DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another new Drone from DJI DJI Air 2S

There certainly seems to be a trend among some people to want the newest drones with all the latest technology. However, I just wonder how often (if ever, in some cases) these features are actually used. I have a Mini 1 and there isn’t anything I need it to do that it can’t. I don’t personally need 4k video and I don’t print photos from it large enough to need a higher resolution camera. Where I fly, the range I get is easily enough to reach the limit of VLOS. I’m careful of where, and how, I fly - I don’t fly through trees or in confined areas so I don’t need obstacle avoidance. I stay alert to the weather. I don’t fly on very windy days so blow-aways aren’t a problem for me (so the Mini’s maximum speed isn't a limitation). I looked forward to waypoints and tracking being provided by third-party apps but, apart from trying the features out, I haven’t actually needed to use them so far. Some people may genuinely need these features, but I suspect most don’t.

At some point in the future I’ll probably upgrade my drone but it certainly won’t be until one comes along which is fully compliant with the new regulations and provides something I consider essential that my existing drone doesn’t have. I just don’t see the point in buying a drone which in a year or two will have significant restrictions imposed on it. To each his own, I guess.

There certainly seems to be a trend among some people to want the newest drones with all the latest technology. However, I just wonder how often (if ever, in some cases) these features are actually used. I have a Mini 1 and there isn’t anything I need it to do that it can’t. I don’t personally need 4k video and I don’t print photos from it large enough to need a higher resolution camera. Where I fly, the range I get is easily enough to reach the limit of VLOS. I’m careful of where, and how, I fly - I don’t fly through trees or in confined areas so I don’t need obstacle avoidance. I stay alert to the weather. I don’t fly on very windy days so blow-aways aren’t a problem for me (so the Mini’s maximum speed isn't a limitation). I looked forward to waypoints and tracking being provided by third-party apps but, apart from trying the features out, I haven’t actually needed to use them so far. Some people may genuinely need these features, but I suspect most don’t.

At some point in the future I’ll probably upgrade my drone but it certainly won’t be until one comes along which is fully compliant with the new regulations and provides something I consider essential that my existing drone doesn’t have. I just don’t see the point in buying a drone which in a year or two will have significant restrictions imposed on it. To each his own, I guess.
I had to smile at this statement :I don’t fly on very windy days ,you must live somewhere very sheltered ,i live on the north east coast and most days its so windy, recently if less than 30mph its a bonus,i can safely fly the MA2 in 35mph tested frequently but no way would i attempt anything smaller ,the baby Spark lives in its case most of its life unfortunately.the wind drives me insane if im honest i need to move somewhere where its warm and clam ,unlike the sideways snow as i write this.....:mad:

Reactions: Droniac
I had to smile at this statement :I don’t fly on very windy days ,you must live somewhere very sheltered
Not at all. You just seem to live somewhere very windy. The average wind speed in the UK is 8 to 9 knots (roughly around 9 to 10 mph) - look at the Highlights and Table tabs here:

That means that half of the time it’s less than that. I would consider 30 mph very windy for flying my Mini (so wouldn’t fly it) but most days where I live in the Midlands it’s significantly less than this.

Not at all. You just seem to live somewhere very windy. The average wind speed in the UK is 8 to 9 knots (roughly around 9 to 10 mph) - look at the Highlights and Table tabs here:

That means that half of the time it’s less than that. I would consider 30 mph very windy for flying my Mini (so wouldn’t fly it) but most days where I live in the Midlands it’s significantly less than this.
try living on the north sea coast !!! i bet in the last 3 weeks its been over 40mph at least 10 times they are probably london averages lol ,nothing exists outside of london in the stats ,we often laugh about some of the rubbish we see and hear up north.:D:Dtoday is only 24mph according to UAV forecast.but 4c

try living on the north sea coast !!! i bet in the last 3 weeks its been over 40mph at least 10 times they are probably london averages lol ,nothing exists outside of london in the stats ,we often laugh about some of the rubbish we see and hear up north.:D:Dtoday is only 24mph according to UAV forecast.but 4c
I used to live in Middlesbrough:

You can change to mph in the settings. Over the past 10 years, the average wind speed rarely exceeded 15 mph and was usually around 10 mph.

It's a lot like cell phones I suppose, but at least with a cell phone, I use it all day, every day. :)

I remember having similar thoughts as you when I was flying the GoPro Karma. I liked it... it suited my needs. To this day there are still aspects of the KARMA that I like better than DJI products...that said...there are aspects of DJI products that I like better than the KARMA...and when I upgraded to the MAVIC Air, I was quite happy with some of the additional features. :)

A drone is not a "need" it is a luxury. I know some of you will disagree. LOL. Do I need 4K video or the ability to fly 5 miles away from my controller? No, but some of these advanced features are nice to have. using 4k video or taking higher resolution photos allows more editing freedom for my final product. For example, I can do zoom effects or digital zoom after converting 4k footage into 1080p footage without too much noticeable distortion. Being able to film at 60 fps gives me additional freedom to slow down footage or make other changes. Active track is a feature that I have almost never used, but in cases where I wanted to use it.. it was a nice feature to have.

I'm intrigued by the one-inch sensor on the 2S. It has me wondering what the MAVIC 3 Pro will have in store for us. I love the power and portability of the Air...and will probably stick with this product line when I eventually upgrade... but DJI certainly has my attention. do I need a one-inch sensor on my camera? no... but just because I don't need a rig capable of better photos and videos doesn't mean that it wouldn't be nice to have... depending on the price of course. LOL.

I used to live in Middlesbrough:

You can change to mph in the settings. Over the past 10 years, the average wind speed rarely exceeded 15 mph and was usually around 10 mph.
Wow.....just checked the last 10 days from yesterday.lowest was 19mph highest was 46mph in my village.
these are peak gusts .

Last edited:
Again, this is naïve. Innovation in drone technology is highly weight sensitive to optimize battery range, and camera performance. Upgradeable products are always heavier and more expensive to incorporate modularity, not to mention harder to support. Apple doesn't allow upgradability in their highly clamped down products for that main issue. Drone designs are also driven by the silicon, which evolves every year to provide less weight, more performance, less power consumption.
I agree that they are skilled. But upgradeable doesn't have to compromise weight. Especially when you keep things within similar envelopes. Perhaps on the ultralight end that might matter as in for sub 250 but even then It could be done. Support is one thing but i think the main reason not to go for upgradeability is counting on upgrade cycle for income.

So it's not talent or even technical issues(especially for bigger drones) it probabaly has more to do with business decisions and perhaps certification. DIY FPVs don't suffer from upgradeability... that's one of their advantages.

I agree that they are skilled. But upgradeable doesn't have to compromise weight. Especially when you keep things within similar envelopes. Perhaps on the ultralight end that might matter as in for sub 250 but even then It could be done. Support is one thing but i think the main reason not to go for upgradeability is counting on upgrade cycle for income.

So it's not talent or even technical issues(especially for bigger drones) it probabaly has more to do with business decisions and perhaps certification. DIY FPVs don't suffer from upgradeability... that's one of their advantages.
I must be missing some of the Sub 250g point somewhere ,ok so i have a mavic Air 2 ,and also an old Spark.ive no idea what either weighs and im not really interested,i pay for my yearly licence which is cheap as chips also i have taken the A2Cofc course and passed with 100% only cost £99 .alo i am a member of an officially recognised club that allows me to fly within article 16.so what is it that a superior drone like the MA2 or the Mavic 2 cannot do that the sub 250g little guys can.
or is the point that some people just dont want to buy a license ? to me i would rather have a better aircraft and get the correct documentation...sorry guys if thinking wrongly here ,i know this will all change in a couple of years but i thinking of today not in 2 years ,,,,,,,:confused:

I must be missing some of the Sub 250g point somewhere ,ok so i have a mavic Air 2 ,and also an old Spark.ive no idea what either weighs and im not really interested,i pay for my yearly licence which is cheap as chips also i have taken the A2Cofc course and passed with 100% only cost £99 .alo i am a member of an officially recognised club that allows me to fly within article 16.so what is it that a superior drone like the MA2 or the Mavic 2 cannot do that the sub 250g little guys can.
or is the point that some people just dont want to buy a license ? to me i would rather have a better aircraft and get the correct documentation...sorry guys if thinking wrongly here ,i know this will all change in a couple of years but i thinking of today not in 2 years ,,,,,,,:confused:
The point of 250 for me is amount of freedom in flying over cities and even over people(not gatherings) even in A2 I'd have some distance to buildings and people even with restricted speed mode. As for the point of upgradeability affecting sub 250 is that adding 5grams for connectors etc is more significant than an on air 2. Also in the transition period there will come a time that unclassed drones above 250 will loose a lot of their utility.

I'd pay good money for more capable drone in that sub 250 category.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
The point of 250 for me is amount of freedom in flying over cities and even over people(not gatherings) even in A2 I'd have some distance to buildings and people even with restricted speed mode. As for the point of upgradeability affecting sub 250 is that adding 5grams for connectors etc is more significant than an on air 2. Also in the transition period there will come a time that unclassed drones above 250 will loose a lot of their utility.

I'd pay good money for more capable drone in that sub 250 category.
can you fly where i cannot ? there must be something

I'm not buying any new equipment unless it is ADS-B compliant, or they have a way to make it ADS-B compliant by design

can you fly where i cannot ? there must be something
So not sure how unified the rules are but in A2 I could fly 30m away from people and 5m away from people with restricted speed mode. With sub 250g drone i can fly directly above people even intentionally (only unintentionally in A1 above 250g).

In both situations we cannot fly above gatherings of people (groups with restricted mobility).

So flying in the city/leisure locations according to rules is far less problematic with a sub 250g drone. Additionally utility of such drone doesn't change really after those transitional rules expire and class designations for drones are required.

I'm not buying any new equipment unless it is ADS-B compliant, or they have a way to make it ADS-B compliant by design
Do you have a mavic air 2 already ? if so how old is it ? some are ADS-B ready i have ADS-b working on mine just fine .

If you've taken the A2 CofC then you'll know where you can fly a sub 250g drone like the DJI Mini 2, over and above the MA2 or the Spark.
A model aircraft that is not a free flight model aircraft, and with a MTOM above 250g and not more than 7.5Kg shall not be flown: a) Within a horizontal distance of 30m of assemblies of people, as defined in section 7.1; b) Within 30m of any uninvolved person, as defined in section 7.1. This distance may be reduced to 15m for take-off and landing if required for practical operations and there are locally applied mitigations to protect uninvolved persons, following a local risk assessment. this is included if you are flying within article 16 ,certain club members get this right at this time, this gives better freedom for non commercial flight than the A2cofc certificate and is a lot cheaper.i can see a sub 250g aircraft being very useful for travelling and keeping the weight down .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78