DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android: Stop USB charging DJI devices...

davemgood

Reactions
On the Android, enable Developer Options (Google: How to set Android Developer Options)

In Developer Options, look for 'USB Configuration' and select MIDI or another option except 'Charging'.

NOTE: Do NOT have your DJI and Android connected when enabling Developer Options and changing the USB Configuration.

It does NOT disable charging.

"Charging" is "charging only". Others are "charging + whatever other function is selected" even when it's not explicitly mentioned.

Reactions: 4wd and Dragonfly
You can just tap the USB connection on the pull down and change that FYI. Don't think you need dev options turned on.
Where do you find that, in settings?

Thanks for the reply. I have a Note8 and the latest version of Android for that smartphone and didn't find it in the 'notification area'. I did find a notification that comes on when I plug in the charging cable and a drop down menu that tells you the percentage of charge, but no other information - nothing on how to change the USB port.

Since I'm on my 6th Android, I'll stick with my original post. I know that works.

"Charging" is "charging only". Others are "charging + whatever other function is selected" even when it's not explicitly mentioned.

Is it an earlier version of Android? I'm on version 8.0.

i cant get this to work,,,i eneterd dev mode and selected midi and restarted but when i connect to my rc it still charges,,,then i click the usb in notifications and it still says charge this phone,,,,it wont let me change it there,,,,am i doing some thing wrong,,

No because no matter what it will charge. It is an Android limitation. Unless some has changed very recently you absolutely can NOT TURN IT OFF Android USB Charging disable?

Thanks for the reply. I have a Note8 and the latest version of Android for that smartphone and didn't find it in the 'notification area'.

No when you plug it in on the pull down for the connection > click the banner. You can select what USB mode you want it in. No need to go to Dev options. It has worked this way for many versions.

i cant get this to work,,,i eneterd dev mode and selected midi and restarted but when i connect to my rc it still charges,,,then i click the usb in notifications and it still says charge this phone,,,,it wont let me change it there,,,,am i doing some thing wrong,,
No because no matter what it will charge. It is an Android limitation. Unless some has changed very recently you absolutely can NOT TURN IT OFF Android USB Charging disable?

No when you plug it in on the pull down for the connection > click the banner. You can select what USB mode you want it in. No need to go to Dev options. It has worked this way for many versions.
That way doesn't work for me.

In the Developers Options, turn on USB Debugging. Try again and let me know.

When I get home, I'll post on this message the Android configuration for DJI devices - probably for any drone that has USB ports. In addition, it includes all the other things you need for Android to get better experience. DJI caters to Apple iPhone, but there are some adjustments for the Android - not just USB Charging. I'll post them here when I get home from work.

UPDATE:

Here is a link that I bookmarked about a year ago. I was using the Note 8 at that time. Hope this guide is helpful. The info should still be very relevant.

BTW, I turn off the USB on the CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 (an Android tab) using the same basic theory. The interface is simple and it uses version 4.xx of Android. Works great. I get great battery life on the RC.

Also, I didn't have to root the phone. I did root the 3 previous Android phones, but for different reasons.

Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

Last edited:
Hi Gene,

Check the link in my last post before this one. You can do it. It's not a 'limitation' - at least not for me. I doubt that it won't be for you either.

Reactions: genesimmons
Hi Gene,

Check the link in my last post before this one. You can do it. It's not a 'limitation' - at least not for me. I doubt that it won't be for you either.
thanx for the link, ill try it this weekend, hope it works and i can get better battery life from the rc

Seems that between Android versions and which Launcher you use determines whether on not you see the same Settings. It works for me and has for 3 years+.

Seems that between Android versions and which Launcher you use determines whether on not you see the same Settings. It works for me and has for 3 years+.

This is so strange.

I have the same phone as you but I am getting the results others are getting.
-USB Debugging on
-Set USB to MIDI while RC is not connected
-Have Android 8.0

Once I connect the RC it changes the option in dev options automatically to "Charge this phone"

Here is an updated video to show what myself, and others are seeing.
NOTE: The phone is unplugged when you see me changing the setting in the video.
You can tell when I plug it in because the setting magically changes by itself.

Something that might help us figure out how you are able to get this to work would be knowing some details of your phone.

-What model / carrier is your phone? (N950U or N950U1) (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, ATT)
-Which Samsung Android Build are you on? (not Android version)
-Does the DJI app auto launch or display a pop up when you connect your RC to the phone?

Thanks for the previous replies.
I am hopeful. :)

This does not work on Android 8.x but I do not know if they fixed this in Android 9. The DJI GO 4 Application will turn charging back on because, as some android forums have theorized, data transfer uses the current. Apparently, people have tried severing the wire that carries the current and after doing so, the wire doesn't work to transfer data.

I dont know anything beyond that but I can tell you I have looked into this for my SG Note 9, and no matter if I do anything in the Developers options or the pulldown USB options, the charging comes back on.

This does not work on Android 8.x but I do not know if they fixed this in Android 9. The DJI GO 4 Application will turn charging back on because, as some android forums have theorized, data transfer uses the current. Apparently, people have tried severing the wire that carries the current and after doing so, the wire doesn't work to transfer data.

I dont know anything beyond that but I can tell you I have looked into this for my SG Note 9, and no matter if I do anything in the Developers options or the pulldown USB options, the charging comes back on.

davemgood says that hes able to get it to work on his Note 8 with Android 8.x. hmm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi