DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always worried about the mini motors since I take off from Sandy places mostly.

alopeznj

Reactions
Probably better to find some type of landing/takeoff pad.
Anything other than air will not be good for the motors and the camera system. If I don’t have a suitable takeoff spot, I don’t fly there. Probably the only substance that is worse than dust/dirt/sand is H2O mixed with a bit of NaCl.
Camera air bottle may not have enough pressure.
Be careful and have fun!

I would also worry about excessive heat due to reduced airflow to cool the motors. Like above, just get a landing pad. Maybe an oversized one for more protection.

Hand launch and land and keep it off the sand perhaps?
That is when hand launch practice becomes very convenient. I had to use hand launch a few times when the ground was uneven or from a jet ski.

Get one of those launch pads. I bought one right before I went to the beach last month. It provides a level clean area to set up and launch. They come with little stakes to hold it down.

I seen this online. Motor covers !

I do blow out the motors with my Camera air spray, prob not even necessary.

Any comments ?
I never fly without my trusty landing pad. It's so easy to pack and I only use hand catch if I am on a severely un-level surface (steep trails, rocky terrain, sandy or wet surfaces, etc).

I seen this online. Motor covers !

I do blow out the motors with my Camera air spray, prob not even necessary.

Any comments ?
I bought a landing pad for the Mini it's too low ! online they have extenders that you can put on the back & front legs Ebay or Drone Valley has them this helps in high grass the Landing Pad I use on the Mavic Air 2 very useful not for show

Regardless of whether you launch by hand, the launch pad is very useful as a place to set up, switch filters, batteries, assemble tablet mount and shade. I used to use one of my 5-in-1 reflectors, but the launch pads pack smaller and lighter. The leg extenders are also essential since all of the Mavics sit so low.

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
I do have the aluminum motor covers on my Mavic Mini And have flown with no problems. However I have never flown in temperatures as high as what they get in Arizona. Maybe I’m just lucky??

Four words: Hand launch and catch. These skills are not particularly difficult to master and you'll be doing your bird a huge favor. Totally changed my game :)

I will Hand launch when required but I no longer hand catch as twice I sliced my fingers open. I use a pizza box for a landing pad, I also keep my sun shade hood in the box for storage.

there is zero excuse for launching from a bad surface. everyone who has responded knows that and abides by it.

Having a landing pad very useful, I would never try hand launching or catching in flight.
I like my fingers, you young ones, are quicker. I use landing pads for take off and landings.

Having a landing pad very useful, I would never try hand launching or catching in flight.
I like my fingers, you young ones, are quicker. I use landing pads for take off and landings.
Hand takeoffs and landings should be with a completely motionless and flat hand. No hand speed involved and no fingers anywhere in harms way.

It is a good skill to have for the cases when there are no good alternatives. I practice it about one out of every ten times I fly.

Reactions: rickfmdj
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard