DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I expecting too much?

Barny19

Reactions
Hi is something wrong or am I expecting too much?.

I have just sold my Yuneec Q5004k and purchased a Mavic however the video quality is nowhere near as good!!

The following clips were taken at 2.7k 24fps. one on Auto and the other with a manual shutter speed of 60.

No matter what video size, frame rate or shutter speed it always looks shaky when I pan even if I pan really slow!

Is it me??

<iframe src="2.7k 24fps auto from David Lane on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">2.7k 24fps auto</a> from <a href="David Lane">David Lane</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="2.7k 24fps m60 from David Lane on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">2.7k 24fps m60</a> from <a href="David Lane">David Lane</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I have just sold my Yuneec Q5004k and purchased a Mavic however the video quality is nowhere near as good!!

The following clips were taken at 2.7k 24fps. one on Auto and the other with a manual shutter speed of 60.

No matter what video size, frame rate or shutter speed it always looks shaky when I pan even if I pan really slow!

Is it me??

<iframe src="2.7k 24fps auto from David Lane on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">2.7k 24fps auto</a> from <a href="David Lane">David Lane</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="2.7k 24fps m60 from David Lane on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">2.7k 24fps m60</a> from <a href="David Lane">David Lane</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

You are panning a bit fast. I found by watching the screen I could slow the pan because it is hard to judge the pan rate unless you see it on the screen. I would also suggest changing to 30fps.

The whole point of using 24fps IS to make it look stuttery in the classic cinema way. So if you don't want that, shoot at 30.

Reactions: FantasticMrF
I had this problem too. I returned the mavic for a repair (DOA)

My raw panning footage is brilliant, however youtube rips the cr4p out of it and introduces stutters....not tried vimeo.

Reactions: Hexagon
The whole point of using 24fps IS to make it look stuttery in the classic cinema way. So if you don't want that, shoot at 30.
I've tried at 30 in fact all frame rates and it's still not good!
My raw panning footage is brilliant, however youtube rips the cr4p out of it and introduces stutters....not tried vimeo.
Is the raw footage good at 24 or 30fps?

I have a Yuneeq Q500 and now they Mavic and actually think they are both on par, not surmising as they both use the Amberella video processor chip. I agree that panning needs to be done very slowly, if you want to pan that fast use a ND filter.

Is it me??

<p><a href="

<p><a href="

Have you tried using an ND filter to slow your shutter speed?

How will less light help?
Less light will slow down the shutter speed, or allow you to slow down the shutter with out over exposure, allowing a slight blur (motion blur) that is more natural to the eye when panning. A fast shutter speed is good for stop action in still photos.
Also pan slow and steady to get that smooth cinematic look.
Here is a link to an excellent example. Look at 2 minutes into the video.

Less light will slow down the shutter speed, or allow you to slow down the shutter with out over exposure, allowing a slight blur (motion blur) that is more natural to the eye when panning. A fast shutter speed is good for stop action in still photos.
Also pan slow and steady to get that smooth cinematic look.
Here is a link to an excellent example. Look at 2 minutes into the video.
Wow that's a great video thanks for sharing it. I have tried slowing the shutter speed down to 60 and it didn't seem to make any difference! I'm going to try some more with it but I would expect that when in Auto I would get a usable video and I'm not! Thanks again Dave

In auto you cannot control the shutter speed and if it is really bright the shutter speed will be too fast for the frame rate. The shutter speed should be 2x the frame rate. So for example at 24fps shutter should be set to 50 or 30fps shutter set to 60. This can only be set in manual mode. If the video is over exposed using these settings you will need an ND filter.
here is another good video.
Oh my name is Dennis not Dave lol.

Reactions: Blades and Barny19
In auto you cannot control the shutter speed and if it is really bright the shutter speed will be too fast for the frame rate. The shutter speed should be 2x the frame rate. So for example at 24fps shutter should be set to 50 or 30fps shutter set to 60. This can only be set in manual mode. If the video is over exposed using these settings you will need an ND filter.
here is another good video.
Oh my name is Dennis not Dave lol.
Thanks DENNIS lol. I have ordered the same Taco filters!!
I have tried filming again at 2.7k 30fps with a manual shutter speed of 1/60.

I have purposely panned fast to emphasise the issue and I'm sure something is wrong!!

What do you think?

Thanks... Dave
<iframe src="2.730:60 from David Lane on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">2.730:60</a> from <a href="David Lane">David Lane</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Thanks DENNIS lol. I have ordered the same Taco filters!!
I have tried filming again at 2.7k 30fps with a manual shutter speed of 1/60.

I have purposely panned fast to emphasise the issue and I'm sure something is wrong!!

What do you think?

Thanks... Dave
<iframe src="2.730:60 from David Lane on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">2.730:60</a> from <a href="David Lane">David Lane</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>
ps its only really apparent in full screen!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys