DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any new options for flight over people in the US?

Sorry. Perhaps I assumed too much. FAA rules changed to allow sUAS flights over people and moving vehicles as of April 2021. These operations had restrictions and Category 1 aircraft were the only feasible option for the vast majority of sUAS pilots in the US. Unfortunately the requirements for Cat 1 were such that it was nearly impossible to find a compliant aircraft. The only option I saw at that time was to use a Japanese 1100MAh battery in a Mini 2 with the prop guards installed.

My question today was to see if there have been any other options discovered and/or has the FAA come any closer to changing either the weight limit or skin laceration requirements for Cat. 1.

So it's August of 2022. The rare 1100MAh Japanese batteries for the Mini 2 are very difficult to find, so what if any other options exist for Category 1 aircraft?
There are no other options

Has the Mini with prop guards officially been categorized as an FAA approved Category 1 sUAS?

Has the Mini with prop guards officially been categorized as an FAA approved Category 1 sUAS?
Category 1 doesn't have a "type acceptance" requirement, i.e., there's no certification process. It's simply a matter of meeting the Cat1 requirements. In the case of the Mini/Mini2 the only way they can meet the weight limit once you install the prop guards is by using the lighter 1100MAh (Japanese) battery. As you can imagine, it is extremely difficult to get those in the US. There has been some chatter that the weight limit might move a little, or that the skin laceration clause may be removed/altered. That is merely speculation however.

Category 1 doesn't have a "type acceptance" requirement, i.e., there's no certification process. It's simply a matter of meeting the Cat1 requirements. In the case of the Mini/Mini2 the only way they can meet the weight limit once you install the prop guards is by using the lighter 1100MAh (Japanese) battery. As you can imagine, it is extremely difficult to get those in the US. There has been some chatter that the weight limit might move a little, or that the skin laceration clause may be removed/altered. That is merely speculation however.
Thank you.

Sorry. Perhaps I assumed too much. FAA rules changed to allow sUAS flights over people and moving vehicles as of April 2021. These operations had restrictions and Category 1 aircraft were the only feasible option for the vast majority of sUAS pilots in the US. Unfortunately the requirements for Cat 1 were such that it was nearly impossible to find a compliant aircraft. The only option I saw at that time was to use a Japanese 1100MAh battery in a Mini 2 with the prop guards installed.

My question today was to see if there have been any other options discovered and/or has the FAA come any closer to changing either the weight limit or skin laceration requirements for Cat. 1.

If you're talking specifically about DJI, then you're going to have to get creative and get the Japanese Lightweight Battery.

If you're open to other brands than DJI there are many that fall under the 250gr threshold but you'll need to be a proficient flyer without the GPS and other training wheels installed. IIRC our friend @Vic Moss has a few Cat 1 capable drones other than his Mini with Jap battery.

Last edited:
If you're talking specifically about DJI, then you're going to have to get creative and get the Japanese Lightweight Battery.

If you're open to other brands than DJI there are many that fall under the 250gr threshold but you'll need to be a proficient flyer without the GPS and other training wheels installed. IIRC our friend @Vic Moss has a few Cat 1 capable drones other than his Mini with Jap battery.
I have two additional Cat 1 drones, but they're not that great. They work though.

I have two Beta FPV 95Xv2 drones that fly de-cased (naked) GoPro Hero 6 cameras. They're okay for filming, but not for still photography.

They're both set up with DJI's digital system, so I can use my DJI goggles. I fly them with a Taranis Q controller.

Attachments

• 95x.jpg
    95x.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 7
I have two additional Cat 1 drones, but they're not that great. They work though.

I have two Beta FPV 95Xv2 drones that fly de-cased (naked) GoPro Hero 6 cameras. They're okay for filming, but not for still photography.

They're both set up with DJI's digital system, so I can use my DJI goggles. I fly them with a Taranis Q controller.
Thanks Vic. I have zero experience with FPV but your equipment list will make for some interesting reading I am sure.
I am really hopeful that I can find a solution for the occasions when it would be useful to transit crowds and/or busy roadways.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Eight months ago, I purchased a M2 199gr with the lighter battery from Amazon.jp (Japan's Amazon) and got lucky picking up two extra smaller JP batteries on eBay. FYI, the only way to get the lighter battery is to buy the M2 getting the battery from Japan. You CANNOT order the fly more package (they can only ship one battery) or order the batteries by themselves- due to shipping laws (hazardous...). With prop guards and hazard light = 249gr. It's a great little addition to pick extra jobs.

IMG_1885.jpegIMG_1942.jpeg

Reactions: Aerophile
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa