DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying neighbors.

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
Well if the HOA get enough complaints they will amend the rules. Sadly most people don't understand have air craft.
If only takes a few bad apples to hurt it for others.
You get better things your way with honey then vinger.
We can't always get along with everyone. Those you steer away from.

Good afternoon to all-
I guess I'm lucky to live where I live- out in the country. I have had one neighbor come up on me as I was flying- he was walking his pit bull- just about the sweetest dog I've ever met- anyway, my neighbor walked up and asked what I was doing. I showed him my controller and brought the drone in closer. He wanted to know all about it and how hard it is to fly and how expensive- the usual questions from non-droners.
When I read about the crap some of you other pilots have to put up, it sure makes me glad to live down here in the wilds of southernmost Alabama- where folks just don't give a rat's hiney what other folks are doing as long as they don't impose. I have found- no matter what the situation is- that someone who gripes about "being spied on" they are either doing something illegal or they WANT to be spied on.
And again, I would not live in a place with a HOA and other such control-freak operations. I wouldn't last a week in that sort of situation.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

True but sometimes it’s way to windy to fly that high

Sometimes just because we CAN fly doesn't mean we SHOULD fly. Is it really worth causing issues in your home neighborhood?

I just can’t work out the desire to fly from a home in an urban environment / suburb.
It must be just for fun, or testing, not taking cinematic video or taking awesome landscape photos etc.
I really can’t see the attraction of flying around my neighbourhood, only did this maybe twice in the past 5 years.

If a short drive to a quiet local park or sports oval isn’t possible for such activities, is it more a matter of ‘can’t be bothered’ spending the time going somewhere more suitable ?
I would think there’d be places most of the population of suburbs could fly within short walking distance too, which provides a lot of health benefit too.

I understand if people may have mobility issues or maybe time issues to fly and from home is possibly their only drone time possible, but really this would apply to a very minimum number of situations I’m sure.

Where do we draw the line for not standing up for our rights? .......

It depends on how far you want to push it. That's purely a judgement call. I don't remember seeing that Drone Operations is a "Right" but I agree it would suck if I couldn't fly from my yard.

I'm just saying make sure it's a hill you're willing to die on and that it's worth the fight.

.........One other question, what are the rules concerning disturbing a pilot during a flight?
Some people try to apply US Code 49, ~46504 "Interference with Flight Crew Members and Attendants" to UAS but it doesn't apply. The first FIVE words of the code pretty much nullifies that one:

"An individual on an aircraft..."

If you want to dive into the actual wording it's pretty straight forward at:

It depends on how far you want to push it. That's purely a judgement call. I don't remember seeing that Drone Operations is a "Right" but I agree it would suck if I couldn't fly from my yard.

I'm just saying make sure it's a hill you're willing to die on and that it's worth the fight.

Some people try to apply US Code 49, ~46504 "Interference with Flight Crew Members and Attendants" to UAS but it doesn't apply. The first FIVE words of the code pretty much nullifies that one:

"An individual on an aircraft..."

If you want to dive into the actual wording it's pretty straight forward at:

Thanks, Al that clarifies all I need to know.

Like vou I live in the middle of nowhere it's great to be able to just drive out a dirt road and fly

Good morning to all-
I'd say 99% of my drone flying is done very close to my home- walking distance. For instance, I can walk 1/4 mile down my road to a 40 acre open area- a hay field, literally- where I can launch and use as my starting area. I can walk behind my house to a lovely open area- probably 20 acres- where I launch to go on my "to town fly over" operations.
And once I travel less than a mile in any direction from my house, there's noting but miles and miles of woods and bottomlands- very, very few houses.
I know not everyone has my situation, but when I fly BVLOS, all I see are trees and more trees. It is very nice, I should say.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Don't make your neighbors angry; you have to live in the neighborhood. It's not always about being right.
I avoid this potential problem by walking a few minutes and taking off from an area I’m not known in. I avoid hassle wherever possible

I live
Hello! Wondering if anyone else’s neighbors have done this… I live in a small non hoa neighborhood. I usually fly my mini 1 at least 200ft above the ground when flying above houses just to avoid stuff like this. I was flying around mid day and I didn’t realize I was flying over my neighbors house down the street and once I was on a walk later that day they shouted out to me to stop trespassing, that I was spying on them, and they were super toxic in general. I try to ignore people like this and I don’t care if they call the cops or not because I have the flight logs to show that I was just passing over (not above people). They have told other neighbors and the same thing has happened over and over. Any thoughts?
I live in an HOA community with many homes pretty tight together and fly whenever I want in the back yard. There’s a park very nearby with a good-sized lake so that’s more ideal for distance. However when in the back yard I shoot my drone straight up, always 300-400 feet. Nobody complains, really nobody can. If somehow the battery fails it would fall right onto my property, unless the winds aren’t calm which is not an issue since I only fly in the yard when it’s very calm. IF anyone ever dared complain though, which I can’t imagine, as long as you know you haven’t done a thing wrong, get right back up on them and fire right back- don’t take BS from paranoid idiots.

Anyone that hides is allowing the Drone Karens to think they are even more right. You are obviously breaking the law if you are hiding right?

Are you going to allow your neighbor to tell you your kids can’t ride bikes because they don’t want them near their property? How about a barbecue? Do they get to tell you that you can’t cook out because they don’t like meat?

If no, then why do they get to police our drone flights? Let them get away with it once and they are right forever in their minds.

Mike

It is all about exercising our freedoms without pain in the butt neighbors telling us we can’t.

If a neighbor is jerk enough to complain about that youbaren’t going to make them happy no matter what you do so enjoy your hobby legally and tell them to go pound salt. Then explain to other neighbors that are friendly what the situation is so they know who is right.

I am not a person that is going to stand by and let some jackass tell me I can’t do what I am legally allowed to do. They can listen and learn the rules quietly or things can get loud and cops can come drag them off for harrassment.

Mike
I like!

It's a balance thing.
Normal suburbs not too bad.
HOA over there (the US) can apparently vote in special community rules, so prolonged arguments with neighbours can lead to even hasher bans within the grounds / area.
Better in some situations to be onside with neighbours, maybe start a local drone club (hmm, maybe not, that'll really set 'em off).

I live in a hybrid rural area (I have 6 acres but most lots are 1 or 2 acres). I have a M2EA and have helped folks in the neighborhood locate lost pets and even spot coyotes. I announced my willingness to help in these types of issues and now my neighbors love that I have a drone.

Reactions: Defens and Moozer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead