DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moving up in Drone Pilotry, I now have a crash in my logbook!

volition

Reactions
So it is a matter of when not if, especially as I get more confident. But “whoa Nelly” this one was stupid. Take off, roll to the left without looking what’s there and a sign on post decides to get in the way of my props. Down she goes onto her back having a ongoing fit. I quickly reached into the whirring drone underneath grabbed the body and as I tipped it around it shut off the motors.

heart racing, this doesn’t look good I could clearly see all the props had been damaged and the gimbal was definitely of kilter. I placed it on the ground performing a gimbal calibration. But nothing. Thoughts of contacting DJI care refresh crossed my mind. But first let’s turn it off and back on. Perform the gimbal calibration, and voila! It’s looks back in business.

so I bring it back to my car, looking it over. A Small graze on the underside, battery case, gimbal and left antenna leg, but all superficial. It won’t buff out but nothing to really damage those parts. So I replace the props, start it back up with a bit of trepidation. I couldn’t see any cracks the arms are all firm and working as they should, the scrapes on the gimbal fortunately not near the lens. But will it all be as it should.

the battle scarred bird takes off, so far everything as it should. After a full battery testing her out in nearly all modes and automatic functions I don’t have any problems. The log on the following flight is all good. Phew that was close!

so yes, I am proud to say I have crashed my drone! She has some proud scars! Their to remind me to survey the area I am flying a lot more thoroughly in future. In a way it’s given me a little more confidence as it was only caused by bad decisions not my flying skills or through equipment failure.

looking forward to many more hours of flying. The MA2 is a tough little thing in a way, it only fell say 3m but onto concrete and for sure I thought I would be dealing with pieces rather then the whole. But no, I was flying without problem 6 minutes later. That’s pretty darn good.

loving this hobby, what was your first crash story?

So it is a matter of when not if, especially as I get more confident. But “whoa Nelly” this one was stupid. Take off, roll to the left without looking what’s there and a sign on post decides to get in the way of my props. Down she goes onto her back having a ongoing fit. I quickly reached into the whirring drone underneath grabbed the body and as I tipped it around it shut off the motors.

heart racing, this doesn’t look good I could clearly see all the props had been damaged and the gimbal was definitely of kilter. I placed it on the ground performing a gimbal calibration. But nothing. Thoughts of contacting DJI care refresh crossed my mind. But first let’s turn it off and back on. Perform the gimbal calibration, and voila! It’s looks back in business.

so I bring it back to my car, looking it over. A Small graze on the underside, battery case, gimbal and left antenna leg, but all superficial. It won’t buff out but nothing to really damage those parts. So I replace the props, start it back up with a bit of trepidation. I couldn’t see any cracks the arms are all firm and working as they should, the scrapes on the gimbal fortunately not near the lens. But will it all be as it should.

the battle scarred bird takes off, so far everything as it should. After a full battery testing her out in nearly all modes and automatic functions I don’t have any problems. The log on the following flight is all good. Phew that was close!

so yes, I am proud to say I have crashed my drone! She has some proud scars! Their to remind me to survey the area I am flying a lot more thoroughly in future. In a way it’s given me a little more confidence as it was only caused by bad decisions not my flying skills or through equipment failure.

looking forward to many more hours of flying. The MA2 is a tough little thing in a way, it only fell say 3m but onto concrete and for sure I thought I would be dealing with pieces rather then the whole. But no, I was flying without problem 6 minutes later. That’s pretty darn good.

Crashed into a ****** tree. The end.
LOL - Lucky you didn't suffer more damage! Unless they drop from like 20' or so your luck might continue :)

I learned the hard way about no sideways obstacle avoidance (which has improved since the latest update). I also snagged a tree in my backyard. That was my first wreck. Ha! Sucks when it happens but you certainly learn a lot in an instant huh??

I haven't wrecked specifically due to sideways flying at low level - however - my first drone has had both front arm brackets and 1x LR arm - and then separately, + 1x LR arm bracket replaced.
Oh - gimbal bracket / cable as well. Anyway, nothing to be proud of. Except I've repaired each incident at home with minimum downtime :).

I flew sideways into a tree the other day. Moving slowly. No harm done.

Reactions: volition
Went to Ingleton falls in Yorkshire, UK and was going to fly my Air 2 up a waterfall with some gentle rapids. I got to the top of the waterfall and didn’t see the thinnest of branches sticking out and my right front prop hit the branch. The drone wobbled wildly for a couple of seconds then straightened herself. The gimble also got knocked out of kilter so I had to land to recalibrate. I had the intention of trying again but it started raining. If you look at the video at 2.09 that’s where I hit the branch. Stopped filming and backed out. I was lucky the drone didn’t fall into the water as I’d have had to get in to recover the drone for the refresh. We lived to fight another day.

Reactions: Gorm

Not my MA2 (yet) but I was shooting a garden in an old churchyard with my X-Star and walked it through (running) and went to a stone pillar about head height to let it go and fly straight up because it was clear of the trees over the pillar. Did it go straight up???? No, it decided to take off back and to the right straight into the tree in the garden. As an afterthought, I suppose it would have been better NOT to apply throttle and attempt to let it hover first. I had a friend walking it through so I could concentrate on regaining control after he let it go but there was nothing I could do, it just went straight back into the tree. Luckily it survived with propeller scrapes and that was all because it hung in the tree at a little over head height. It's a tough old bird that has survived many a mishap and is still flying.

Meet the Pole dancer ... all my fault & OA might have done good, but the mistake was rotating & then sliding sideways ... I thought I was far enough away from the pole :( It did come out of it flying, which surprised me. Then I saw the camera was slapped to the side by 90 degrees & thought that was fatal. While landing the camera rest & was good. Took off again & went through all 5 batteries on the shoot without incident :) Repair went well & will replace this fall after the leave drop ;)
Crash.
Some of the rest of the day ... with the same props.

Cheers, Jon

Attachments

• 20200902_154020.jpg
    20200902_154020.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200902_181659.jpg
    20200902_181659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200903_171938.jpg
    20200903_171938.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DJI_0977.MP4_20200902_170027.949.jpg
    DJI_0977.MP4_20200902_170027.949.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Went to Ingleton falls in Yorkshire, UK and was going to fly my Air 2 up a waterfall with some gentle rapids. I got to the top of the waterfall and didn’t see the thinnest of branches sticking out and my right front prop hit the branch. The drone wobbled wildly for a couple of seconds then straightened herself. The gimble also got knocked out of kilter so I had to land to recalibrate. I had the intention of trying again but it started raining. If you look at the video at 2.09 that’s where I hit the branch. Stopped filming and backed out. I was lucky the drone didn’t fall into the water as I’d have had to get in to recover the drone for the refresh. We lived to fight another day.
Great story and footage to boot. I've definitely a little less cavalier since my crash. I'm sure that will disspate. lol

Did you have APAS on (or Bypass now) and it just missed the branch because of size or did you have Bypass off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31