DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any experience with buying refurbed drones?

OK, just pulled the trigger on a new Zoom/SC/FlyMore combo after waiting for the Father's Day Sale ever so patiently ;)

Ok, now I'm actually considering cancelling the FlyMore for the Zoom and getting a Mavic Mini w/extra battery for the same price ?

When I think about it, I rarely ever used all 4 of my MP1's battery packs to full depletion.

In fact, I would charge them all up and use each until they hit the storage charge (or not use them at all and let them self discharge after 1 day).

I never used any of the extra props, car charger or soft case as I had a CasePro hard case.

I'm thinking I might be better off getting a mini that I can beat around with in situations where I might not feel as comfortable flying my high dollar Zoom (if that makes any sense).

It's like with my DSLR camera gear.

I've spent thousands on high quality lenses and bodies, but nowadays I tend to miss out on candid shots because I hate lugging around a big backpack full of expensive gear.

Whereas my cellphone is always on me ready to snap (granted at lesser quality, but at least I get it).

Anyone here have an MP2/Zoom as well as a lesser drone like a mini?

If so, do you feel it's worth having over a FlyMore combo?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Ok, now I'm actually considering cancelling the FlyMore for the Zoom and getting a Mavic Mini w/extra battery for the same price ?

When I think about it, I rarely ever used all 4 of my MP1's battery packs to full depletion.

In fact, I would charge them all up and use each until they hit the storage charge (or not use them at all and let them self discharge after 1 day).

I never used any of the extra props, car charger or soft case as I had a CasePro hard case.

I'm thinking I might be better off getting a mini that I can beat around with in situations where I might not feel as comfortable flying my high dollar Zoom (if that makes any sense).

I've spent thousands on high quality lenses and bodies, but nowadays I tend to miss out on candid shots because I hate lugging around a big backpack full of expensive gear.

Whereas my cellphone is always on me ready to snap (granted at lesser quality, but at least I get it).

Whether or not to carry a high end heavy DSLR and lenses has always been a big discussion, usually winding up with two sides...(1)take it and bear the brunt of carrying the heavy gear, or (2) leave it in favor of a light weight point and shoot, or now, a cell phone. It all boils down to what you are going to do with the images. Same discussion with drones. Why on earth would you carry both drones on a plane or trip. I made my decision years ago. I was trekking to Everest Base camp, a 16 day hike from our landing at 9,000 feet. I carried that heavy DSLR every step of the way to 18,500 feet, and have never regretted it. My saying goes like this...." I will soon forget the stress of carrying the heavy camera but I will never forget the great images I was able to obtain."

You may need to scroll to see entire image. Here is my shot from highest point of my hike- (Black Point or Kala Pattar 18,500 feet) looking down on the Khumbu Ice Fall and Base Camp, and up at Mt. Everest,(black pyramid), Nuptse and Lhotse Face.

Everest and Base Camp,Khumbu Icefall Viveza lo rez.jpg

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

Besides that the zoom is a better quad for a host of reasons I'd at least buy something that has OcuSync . Have you priced the air2?

Besides that the zoom is a better quad for a host of reasons I'd at least buy something that has OcuSync . Have you priced the air2?

Most of us buy the Fly More for the battery savings only. The rest of the package is fluff since we all have our own case (much better than the ridiculous case DJI sends), no one uses the prop guards (training wheels to me), care charger has never been used in a year, etc. I like to use first battery for set up of the shot which takes off at least 5 minutes from the flying time. It is still a good deal compared to buying a 2nd or a 3rd battery. If you are out on a full day outing, three batteries come in handy.

Most of us buy the Fly More for the battery savings only. The rest of the package is fluff since we all have our own case (much better than the ridiculous case DJI sends), no one uses the prop guards (training wheels to me), care charger has never been used in a year, etc. I like to use first battery for set up of the shot which takes off at least 5 minutes from the flying time. It is still a good deal compared to buying a 2nd or a 3rd battery. If you are out on a full day outing, three batteries come in handy.
I agree. I bought a bunch of aftermarket accessories but the fly more package other than the batteries was basically useless. But I'd still prefer to have a better quad over extra batteries. Now if you plan to purchase a fleet of different drones, the Mini wouldn't be a bad place to start but I'd rather have the Air2 over the mini. The Mini has a size advantage if that what one's after.

Whether or not to carry a high end heavy DSLR and lenses has always been a big discussion, usually winding up with two sides...(1)take it and bear the brunt of carrying the heavy gear, or (2) leave it in favor of a light weight point and shoot, or now, a cell phone. It all boils down to what you are going to do with the images. Same discussion with drones. Why on earth would you carry both drones on a plane or trip. I made my decision years ago. I was trekking to Everest Base camp, a 16 day hike from our landing at 9,000 feet. I carried that heavy DSLR every step of the way to 18,500 feet, and have never regretted it. My saying goes like this...." I will soon forget the stress of carrying the heavy camera but I will never forget the great images I was able to obtain."

You may need to scroll to see entire image. Here is my shot from highest point of my hike- (Black Point or Kala Pattar 18,500 feet) looking down on the Khumbu Ice Fall and Base Camp, and up at Mt. Everest,(black pyramid), Nuptse and Lhotse Face.

View attachment 104577

That's just it though..

If I'm sure I'm gunna need high quality shots for say a wedding, sports or any other type of gethering, I walk with my big bag of lenses.

Thing is, my best shots tend to come from candid moments when I don't have my gear bag with me.

There were plenty of times where I wish I had my MP1 to get a shot, but just didn't have it on me cause it wasn't planned or I simply didn't want to risk flying a high dollar bird in certain situations

IMG-0694-Medium.jpg

So now I'm thinking instead of the FlyMore combo, I can get the Mini for the same price and I'll have a backup drone that I can beat around with if the occasion calls for it :cool:

Maybe pick up another battery for the Zoom later on and not waste the money on useless extras

Also, when the MP3 comes out, it might be easier to unload the Zoom without all the extra fluff ?

Last edited:
OK, I rarely ever change my mind after the fact, but I've decided to go a completely different route lol ?

DJI wasn't able to change my order from the Fly More to the Mini, so I had to cancel the order completely ?

While waiting for my refund (takes a while even though my original order wasn't fully processed), I got to thinking whether or not it would be worth it to wait for the Mavic 3 to be released before plunking down 2 grand on a 2 year old model ?

So I've decided to go with a mini for now just to hold me over until the MP3 release ?

I figure even if I don't spring for the MP3, I'm sure I'll be able to get a better deal on the Zoom ?

Now, can anyone tell me if the MM's Father's Day "Free Battery" gift also applies to the MM's Fly more combo? (4 Batts?)

Now, can anyone tell me if the MM's Father's Day "Free Battery" gift also applies to the MM's Fly more combo? (4 Batts?)

Contacted DJI and the Free Batt is only with the standard Mini, not the Fly more Combo

Ended up ordering a bubdle from Costco that comes with an extra batt and charging base/display for $369

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661