DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody excited for Air 2S?

We've had the Mavic Air 2, Mini 2, and DJI FPV all in a span of one year. The Mavic Air 2S is on the horizon and may even have an April release. When is the point where you'll have too many drones? Even the richest people I know upgrade phones once a year. I think that DJI drones are great but c'mon, does anyone really spend thousands of dollars collecting drones? Personally speaking, from someone who has the original Mavic Air and Mini 2, do you think that the Air 2S would ALSO be worth getting and should I keep my other drones if I do get this thing?
Got an Air2 and until it dies or crashes - not upgrading - even to the FPV or Air3 when it decides to debut.

Air2 does everything I need - so not upgrading. Why should I?

I'm not hurting for money in any fashion, but I did grow up in the days when you used a product till it died and maybe repaired it 10 times before sending to the junk piles - so I'm not on the gotta have the latest and greatest no matter the cost. INSANITY at its best.

If you still fly the older drones then keep them but If you no longer fly them sell then.
After I got the M2P it didn’t take me long to realise the MP had not flown so I sold it, I bought it used & got all my money back :)
That's far different than being on the "latest and greatest" treadmill to poverty. Should the Air3 come out with 100 MP camera, fly for 60 minutes on a single battery, etc - yeah, then I may upgrade if I need those capabilities. Yet, the current nonsense of buying whatever comes out simply for sake of NEW is crazy / insanity.

I pulled the trigger on an Air 2 because I doubt the Air 2S will be compliant with Category 2 standards and will likely be a couple hundred bucks more than the Air 2. I plan to use the Air 2 until a Category 2 model comes out with a decent camera. Then I will reassess what might be the best tool for the job.
Pappy - seems us older folks have the use it till it dies mentality - which is not bad (actually good). I see no reason to upgrade every 6-12 months for the sake of saying I got the newest model - even if it does nothing more than my current model or enough to justify spending big $$$$.

Should it have BIG changes that allow it to fly for an hour on a single battery and other things - maybe? My Air2 does EVERYTHING I need in a drone - so no need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading / beng new.

Reactions: Droniac
I read somewhere that the the MA2 will just be incrementally better. Nothing earth shattering. I am content with the MA2 and the Mini2 that I have. Maybe in a couple of years I'll get a new one. But it has to have cruise control and heated seats.
Us old farts are used to using till it does. Not the merry go round of newest even though nothing of critical value has changed. Mentality of today with got to have the latest and greatest - just to say it's that befuddles me. Maybe because I have had to EARN everything I've gotten (20 yrs military on near poverty wages) and not go into deep debt to say look at me and what I've got. Sorry, I don't relate to that.

Caveat - it's your money and future - so do as you please.

Got an Air2 and until it dies or crashes - not upgrading - even to the FPV or Air3 when it decides to debut.

Air2 does everything I need - so not upgrading. Why should I?

I'm not hurting for money in any fashion, but I did grow up in the days when you used a product till it died and maybe repaired it 10 times before sending to the junk piles - so I'm not on the gotta have the latest and greatest no matter the cost. INSANITY at its best.
I sadly get caught up with it a bit as I’m still a “toys r is kid” but I enjoy the differences and different nuisances each seem to have. Ratio of weight to battery flight time and superb optics (over simplified) are more based on “need” to some and an adventure to another. Although I will say I totally respect your take as it is a much more tethered approach. I also am finding that new drones come off the belt pretty quickly unless I’m too new to know if that’s fact based, and evidently occasionally abandoned (DJI discontinuing service etc). Which I somehow find disturbing. I’m gonna tighten my own seatbelt a bit. Thanks and Godspeed

Reactions: tlswift58
Us old farts are used to using till it does. Not the merry go round of newest even though nothing of critical value has changed. Mentality of today with got to have the latest and greatest - just to say it's that befuddles me. Maybe because I have had to EARN everything I've gotten (20 yrs military on near poverty wages) and not go into deep debt to say look at me and what I've got. Sorry, I don't relate to that.

Caveat - it's your money and future - so do as you please.
Thank you for your service. And all who out there put their “time in.” Godspeed

Can never ever have to many ex-wives! ROTFLMAO
Hmmmm. True I guess. I truly loved each of them with all my heart when I married them. Ok ok. Maybe one more. I’ll ask my financial advisor if anything is left. Lmao. Point taken. Godspeed

• Haha
I sadly get caught up with it a bit as I’m still a “toys r is kid” but I enjoy the differences and different nuisances each seem to have. Ratio of weight to battery flight time and superb optics (over simplified) are more based on “need” to some and an adventure to another. Although I will say I totally respect your take as it is a much more tethered approach. I also am finding that new drones come off the belt pretty quickly unless I’m too new to know if that’s fact based, and evidently occasionally abandoned (DJI discontinuing service etc). Which I somehow find disturbing. I’m gonna tighten my own seatbelt a bit. Thanks and Godspeed
I bought a Mini first as a trial run. To see IF I wanted to do droning and how hard was it. I had hoped to by a Phantom 4+ Pro - but DJI never lowered the price even more than a year after it was introduced. I had gone to DartDrones classes and was going to do my 107 - but with no drone - never took the test. My bad for sure.

Got my Mini and still have it; but then the Air2 came out with SIGNIFICANT upgrades over the Mini and a under $1k FlyMore price. For those UPGRADES, it was worth another drone and the Air2 has done everything I need.

Do I like the FPV? Sure I do - yet I'm not a cowboy and probably never will be - so the FPV is not something I have to have. I do like the Googles, but if you fly solo - then you are technically illegally flying and I fly quite a bit solo.

Have not seen all the specs on the Air2S and doubt it will have enough "better" features for an old guy like me that I have to have it. Now, maybe when the 3 comes out (6-12 months) - my poor Air2 may be on it's last leg and time to buy a new one - but not simply for sake of saying I've got the latest and greatest. Racing the Joneses has never been in my blood - maybe that is why I can travel any time I want and do things because I'm not up to my eyeballs in debt.

BUT, THAT IS JUST ME. YOUR MONEY / YOU DO WHAT FLOATS YOUR BOAT.

Keep on Droning!

Reactions: Droniac
Thank you for your service. And all who out there put their “time in.” Godspeed
Thank you. Odd, my job in the USAF was working on fighter jets (F-4, F-111, A-10, F-15, and F-16's) and I HATED IT. Mainly because we worked outside in every weather condition known to man and we were supposed to be enjoying it. Not me - LOL.

I got into drones more for the photography aspect, not the flying a drone kind of thing. Never a gamer, so my hand / eye skills are not like you younger folks who grew up with a controller in one hand and a bottle in the other.

I enjoy it as it gets me out and not sitting on a couch and helps me work on that lack of coordination - but I'll never be a "cowboy" type like some of the guys I fly with - as they have the skills to fly like that. So, it's all good.

Hmmmm. True I guess. I truly loved each of them with all my heart when I married them. Ok ok. Maybe one more. I’ll ask my financial advisor if anything is left. Lmao. Point taken. Godspeed
Hopefully at our age - I'm going on 63 - we have learned our lessons in life. I found a keeper on the 2nd try - so not looking for a flashy new model that wants or needs a sugar daddy! LOL

Thank you. Odd, my job in the USAF was working on fighter jets (F-4, F-111, A-10, F-15, and F-16's) and I HATED IT. Mainly because we worked outside in every weather condition known to man and we were supposed to be enjoying it. Not me - LOL.

I got into drones more for the photography aspect, not the flying a drone kind of thing. Never a gamer, so my hand / eye skills are not like you younger folks who grew up with a controller in one hand and a bottle in the other.

I enjoy it as it gets me out and not sitting on a couch and helps me work on that lack of coordination - but I'll never be a "cowboy" type like some of the guys I fly with - as they have the skills to fly like that. So, it's all good.
Good for you! Plenty of cowboys out there. I myself am not, as well. as far as your coordination is concerned, based on neuroplasticity your brain will learn and adapt as your brain struggles through those split second type decisions. I remind myself of that frequently lol. Not unlike stroke patients who rehab to walk and talk again. I’m not terribly good at this art but I’m getting better and maybe someday a few extra brain cells might expand and I’ll get “good” at this. In the meanwhile I too am not couch locked and have a really good time. Even if it’s a 10 minute distraction. Thanks for your candor. Btw if I get “good” it will no doubt be in great part from Mavic Pilots forums!! True. Godspeed.

Hopefully at our age - I'm going on 63 - we have learned our lessons in life. I found a keeper on the 2nd try - so not looking for a flashy new model that wants or needs a sugar daddy! LOL
I’m truly glad to hear that. Keep her and keep her close to your heart. I sadly miss my old best friends. One of them gave me 6 awesome sons. Never liked flashy new models anyway. Although I’m interested and curious to what the new flashy Air2 will have. Lol. Godspeed

I've just bought Air 2 FMC and I'm just wondering how much will Air 2s cost. If the price will be the same as as Air 2 or similar I will be pissed. If the price on Air 2 will drop significant I'll be pissed. Otherwise it won't bother me a all.

I will happily admit to kissing a drone on one occasion - our P4P+. It was during an assignment in the USA and we'd been in one location for three days. We succeeded in getting great footage and great stills. I knew this before seeing it and "excitedly" kissed the drone on landing.

To be crystal, it's not the drone but what you do with it.
Isn't kissing 2 wives enough, now you have to make time to kiss your drones too :)

I just purchased the Air2 with Smart Controller package. I’m wondering if I should have waited for the Air2S???
I purchased my MA2 and smart controller about 3 weeks ago, or to be exact, two days before the news on the 2S broke. I’m happy with what I have for now. If you try to keep up with the DJI’s and Apples of the world it will financially wreck you.

Reactions: Jriley and maggior
Isn't kissing 2 wives enough, now you have to make time to kiss your drones too :)
I've only kissed the P4P+ ONCE and the (legal) wife was present - in full agreement. It was pre-Covid, so no mask required. (And we only wear FFP3 or FFP2 masks because the rest are of little or no use, medically speaking.)

Reactions: Thanohano44
I purchased my MA2 and smart controller about 3 weeks ago, or to be exact, two days before the news on the 2S broke. I’m happy with what I have for now. If you try to keep up with the DJI’s and Apples of the world it will financially wreck you.
no kidding, if you are buying tech, the only time you'll feel the least regret is the day you buy it. Sales, new models, etc... there never will be a perfect time, just about being happy with what you have. I actually had a MA2 in my cart the other day and saw the 2S talk so held off. The MA2 is right around the top of my budget and I haven't seen a price yet in the leaks... If its ~$150 over the MA2 i'm out

Reactions: BamaBomber
no kidding, if you are buying tech, the only time you'll feel the least regret is the day you buy it. Sales, new models, etc... there never will be a perfect time, just about being happy with what you have. I actually had a MA2 in my cart the other day and saw the 2S talk so held off. The MA2 is right around the top of my budget and I haven't seen a price yet in the leaks... If its ~$150 over the MA2 i'm out
I sold my MP1 a couple of weeks ago. Now I only have the MA2 & smart controller and the MM2. I thoroughly enjoy both of them. I have no plans of getting rid of either for the near future. I only wish DJI would do an update to make the MM2 compatible with the smart controller.

Reactions: Thanohano44
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito