DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any experiences Drone fishing with the Drone Skyhook?

Birdbirdman

Reactions
Drone Skyhook just came today. Not going to be able to use it for a while. anyone had a chance to use one of these yet?20180604_152033.jpeg

What will you be using for bait?
Not sure yet but I don't want to put too much strain on the Motors so I will try to limit it to Under 1pound. Going to go surf fishing next month and also we'll just use it around here in the Chesapeake bay or the reservoir.

Just a question; why would you use an expensive, high quality aerial photography platform for a "work horse"
Well my boy was selling his MPP with all the extras 4 a great price 700$ so I bought it. Won't be really using it as a Workhorse I only go on vacation once a year. Nor do I do that much fishing but would like to try it a few times.

Not sure yet but I don't want to put too much strain on the Motors so I will try to limit it to Under 1pound. Going to go surf fishing next month and also we'll just use it around here in the Chesapeake bay or the reservoir.
Chesapeake and the surf for that matter hold many fish more then capable of pulling your Mavic in the drink.

A 5 lb striper would have no problem. You gonna put a little sign on your bait saying 1lb or less only? :D

Seriously though I’ve seen guys use them surf fishing and fly out the bait and line with the reel open and drop it outside the breakers.
Keep your video recorder running, we wanna see this act !

Brought one of these a few weeks ago.There are really well made,the downward sensors still work and fitting/removing take seconds.
It's just used for fun, parachutes,nerf howlers,bubble machine etc

Reactions: Birdbirdman
1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

3) Pull the hook straight up would physically pull the hook out of its mouth.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s.

5) Find something better to do with your time.

Last edited:
Just a question; why would you use an expensive, high quality aerial photography platform for a "work horse"

Because it’s fun!

Most of the things that make mavic a great photography drone also make it an excellent work horse for small jobs.

Portability, reliability, ease of flying, excellent transmission range, rth, intelligent flightbbatteries, wireless goggles, etc

this “photography drone” does more than just take pictures.

Reactions: Birdbirdman
You don't have a clue how it works, it releases bait where you want to drop it, you don't catch the fish with drone. Know what your talking about before you ridicule someone.

Does not matter. This is a direct interaction with wildlife via drone. The most pervasive argument against drones is this very concept. You need to comprehend that.

I believe there are a few Different styles of bait/ hook release systems out there . I would be scared that some wind would flip the line up and the back props would get tangled . The drones that I have seen dropping line are all like a phantom where the bottom of the release is farther down away from the motors . Being able to do a drone cast for a 1/2 mile out is a cool idea

I believe there are a few Different styles of bait/ hook release systems out there . I would be scared that some wind would flip the line up and the back props would get tangled . The drones that I have seen dropping line are all like a phantom where the bottom of the release is farther down away from the motors . Being able to do a drone cast for a 1/2 mile out is a cool idea

I’m not a fisherman but I think my drop mechanism for mavic included instructions on adding a short piece of line with a weight on the end to help keep the line below mavic during flight.

I utilize my mechanism for other things. In Michigan, hunting or fishing with drones is prohibited.

Do you have pictures of this bait release system

I don’t think the idea is to fish with the mavic, rather mavic will allow the fisherman to cast a really long way.

Mavic drops the line once it’s away from the shore and the fisherman reels the line back in with a rod/reel.
I understand that...I just don't know why someone would expose an electronic device ( that isn't intended to do this) to all that salty damp air and sand...nothing kills electronics like a marine environment, even when it's designed to be there...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000