DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android vs iOS

ISpeekW00kie

Reactions
So I didn't really see a thread about what works better, and I am trying to find out. I'm a die hard Android user, but was planning on getting a tablet for use with the Mavic. My question is, does one work better than the other and if so, what is your experience.

Both tablets will have mobile data with Verizon if that makes any difference...

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Both have been working fine for me. I can tell you DJI usually releases new iOS updates first and new features sometimes don't make it into the Android version of DJI GO right away. Also, if you plan to use any 3rd party apps, you should check them out to make sure they are available on the OS you decide to go with.

I use both, but predominantly an android device (Z3). Both work beautifully for me. One thing I did realise early on though, use the bottom standard USB connection rather than the mini USB connector on the side of the rc. I found the side connector to be rife with problems, particularly on android.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

My Android works fine and it's an older Galaxy S4.

Unless you have used both OS with the GO4 app while flying the Mavic,....you really should not respond. I'm a hardcore android fan to the bone. But for the GO4 app and Mavic the ios version gets the thumbs up over android.

I wish it was the other way around, but Dji has had better luck with ios.

Last edited:
I'm missing peak threshold on android, make it so much easier to stay in focus

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm missing peak threshold on android, make it so much easier to stay in focus

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using MavicPilots mobile app
It's in the latest Android update.
Works with no issues on Galaxy S5 here,there's no doubt more problems come to light on Android due to the multiple variations and devices it's installed on, I struggle to see that IOS is intrinsically better.
The best option is probably what you already have for most.

Unless you have used both OS with the GO4 app while flying the Mavic,....you really should not respond. I'm a hardcore android fan to the bone. But the for the GO4 app and Mavic the ios version gets the thumbs up over android.

I wish it was the other way around, but Dji has had better luck with ios.
Right now I do not have a tablet, but what you're saying here makes sense. Multiple facets for Android vs there only being one device on iOS essentially.

So I guess what it comes down to now is whether the tablet is on mobile data or not. And from what I've read so far here is that without data, then you don't get map overlays whereas you would with data. Correct?

Reactions: mbarnes5
Not exactly, in Android you can now download the maps and have them available offline all the time (but no satellite image) In IOS you can view and cache on wifi before your flight.
Also you can probably use a smartphone as wifi hotspot.
Maps aren't always essential if flying close by.
It will still know where it is by GPS and set home point etc

Reactions: ISpeekW00kie
Fly zones vs no fly zones.

I'm not sure if the Fly Zones feature is currently on both OS or not. Plus I haven't checked to see if the feature alone functions he way it is suppose to. I do know on my last ios flight I had a message display saying I was in a xxxxx zone (I forget the exact wording) with additional detail. It was a message I had never received before. I also know nothing different has appeared on the map in regards to the fly zone. Some of this might be due to the fact that I live a mile from any zone I've seen near me in the past.

I have been flying with a galaxy note 4, no issues. However, since I use the same device to fly my P3S, I have to constantly go in and force close Go, before using Go 4 or Litchi. It's kind of a pain. I am picking up an iPad mini 4 for the Mavic. For a few reasons. One, iOS does get released earlier than Android for the Go apps. And two, I like the larger screen vs a cell phone for flying. And three, lots of folks on here have recommended it...so kind of following the herd.
One other observation I'll add...in the case of Litchi, the developers there seem to favor android over iOS, at least that's the impression I get from reading the online help.

Reactions: nomad33fw
I am an Android user. My LG V20 phone crashes every minute or so with the DJI Go 4 app.

I have started using my Samsung S2 9.7 tablet instead. No crashes and a lovely big screen. I setup a WiFi hotspot from my phone so my tablet has full maps, etc. (I know a lot of phone companies overseas block wifi sharing. Luckily that's not a thing in Australia. Wifi sharing is free until you hit your data limit)

Samsung tablet WITHOUT the crashes is my screen of choice with the Mavic now.

I use both, but predominantly an android device (Z3). Both work beautifully for me. One thing I did realise early on though, use the bottom standard USB connection rather than the mini USB connector on the side of the rc. I found the side connector to be rife with problems, particularly on android.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Such as?

Yeah, I'm using my Pixel XL for now until I get my tablet mount. It's with my cousin so he can machine a longer arm for me. After that, I'll be using a Samsung Tab 4 until I can get an iPad Mini 4.

I am using an iPhone 6+ And have had zero disconnects through 37 flights.

Whatever device you get I suggest you make sure it has built in GPS.
You will need that if you want to utilize some of the features of the Mavic.

I should mention that most of the posts about disconnects revolve around android devices. It seems to be hit or miss with getting the right device.

Rob

Reactions: Hellsbellsidaho

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito