DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anamorphic lens from Freewell... for Mavic Air 2 - Anyone tried it yet?

Northwood Mediaworks

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Was reviewing this video, not available here in Canada just yet...

I was not that impressed with the Moment offering, this looks better IMHO

The Freewell looks great, but I haven’t used it personally. Moment generally makes quality items, but reviews on Amazon for its M2P anamorphic lens are not great.

Moment generally makes quality items, but reviews on Amazon for its M2P anamorphic lens are not great.
It was terrible! So heavy, the gimbal would randomly go limp in flight, and required fighting with the live gimbal to install the lens and the massive counterweight! Swapping batteries required uninstalling and reinstalling the entire setup! Damage to the fragile gimbal was guaranteed, and at your own risk. Moment also has an onerous return policy that was impossible to comply with, so most purchasers got stuck with a terrible very expensive lens they could not return! :(

Too much advertising kills advertising ...

do I want to go to all that trouble...is it really worth it? I hope somebody convinces me that it is.

do I want to go to all that trouble...is it really worth it? I hope somebody convinces me that it is.
Lots of videos on YouTube regarding anamorphic lenses on drones. Here’s another:

It’s worth it if you want a more “cinematic” look for your footage. The Freewell product isn’t much of an investment at $40 USD.

Am I missing somnething here? For the same effect can't you just do this in post-edit, if you really want the 'cinematic' look on your footage? Why go to the bother of buying and installing another lens on your drone?

Yesterday I received my Freewell Anamorphic lens and ran up to the mountain to test. I’m super impressed with the quality compared to other offerings on the market. Freewell did an excellent job and the materials are top notch.

My observations from the testing:

PROS:
1. It is very well built and clicks on securely to the camera.
2. There was no issue with gimbal overload or random drop of the gimbal.
3. The de-squeeze to 2.39:1 US Cinematic Widescreen results in a much wider side to side view.
4. While this lens doesn’t provide any ND filtering it remains 99.9% clear and footage is not affected.

CONS:
1. As far as fuzzy edges or blurred edges, I only notice a very small drop in sharpness on the side where light source is coming from.
2. The gimbal protector will not go on with the anamorphic lens installed, so you have to remove it when done.
3. This is minor to me, but you will see some curvature in your shot.
a. Below target focus you will see a smile curve
b. Facing target there will be no curvature
c. Above focus target you will see frown curvature.
4. There is no ND filtering so motion shots will not achieve motion blur we’re all used to seeing. This limits its uses but a few post process tricks can surely remedy this.

Overall I give this lens a 4.8 out of 5 because it’s quality is outstanding.

Here is a video of the comparison then remaining is all shot using the anamorphic lens.

Nice report. Mine came the other day, but I haven’t used it yet. I really like the widescreen, and I think I can desqueeze easily in LumaFusion, which is my primary editing software. I think the blurring and edge distortions are so minimal that you would really have to be looking carefully for them to even notice. Let’s face it, we’re talking about a half-inch sensor, not a Hollywood movie camera. There are going to be limitations.

Last edited:
I got this lens month before.
Absolutely beautiful from aspect ratio side.
Full, absolutely full crap from image quality side. No any doubts it crap, point.
Will bought if the lens will be produced by serious manufacturer.
Haven't any problems with gimbal - no overloading, drifts.

Did you get the Freewell lens? Can you be more specific about what you dislike?
No, it was regular lens from Ali. It was fuzzy.
Didn't know that Freewell produced anamorphic lens already! Thank you very much for information. Not catched in the topic name - now it is late night time. Very sorry and thanks!

Check the video on the Freewell product in my post #10 above. It looks pretty impressive and has gotten good reviews from those who have panned other anamorphics.

Ordered from Freewell immediately.
But now holidays in China till 8th, have to wait.)
Will check image quality when it arrive.

Reactions: Kyle76
Was reviewing this video, not available here in Canada just yet...

I was not that impressed with the Moment offering, this looks better IMHO

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d