DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another reason to consider a bigger drone than the Mini 2

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I currently have a Mini 2 and a Mavic 2 Pro so I speak from experience.
My Mini 2 has crashed and had minor damage twice once because of over-aggressive reaction to minute stick movements and once because the rear props made light contact with an object, flipping it over and it fall all of 3 feet. In both instances I believe that it would not have happened with my Mavic 2, but for different reasons. In the latter instance, contact with objects, I know now for a fact that my Mavic 2 can recover from incidental contact with an object whereas the Mini 2 would simply fall to the ground.

Yesterday I was flying on the beach and inadvertantly in sport mode and as I came back in, I was standing not far from a tree. I let off the sticks but the drone didn't brake in time to avoid flying into the tree branches. They weren't thick like a tree trunk, but I could see the M2P momentarily get tangled in the tree branches and leaves, struggle to fight its way out, was turned almost vertially upon exiting the tree branches... and then recover. Upon inspection, no damage to props, but treen stuff from shredded leaves on the props and on the front of the drone. My Mini 2 would have certainly fallen to the ground and I probably would have needed to replace all the props. I was actually surprised that there was no prop damage at all. It was like a virtual weed whacker chopping its way out of a nest.

I don't own a Mavic Air 2, but I suspect it would have similar resiliance as my M2P because of how powerful the motors are. Not sure about structural rigidity and ability to recover from being knocked around a bit. . And while the Mini 2 is great and super light weight for (subject reasons IMO) it is fragile and lacks power in critical situations. I love both my drones, but wanted to bring out this one areas that I don't think has been discussed when we get into the "Which drone should I buy" threads.

Reactions: Kilboar
Sounds more like pilot not understanding capabilities of his drone tbh. The MM2 isn’t the same as the M2P … fly it to within its tolerances and it will be fine … I’ve flown mine enough to know how to fly it within its capabilities ..

not what you wanted to hear I guess but it’s how I read this…

Sounds more like pilot not understanding capabilities of his drone tbh. The MM2 isn’t the same as the M2P … fly it to within its tolerances and it will be fine … I’ve flown mine enough to know how to fly it within its capabilities ..

not what you wanted to hear I guess but it’s how I read this…
Perhaps I wasn't clear or succinct enough... but I think you missed the point.

As your skills improve you will start getting closer to objects and depending upon the angles your drone may come in contact with something. Somehow my M2 inadvertantly got switched into sport mode disabling the sensors and came in contact with tree branches and recovered, something an MM or Mini 2 would not.

My point is that a larger, more powerful drone might be a better choice, and IMO would be a better choice if money, weight and size are not predominant factors. I should state that I bought my M2P 6 weeks after getting my Mini specifically because the Mini didn't have enough power to fly half the time with the wind/gust speeds that we routinely see here. And while the Mini 2, which I upgraded to does prevent fly-aways in similar conditions, stability is another issue entirely, again just adding to my point in terms of selecting the small drone compared to a larger, heavier model.

But in terms of "knowing to fly it within its capabilities", while I'm not skilled enough to be flying FPV acro I have enough experience with both my drones to know what they both can do under most circumstances. The Mini 2 has a stick sensitivity/latency issue that is well documented on DJI's forum. The input curve plus the latency makes it very difficult to control in tight spaces, especially when the Mini 2 has to fight it's own vorces (like in a hallway or doorway). Add a sudden shift into Atti mode in a tight space and you have more than one issue to deal with.

I think you are comparing an apple to a cucumber.

To keep the mm2 under 250g it will use a much thinner structural material. It has much smaller motors and much thinner blades.

In the sport mode scenario, because it is lighter the mm2 would have had less momentum so would have responded much quicker and wouldn't have caught the tree at all.

The weight of the mp2 would have made it fall harder.

On the flip side,you can't take the mp2 and fly it anywhere where as the mm2 you can pretty much fly it to your hearts content.

I have the mm2 and will buy the mp2 when I do my a2coc. Although I have actually been waiting for its successor

My Mini 2 has crashed and had minor damage twice once because of over-aggressive reaction to minute stick movements and once because the rear props made light contact with an object, flipping it over and it fall all of 3 feet. In both instances I believe that it would not have happened with my Mavic 2, but for different reasons. In the latter instance, contact with objects, I know now for a fact that my Mavic 2 can recover from incidental contact with an object whereas the Mini 2 would simply fall to the ground.

Yesterday I was flying on the beach and inadvertantly in sport mode and as I came back in, I was standing not far from a tree. I let off the sticks but the drone didn't brake in time to avoid flying into the tree branches. They weren't thick like a tree trunk, but I could see the M2P momentarily get tangled in the tree branches and leaves, struggle to fight its way out, was turned almost vertially upon exiting the tree branches... and then recover. Upon inspection, no damage to props, but treen stuff from shredded leaves on the props and on the front of the drone. My Mini 2 would have certainly fallen to the ground and I probably would have needed to replace all the props. I was actually surprised that there was no prop damage at all. It was like a virtual weed whacker chopping its way out of a nest.

I don't own a Mavic Air 2, but I suspect it would have similar resiliance as my M2P because of how powerful the motors are. Not sure about structural rigidity and ability to recover from being knocked around a bit. . And while the Mini 2 is great and super light weight for (subject reasons IMO) it is fragile and lacks power in critical situations. I love both my drones, but wanted to bring out this one areas that I don't think has been discussed when we get into the "Which drone should I buy" threads.

Size matters in many ways. Prior to getting my M2P, I was (and still am), flying a much larger, heavier and more powerful hex (Typhoon). I needed a smaller lightweight and more compact drone for when I bike and hike into locations, but the ability to hit objects and sustain flight was never a priority.

I think part of becoming a safe and responsible pilot is to become extremely familiar with one's aircraft and controls so that we are not surprised by any actions or traits that differ from one system to another but I guess it is good your M2P survived that impact.

I have given the same advice to others that was originally given to me: stay away from anything in the DJI line that has the word "Mini" in the title...because they just aren't heavy enough/sturdy enough to withstand moderate winds and debris (not saying you should be flying in a sandstorm, but you get the idea). Bottom line: I have found the MA2 performance to be worth the extra weight and price.

Reactions: WDKZoom
Size matters in many ways. Prior to getting my M2P, I was (and still am), flying a much larger, heavier and more powerful hex (Typhoon). I needed a smaller lightweight and more compact drone for when I bike and hike into locations, but the ability to hit objects and sustain flight was never a priority.

I think part of becoming a safe and responsible pilot is to become extremely familiar with one's aircraft and controls so that we are not surprised by any actions or traits that differ from one system to another but I guess it is good your M2P survived that impact.
My incident with the M2 was that I was at an odd angle to it and didn't think it was that close to the tree and by the time I realized that it wasn't braking fast enough couldn't get on the sticks properly to reverse course in that period of time. Perhaps because I was on the sticks later rather than not at all allowed it to power out of the situation. I dunno.

I think you are comparing an apple to a cucumber.

To keep the mm2 under 250g it will use a much thinner structural material. It has much smaller motors and much thinner blades.

In the sport mode scenario, because it is lighter the mm2 would have had less momentum so would have responded much quicker and wouldn't have caught the tree at all.

The weight of the mp2 would have made it fall harder.

On the flip side,you can't take the mp2 and fly it anywhere where as the mm2 you can pretty much fly it to your hearts content.

I have the mm2 and will buy the mp2 when I do my a2coc. Although I have actually been waiting for its successor
I think you partially understood my point and partially misunderstood. I'll blame myself for lack of clarity.

Of course the Mini 2 has a thinner structure. That's what makes it more susceptible to damage. I maintain that it has control issues in the C mode, and could use adjustable EXP settings. Top speed of a Mini 2 in C mode is 13mph and the M2's top speed 2.5mph in tripod mode. Even the MA2's top speed is 11mph. Not sure about stick curves and latency. But it is what it is and DJI probably won't do anything about it.

Granted, the M2P get restricted in certain locales because someone somewhere with a green eye shade decided that 250grams is the magic number and everyone jumped on board. But here in the US $5 and 15 minutes of time to register eliminates all objections except one's personal objection to packing and traveling with a M2 or even MA2 or A2s. But the truth is that in the case of the M2, the drone is heavier but the controller is lighter and smaller, evening some of the weight/size discrepancy, eliminating some objectionability besides registration. Case weight difference is about 16 ounces heavier for the M2, fully loaded with accessories, charger, everything, but the case I have is easier to carry. If you compare the case of the fly more kits for both drones they aren't that much difference in size and weight, but both the DJI cases are IMO too small for what they carry.

I'm not saying I don't love my Mini 2 as it fills a niche in certain areas and perhaps for some things. All I'm saying is that folks should consider the superior structrual durability and flight stability when making a selection. If I were only to have one drone today it would almost certainly be the Air2s. The Mini 2 wouldn't even be a consideration because the Air2s has the best of both drones.

Reactions: crazeuk
They are built to fly within their limits,not crash into things.Fly them within their capabilities..IMO you just cant beat the mini 2 for what it is
True... It is the best IN ITS CLASS and certainly in its price range. But if you take regional restrictions and price away it has everything else about it gets trounced by almost every standard of A2 which is only 12 ounce heavier plus the weight of extra batteries. The only think lacking in the A2s IMO is the lack of variable aperture which I find is what sets the M2P apart from the A2s. I look for that feature as an excuse to have a more expensive replacement for the Mavic 2 Pro if they ever come out with a Mavic 3 (sans the Mavic moniker).

True... It is the best IN ITS CLASS and certainly in its price range. But if you take regional restrictions and price away it has everything else about it gets trounced by almost every standard of A2 which is only 12 ounce heavier plus the weight of extra batteries. The only think lacking in the A2s IMO is the lack of variable aperture which I find is what sets the M2P apart from the A2s. I look for that feature as an excuse to have a more expensive replacement for the Mavic 2 Pro if they ever come out with a Mavic 3 (sans the Mavic moniker).
12 ounces, and $300, is a lot in the drone world though so as crazeuk said you're comparing apples to cucumbers. If you took the extra 3/4 of a pound( us weight, not British currency ?) and money, crammed it in to the drone you would end up with something roughly resembling the MA2 or Air2s in regards to capability, strength and durability. The MA2 is twice the weight, nearly twice the price and due to not being hampered by the not so arbitrary weight limit of 250g( I'm sure there were plenty of studies to determine a weight that provided a reasonable assurance of minimal injury and then chose the 250g from that study as an easy point of reference) they can design a more robust vehicle. Same goes for the comparison to the M2 series at 900g+ and $1300us. I mean let's be honest here, take the weight and cost out of the equation and the M2 has nothing on the Inspire 2 so really there's no good reason for the Mavic 2 pro. Each 'class' of drone has its pros and cons and to try to compare from 1 to another without factoring in those things is ludicrous. I won't touch an Eachines e58 because it is absolute garbage compared to a Mini2 but at 1/10 the price and just over 1/3 the weight it's not fair to do an apples to apples comparison. But, when you get a better than average copy, are flying in a large enclosed space, only want to fly for 7 minutes and so on and so on.

I too have a MINI 2 and a Mavic 2 Pro. Both are great but different. They do need getting used to in terms of performance but each has it's own merits and I think they are both great in their own way. I did a shoot recently and used both Mavic2 Pro for larger general views from a greater height and distance whilst the Mini2 let me get close up and personal with some detailed stuff that would not be allowed with the Mavic 2Pro.

Reactions: tlswift58
I'm posting this purely from a UK perspective and own both the air2 and mini 2, I truly love the air2 and would use it as my go to drone all the time except for 1 very serious problem. Here, anything over 250g is now a total hassle as of Jan 2021 and whilst I agree that the air2 is better to fly sadly, having the mini2 (or other sub 250g drones) is now not quite but almost, the only solution in terms of separation and other hassles until C class drones are released (and I have an a2cofc). Having said that for image quality in 4k I honestly have to so say I would struggle to tell the difference.

Reactions: tlswift58

As your skills improve you will start getting closer to objects and depending upon the angles your drone may come in contact with something. Somehow my M2 inadvertantly got switched into sport mode disabling the sensors and came in contact with tree branches and recovered, something an MM or Mini 2 would not.

My point is that a larger, more powerful drone might be a better choice, and IMO would be a better choice if money, weight and size are not predominant factors. I should state that I bought my M2P 6 weeks after getting my Mini specifically because the Mini didn't have enough power to fly half the time with the wind/gust speeds that we routinely see here. And while the Mini 2, which I upgraded to does prevent fly-aways in similar conditions, stability is another issue entirely, again just adding to my point in terms of selecting the small drone compared to a larger, heavier model.

But in terms of "knowing to fly it within its capabilities", while I'm not skilled enough to be flying FPV acro I have enough experience with both my drones to know what they both can do under most circumstances. The Mini 2 has a stick sensitivity/latency issue that is well documented on DJI's forum. The input curve plus the latency makes it very difficult to control in tight spaces, especially when the Mini 2 has to fight it's own vorces (like in a hallway or doorway). Add a sudden shift into Atti mode in a tight space and you have more than one issue to deal with.
Somehow - inadvertently! Now that is funny. On my Air2 remote - there is no somehow - inadvertently going from one mode to another.

Even IF such a thing happened - if "I" had VLOS with my drone - I could tell it going from say tripod mode to sport - just sheer speed change.

As for the Mini - it's not designed to really take a beating and keep on ticking like a Timex watch. Not and keep it under the 250g threshold. Yes, the bigger Mavics are built sturdier and the added weight makes that happen. I've seen Mavics - above Mini model come into contact with trees and some survive - some don't. I've seen a Pro hit tree limbs and tumble down and had to pick up THE PIECES of it. Yeah, many pieces as it self destructed in that tree and ground.

At Mini / Mini 2 price point - well, you get what you pay for.

I didn't miss it because I read your post's and I know how dedicated you are.. but I think we've all had cases of extreme luck with our drones and it doesn't seem to matter how they're built. My Mavic Air, an admitted tank, plowed through a Yucca tree in sport mode and the video shows an unbelievable amount of gyrations but upon landing the drone itself didn't present a single mark. I'm sure An inch or two to the left or right and it would have probably come apart like a dollar watch.

Somehow - inadvertently! Now that is funny. On my Air2 remote - there is no somehow - inadvertently going from one mode to another.

Even IF such a thing happened - if "I" had VLOS with my drone - I could tell it going from say tripod mode to sport - just sheer speed change.

As for the Mini - it's not designed to really take a beating and keep on ticking like a Timex watch. Not and keep it under the 250g threshold. Yes, the bigger Mavics are built sturdier and the added weight makes that happen. I've seen Mavics - above Mini model come into contact with trees and some survive - some don't. I've seen a Pro hit tree limbs and tumble down and had to pick up THE PIECES of it. Yeah, many pieces as it self destructed in that tree and ground.

At Mini / Mini 2 price point - well, you get what you pay for.
Let's see if I can boil the point of this thread into a nutshell.
If you're looking at a Mini chances are this is your first drone. When you take away size because the MA2/A2s are not all that much bigger than the Minis, and the REGULATED need for <250g the remaining question is, what are the reasons or advantages of spending more money to step up to one of the more sophisticated DJI drones? And the answer is simply that they are more robust in all most all areas, something that I know I myself as a former newbie hadn't considered.

As far as "inadvertently" goes... The one thing I like about the Mini2/MA2 controller is that the mode switch is on the top and readily seen as opposed to being near the M2's handle. I must have bumped it accidentally into sport mode and I don't have my head buried in the screen but actually try to watch my drone, particularly because I was flying super low to the ground along a beach and wanted to keep an eye on it. I wasn't full on the right stick and misjudged the speed at which it approached. Luckily it didn't crash into the tree branches, but drifted in and got entangled in the light ends of the branches and more or less cut its way out. But to see it nearly flipped over then recover was truly amazing.

I’ve flown my Mavic Pro Zoom almost at a 45 Degree angle to take a Video of Waves crashing against the Shore! No way, no How would l even think about putting my Mavic Mini up! I wouldn’t trust my Skydio 2 to do it!

I didn't miss it because I read your post's and I know how dedicated you are.. but I think we've all had cases of extreme luck with our drones and it doesn't seem to matter how they're built. My Mavic Air, an admitted tank, plowed through a Yucca tree in sport mode and the video shows an unbelievable amount of gyrations but upon landing the drone itself didn't present a single mark. I'm sure An inch or two to the left or right and it would have probably come apart like a dollar watch.
Yeah... Again, I just wanted to share my experience for those looking for their first or 2nd drone and provide just another aspect to consider. I'm happy to have the Mini 2 for a lot of reasons, and got to this point that I have two drones purely by accident because I probably bought the wrong one for me initially because I was being frugal and cautious. I ignored my own long standing advice that says to buy exactly what I want, not settle because of price and ended up buying it twice. But because it is a great hobby and adds dimension to my profession (not that there was any income in 2020) doesn't give me any regret as I'm good with my two drones because the Mini 2 can be a primary or backup when needed.
One more thing.... Something that new-to-drone buyers might want to consider is a REFURBISHED MA2. $850 for the fly more combo, only $150 more than a Mini 2 FMC. My M2P was a refurb and I'm here to tell you that there isn't a single thing that wasn't absolutely brand spankin' new on that drone- even the packaging. And I think DJI will be closing out the M2's shortly as the handwriting is on the wall as they haven't been doing any updates on the Go4 or M2 firmware lately, and as someone else said, it's nearing "end of life". DJI will come out with something that Trumps the A2s because there will be more margin still in the next latest/greatest compact drone.

what are the reasons or advantages of spending more money to step up to one of the more sophisticated DJI drones? And the answer is simply that they are more robust in all most all areas,
You are comparing two completely different drones designed for two different markets.

You could consider this the same as comparing a 2WD truck to a 4WD truck. It doesn't snow here in FL, I don't have a boat to tow and don't plan on going off road. It makes no sense for me to buy a 4WD truck that would cost a 20% premium when a 2WD will do everything I want it to do.

Might want to check out this thread to see what experienced owners think of the mini2. It isn't the first drone for any of them. Mavic Mini 2 vs. Original Mavic Pro - Considering a change

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum