DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another One of Those "Can I Fly Here?" Questions

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
Are there any airspace class restrictions (FAA-wise) flying off Pidgeon Key at 175' agl, west of Marathon airport?

1574616915901.png1574617368596.png

Thank you, that's what I thought. The legend shows 2 magenta borders, one abutting Class G and the other Class E airspace. I was having trouble differentiating the two. Might just be my monitor.

Might want to stay out of the National Wildlife Refuge...that’s the only other thing I see in that vicinity.

c55fd44ef8b6751c30663137f0c104c1.jpg

Per US Fish &Wildlife Service site:

Areas considered ecologically sensitive—including lands within the National Wildlife Refuge System, host to threatened or even endangered species—can be disproportionately affected by drone flights. Thus it is illegal to operate unmanned aircraft on Refuge property without special permits.

In addition, if a drone operator stands beyond Refuge boundaries and flies the vehicle over the Refuge, fines can be levied if the drone is observed disturbing wildlife, e.g. flushing nesting birds from an offshore island or causing resting pinnipeds to flee for the water.

Reactions: AMann and JAW
Wow, the service got it right by acknowledging they can't do anything to you just for flying over the area, but they can if it causes an issue that they would fine anyone for.

Might want to stay out of the National Wildlife Refuge...that’s the only other thing I see in that vicinity.

Per US Fish &Wildlife Service site:

Areas considered ecologically sensitive—including lands within the National Wildlife Refuge System, host to threatened or even endangered species—can be disproportionately affected by drone flights. Thus it is illegal to operate unmanned aircraft on Refuge property without special permits.

In addition, if a drone operator stands beyond Refuge boundaries and flies the vehicle over the Refuge, fines can be levied if the drone is observed disturbing wildlife, e.g. flushing nesting birds from an offshore island or causing resting pinnipeds to flee for the water.

This is 100% correct. I have first hand knowledge of the rule as the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge, located on Long Island, was established on land donated by my great great uncle. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to be invited to a dedication of the new Refuge HQs and while there I asked the chief ranger about drone flights. He was unfamiliar with drone specific rules but did provide information regarding aircraft rules which now include sUAS (drones.) He noted that the interpretation of the term "disturbing wildlife" is that if operation of an aircraft causes wildlife to take flight or to alter their path if in flight , they have been disturbed.

Reactions: brandon 1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki