DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ama or Not?

Newby question for everyone! Do we as pilots have to join the AMA or anything?
No, all you have to do is follow the rules of any recognized CBO. So far as far as I know the AMA is the only one so far. That does not mean you have to join them.

I'm not sure. You might have to join them for them to give you the secret hand shake so you can access their guidelines. Just kidding but it is that ridicules.

Newby question for everyone! Do we as pilots have to join the AMA or anything?
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

No. There is nothing mandatory to join.

I am somewhat of a bystander in this conversation as I fly recreationally under pt. 107 but what I haven't seen yet in the discussion so far is a comparison of the benefits to flying under AMA rules vs. 44809 rules. To be honest I haven't seen a good descriptions of what those benefits might even be.

Am I missing something?

I am somewhat of a bystander in this conversation as I fly recreationally under pt. 107 but what I haven't seen yet in the discussion so far is a comparison of the benefits to flying under AMA rules vs. 44809 rules. To be honest I haven't seen a good descriptions of what those benefits might even be.

Am I missing something?
Rule 2 of 44809:
(2)
The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

It's not an either or option; not AMA vs 44809. At this point in time it's the AMA way or the highway. As other CBO's emerge, there will be options to choose which CBO one follows.

Am I missing something?
As far as I know there is only one benefit to the CBO. You can fly your >250 gm drone without RID under CBO’s rules at an AMA field. To do so:

1. You need to know AMA’s 16 pages of documents and rules.
2. To fly at their field you would need to be approved. Some AMA fields don’t allow drones.
3. You have a drone that wasn’t updated to an irreversible firmware that enables RID.

Rule 2 of 44809:
(2)
The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

It's not an either or option; not AMA vs 44809. At this point in time it's the AMA way or the highway. As other CBO's emerge, there will be options to choose which CBO one follows.

You are making me glad I decided to take the pt. 107 path.......

• Haha
Reactions: SmilingOgre
As far as I know there is only one benefit to the CBO. You can fly your >250 gm drone without RID under CBO’s rules at an AMA field. To do so:

1. You need to know AMA’s 16 pages of documents and rules.
2. To fly at their field you would need to be approved. Some AMA fields don’t allow drones.
3. You have a drone that wasn’t updated to an irreversible firmware that enables RID.

I will stick with flying recreational under 107 rules. I have no interest in flying in a park and am not concerned about RID at all. I don't hide in the shadows when I am out taking images with my drone other than to keep the sun off of my controller screen.

Rule 2 of 44809:
(2)

Then my question would be: Would it be lawful for CBOs to withhold their guidelines unless a person joins their organization?

Then my question would be: Would it be lawful for CBOs to withhold their guidelines unless a person joins their organization?
It would not. FAA requires free access.

Personally I'm a little frustrated by the announcement that AMA is officially a CBO because I couldn't find any drone guidelines on their site. If its our responsibility to follow the drone guidelines of a CBO, shouldn't they at least publish those before being recognized as a CBO? Better yet, published and a chance for review and comment by the drone community before they are ratified. Instead, they are certified as CBO with nothing I could find on their site other than links to FAA docs, so effectively they could add what ever they want to the guidelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the benefit of becoming an AMA member if you fly drones?...around here they specifically do not allow drones at any of their fields.

Reactions: JoelP
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the benefit of becoming an AMA member if you fly drones?...around here they specifically do not allow drones at any of their fields.

It's not "their fields". It's local flying fields who have opted to join the AMA. Huge difference.

I am, and have been an AMA member for decades. Being a member gives you some insurance and gives some knowledge etc that isn't available unless you opt to join somewhere like THIS FORUM.

:)

• Love
Reactions: Ty Pilot and okw

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure