DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any cinematic mavic2 flyers using goggles?

Dakarenduro

Reactions
So I am only doing landscape type filming. Slow and deliberate. With occasional still photos of the same.

Just curious if this type of flying/use lends itself to goggles or not? Is there anyone else out there that is doing the same type of nature films and finding a set of dji goggles useful?

Tempted to pick up a set of white goggles for use with my m2zoom but not sure if they would end up getting returned or not. I use a phone or tablet and routinely stop/start recording, switch between video and stills, adjust iso , etc all from go4 and several times during a single flight. To do all those changes via the goggle interface from reading the menu and watching youtube videos it seems rather slow and/or complicated.

Is that the case or are goggles the end all? Thanks in advance.

I have the white goggles and do enjoy flying with them. I have not done much filming using them but the little I have done I have to say it does give you a great close up perspective that makes precision flying easier IMHO. And it is way easier to frame your shots. Now I think you could achieve much the same thing with a large display device like an iPad.

Changing settings using the goggles is a bit of a pain primarily because the menus are all different compared to Go4. The trackpad is fairly easy to use after a small bit of experience.

Thanks. I think the other benefit would be not fighting the sunlight.

I should warn you that it is a bit tricky to get a clear focused view if you wear glasses and have anything other than a vanilla prescription.

Overall they are a bit of a gimmick with a few advantages, but many say once used to flying with goggles, they use them every flight.

I use them with my M1P and Spark, probably 1/3 flights as I have only just started exploring them.
I've got the RE, but no real difference to the white goggles for flying the M1P/M2 range.

Probably the most fun part of owning them so far, is letting others wear the goggles while I fly using the ipad mini4.
This isn't possible with the Spark, but is with the ocusync M1P and yours obviously.

This also sets you up to have a spotter when you have a go with goggles on.

Another big advantage is the gimbal head tracking.
You can fly a straight line and move the gimbal left / right by turning your head, and with flight head tracking, turn the drone in flight.

Flying FPV (rather than follow mode) is also great with goggles.

The touch panel uses various finger / two finger swipes and taps to access menus etc, this is a bit of a learning curve, but you can access everything in there, as you would the app.

IF you are wanting to fly like you're in the pilots seat, then goggles will give you that.

I have the goggles RE. Mostly, my Wife will use them. She love's to sit on the back deck and get a total tour of the property and up over the house and tree's. So far I have only actually tried them once, wearing them while operating the Mavic Zoom. It's very impressive what you can see in front of you and for cruising around things. It could also be very easy to hit something as you don't get a perspective of what is beside or behind you. So, I would never fly in reverse or side to side unless I knew 100% I was above all obstacles. Once we finally get a nice warm day and you are able to sit out in a lawn chair without totally shivering with wind, rain, or snow hitting you in the face.... I can't wait to really give them a true try.
Like the other's say, I fumble with the controls on it with the finger swipes. I seem to have to read over and over again, what does what. As easy as they are really. That being said, if I wear them for a few flights, I'm sure it will be second nature very quickly!
I do wear very light reading glasses. 1.25 readers. the lightest you can buy in a drugstore. Distance for me is perfect without glasses. When I wear the goggles, the 1.25 glasses don't work for me. I had to double up to 2.5 ' s. If I go back and forth from the goggles to the iPhone, I have to keep switching glasses. It was a YouTube video I watched on them that said if you wear readers you will most likely have to double the strength to see clearly in the googles. They were right. In the end, I think I will love them! My Wife sure does!

So a follow up question, and excuse my ignorance...
The goggles flip up, correct? and everyone mentions letting spouses or friends use them to get the bird's eye view while the pilot is still flying normally.

So, does that mean I can still use a phone/tablet/whatever attached to the RC and fly with all the IFMs while the goggles are connected as strictly a remote view (and no overriding control of the drone)?

I guess I just need to pick up a pair and try them. I wish was around someone with a pair to see how they work before spending the $$ but such is life, often....

So a follow up question, and excuse my ignorance...
The goggles flip up, correct? and everyone mentions letting spouses or friends use them to get the bird's eye view while the pilot is still flying normally.

So, does that mean I can still use a phone/tablet/whatever attached to the RC and fly with all the IFMs while the goggles are connected as strictly a remote view (and no overriding control of the drone)?

I guess I just need to pick up a pair and try them. I wish was around someone with a pair to see how they work before spending the $$ but such is life, often....
Yes, you can fly normally while another person is using the goggles. There is alternative modes where the goggle user can have some limited control of the drone but even in these modes you still have primary control.

thanks

I use the goggles a lot with my M2P and SC. I only use them to view what I am filming. I find the trackpad to be cumbersome and so easy to accidentally activate things. For me they are worthless for anything other than viewing but for that they are golden ! I would hate to be without them. I only wear glasses for reading and found I had to wear them to focus on the goggle screen. I purchased some focus fixers and that eliminated the need for reading glasses.

I use the goggles a lot with my M2P and SC. I only use them to view what I am filming. I find the trackpad to be cumbersome and so easy to accidentally activate things. For me they are worthless for anything other than viewing but for that they are golden ! I would hate to be without them. I only wear glasses for reading and found I had to wear them to focus on the goggle screen. I purchased some focus fixers and that eliminated the need for reading glasses.
Focus fixers?

Oh Wow! That is a definite purchase for me! My Wife and I have the same vision so will work for us both. Thank you!

No worries . . . happens I saw a post along the same lines here on the forum today also.
Saw these ones recommended by another forumite . . .

Might be worth reading up on the differences / costs, think these ones are optical glass, while the Focus Fixers are polycarb ?
Probably not much in it, polycarb is used a lot now in many reading glasses.

No worries . . . happens I saw a post along the same lines here on the forum today also.
Saw these ones recommended by another forumite . . .

Might be worth reading up on the differences / costs, think these ones are optical glass, while the Focus Fixers are polycarb ?
Probably not much in it, polycarb is used a lot now in many reading glasses.
I will compare.. Just about hit the purchase button on the first one's already!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have the Solace custom made lenses from my prescription from RHO-Lens if anyone has any questions.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi