DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I expecting too much?

I'm about to admit I was wrong...I know, I am shocked as well. I just noticed something interesting while slowly scrubbing through the video on my iPhone. Each individual frame is crystal clear, but more importantly is that there are, in fact, 24 distinct frames in each second (surprise surprise considering you filmed it @24fps ;))

With how choppy it was, I was under the impression that it was skipping frames, but the camera is showing you exactly what you asked it to. So that brings my to the topic: What does "Cinematic" even mean? In my mind, and probably most others, that term cinematic somehow equates to "my video will look good.......somehow".

Well, as we can see, 24fps doesn't look like it does in Lord of the Rings. It kinda looks like s*** actually. The difference is when you pause a quick moving scene in LOTR, the video is blurry. In our videos we get a snapshot so clear we can frame it and put it on our wall. It seems that for 24fps to work right and look good, your brain needs to have ALL the visual information contained in a panned scene, even if that means taking two frames and smearing the transition from one to the next (i.e. slow the shutter down like everyone keeps suggesting so that each frame is a blurry smear of light)

Apparently your brain is simultaneously lazy enough to see a blurry panned scene and think "huh...well I guess that was just too fast for me to process so I'll just assume it was clear and be happy with it" but also when shown 24 clear distinct frames per second it's like "nah man....nah see that's some ******** right there, you can't fool me...where's the rest of the information??"

So I guess the answer to the question – what is cinematic? – would be "blurry fast moving objects shown to your brain really slowly"

The only other option is to film in a higher frame rate and give your brain the missing information between the frames.
Fantastic answer

maybe i am expecting too much but when I'm viewing the video on my mac it doesn't look good and nowhere near as good as my Yuneec!! if I view the video on my phone or iPad it doesn't look too bad and I wonder why I'm moaning like a woman!!!
Sometimes you may find that the codec been used to play the DJI file on your mac is at fault and causing the stutter.
A lot of people complain about playback of video on mac or PC and blame the Mavic when all along its the codec being used on the device to playback the video. I notice this regularly from my PC to my Samsung S5 which plays back 4k fluently but my PC plays 4k jittery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barny19
Sometimes you may find that the codec been used to play the DJI file on your mac is at fault and causing the stutter.
A lot of people complain about playback of video on mac or PC and blame the Mavic when all along its the codec being used on the device to playback the video. I notice this regularly from my PC to my Samsung S5 which plays back 4k fluently but my PC plays 4k jittery.
Thanks for that. I was wondering if my mac was compounding the issue because if I resize the window the image looks terrible!

Re-reading what you've been saying, it seems like you are describing a playback problem. I see a smooth video at all times, just with the shutter speed a little on the high side for some tastes, but every frame is there with no drops. Try saving the video at a lower resolution and see if the flicker goes away.

Barney and HP do seem to agree on a lot, haha.

they are sending my drone back from repair. It's not the same S/N and on the repair paper, they said they change the gimbal. I'll try asap and let you know if I still have the stutter "issue"

they are sending my drone back from repair. It's not the same S/N and on the repair paper, they said they change the gimbal. I'll try asap and let you know if I still have the stutter "issue"
That's great thanks

That's great thanks
So, after the first flight with the new drone, i can sadly say that the "problem" is still there. So in the end, it might not be a problem and i was expecting a bit too much also. The next step for me is to buy the ND filter to see if it will change something. Anyways, it was worth the try to send it back to be sure mine didn't had an issue. Now i know !

So, after the first flight with the new drone, i can sadly say that the "problem" is still there. So in the end, it might not be a problem and i was expecting a bit too much also. The next step for me is to buy the ND filter to see if it will change something. Anyways, it was worth the try to send it back to be sure mine didn't had an issue. Now i know !
That's a shame and yes I agree it was worth the try. I'm happier now I have accepted that my Mavic doesn't take as good a video as my iPhone and I have to compensate for it!. I use 2.7k 30fps with an ND filter and pan very slowly. This gives very pleasing results.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard