DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An issue Flying the Mavic in the rain

Grubby

Reactions
I was filming the approach of the leading runner in a mountain running race in south wales, UK, in cloudy, misty conditions. A few minutes in, and the mist become light rain. The mavic seemed fine and I continued filming for about 10 minutes, always thinking that I should land and that I was pushing my luck. The Mavic was never more than 200 yards away, and, although I could visually just see the aircraft, I couldn't see its orientation.
Suddenly, without warning, it stopped flying forward, and refused to go in that direction, after several minutes of me trying. Up, down, backwards and sideways - but not forward. Battery warning came on at 30 and I was getting scared ! RTH refused to function, although it did go to 50m (RTH altitude) A clue - there was a 'Sensor malfunction' warning
In the end, I flew it home sideways.
Took it home dried it carefully.
What had happened ? - Almost certainly the front sensors had been 'blocked' by water droplets, so refused to let me fly forwards.
Lesson, if you're daring or stupid enough to fly in very light rain, turn your Sensors off !!
Hopefully this info will help somebody.

Flies fine since.

Last edited:
There could have been a multitude of things that would have caused your dilemma, all caused by moisture.

I was filming the approach of the leading runner in a mountain running race in south wales, UK, in cloudy, misty conditions. A few minutes in, and the mist become light rain. The mavic seemed fine and I continued filming for about 10 minutes, always thinking that I should land and that I was pushing my luck. The Mavic was never more than 200 yards away, and, although I could visually just see the aircraft, I couldn't see its orientation.
Suddenly, without warning, it stopped flying forward, and refused to go in that direction, after several minutes of me trying. Up, down, backwards and sideways - but not forward. Battery warning came on at 30 and I was getting scared ! RTH refused to function, although it did go to 50m (RTH altitude) A clue - there was a 'Sensor malfunction' warning
What had happened ? - Almost certainly the front sensors had been 'blocked' by water droplets, so refused to let me fly forwards.
Lesson, if you're daring or stupid enough to fly in very light rain, turn your Sensors off !!

Flies fine since.

Flew in rain, some times medium-to-heavy rain, on several continents, and never had a technical problem afterwards.

Be sure to keep the power on after landing until battery dies, and use the internal heat to help dry the bird.

IMG_9138.JPG

Flew in rain, some times medium-to-heavy rain, on several continents, and never had a technical problem afterwards.

Be sure to keep the power on after landing until battery dies, and use the internal heat to help dry the bird.

View attachment 28668
Dude...classic pic with the bottle of beer in the background! o_O

Flies fine since.

If that happens again flip into sport mode. It will disable the sensors. I was flying 5 feet off the ice on a frozen lake yesterday. Every once in a while it would stop dead and the obstacle alarm would come on because it was pitched forward and it was picking up the ground. Sport mode fixed that.

Reactions: Former Member
If that happens again flip into sport mode. It will disable the sensors.

I agree with this comment. Rain could have gotten on to your FOA sensors and made them detect an obstacle that wasnt there. Disabling the sensors would help. That's why it would let you fly sideways but not forward, it thought the obstacle was in front of you.

View attachment 28668
Dude...classic pic with the bottle of beer in the background! o_O
He's obviously German. Germans take many things seriously, bread, meat, cheese, and of course beer.

Flies fine since.
You should have seen my Mavic after the record breaking snowstorm we had down in the Atlanta area. I was flying it during the storm, and it was drenched after 10 minutes, and yes the sensors fogged up, and tripped. Of course I simply switched to sport mode to circumvent that. Of course with the increased sensitivity to pitch and roll, I nearly took off into a tree. :p. The footage I got was amazing, but I didn't dare fly more than a few dozen feet from my location. I was walking with my Mavic as I was flying to make sure I can deal with any issues quickly and safely.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Yep, was flying in snow and a snowflake lodged in one of its "eyes" aka, forward sensors, and stopped her in her tracks. Switched to sport mode and brought her home.

flying in the rain is akin to running your computer in the rain,just asking for headaches....

Flies fine since.

There are a few water resistant drones out there now a days. The one that seems the most popular is the splash drone. I wish they were all at least water resistant. I don’t need a drone that can swim. Just would be nice to have one that will survive if it starts raining midflight or gets a little wet In a wet landing area.

There are a few water resistant drones out there now a days. The one that seems the most popular is the splash drone. I wish they were all at least water resistant. I don’t need a drone that can swim. Just would be nice to have one that will survive if it starts raining midflight or gets a little wet In a wet landing area.
The Mavic does have some water resistance to it. Just bring it back if it actually starts raining, you'll likely be fine.

You should have seen my Mavic after the record breaking snowstorm we had down in the Atlanta area. I was flying it during the storm, and it was drenched after 10 minutes, and yes the sensors fogged up, and tripped. Of course I simply switched to sport mode to circumvent that. Of course with the increased sensitivity to pitch and roll, I nearly took off into a tree. :p. The footage I got was amazing, but I didn't dare fly more than a few dozen feet from my location. I was walking with my Mavic as I was flying to make sure I can deal with any issues quickly and safely.

“Record breaking Atlanta snowstorm”

Is that where you guys got like an inch of snow?

Reactions: m0j0 and mrwagdog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo