DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I in the club now?

You do NOT want to see under the bandages. No less than 4 good cuts, lots of blood...

Landed on a table, was going to miss it by 2" and feared it landing hard on concrete upside down. So I reached in and grabbed 'em!

Calculated decision, but dang those things HURT... split a prop too. goodtimes.
Bet you won’t do that again!! It happens these are not toys lol

You might want to consider getting the Lunar landing pad for the Air 2 while you heal and get comfortable with the drone again. Works with the Mavic Pro / Air 2 / Mavic 2 DJI drones.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

UPDATE the LUNAR LANDING PAD - Now Supports all 4 Drones on a single Landing Pad:
So if you have and Air 2 : Mavic 2 : Mavic Pro you can strap and carry each one with full Support including the Mini :)

Last edited:
As a professional cabinetmaker/finish carpenter for over 35 years, my motto has always been "If it's sharp and whirls around very quickly, keep your hands away from it!". I've managed to keep all 10 fingers intact, so far. BUT...ask me about the time last year after the Cinco de Mayo party when my neighbor tried to launch his Spark upside-down from my patio...after mucho margaritas...it's a long story, but suffice it to say that neither of us were hurt badly! Props are SHARP, ummmkay???

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I say you are in the club my friend. Hope that heals properly and quick.
a very dangerous “prop”position. Thanks folks...I’ll be here all week.

• Haha
Reactions: Medley
Fingers heal, drones dont.... Glad you are ok! Good save!

• Haha
Reactions: Baconmaker
I hand launch and recover all the time. But, as was mentioned: flat palm up, no upward fingers! I always land with camera facing away from me. I’ve never had it roll out of my hand, but a *SLIGHT* roll of the hand one way or the other will negate whatever slight roll it wants to take.

The drone actually has a natural tendency to be level anyway. Also, I’m using the default “mode 2” stick set up. So controller is in my left hand, partially stabilized against my chest, left thumb poised to give full down while my right hand, at full straight out extension, has an upward facing palm for the catch.

Now if I ever join this club of yours, this all becomes null and void and I’ll be too scared to ever do this again.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Hey sabertoothsqrl,
First of all, I love your name. Secondly, from all the feedback you have been getting, I have learned some valuable lessons before I even got hurt.
1, use a landing pad.
2, put the pad on the ground because there is no guarantee that the drone will land perfectly on it.
3, never ever hand catch if you are not totally comfortable doing so or wear some good thick gloves.
I hope you and your drone are doing ok.
Cheers,
Rex
Good advice, Rex. I use a landing pad on the ground for the same reasons. It also provides a relatively smooth surface on grass, sand, gravel, etc, as you know.
I once got nipped on the end of one of my fingers doing a hand catch from below by my MA. Didn't cut through the skin, but sure stung. It was the little bird reminding me not to lose respect for it, I think. The MA2 has more depth to the body and so it's a little less risky, but the blades on that one are pretty sharp, so in general I land on the pad and hand catch only when there's a reason to do so.

Reactions: Rex Peters
I will hand catch my P4’s on the corner of the leg. I saw a guy try to grab his from the bottom leg. The drone rotated in his hand and did a number on his wrist with the props still rotating. I really don’t worry about where I land drones now. I suppose that comes with years of experience now. I think people make too much out of landing in odd places and surfaces. IMO, it’s just not that hard to land anywhere, even on a boat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121