DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody excited for Air 2S?

What does category 2 Standard mean?

In the new regs that were promulgated on 06 April 2021 and go live on 21 April 2021, the rules for flying over people are changed and create 4 categories of drones. Categories 1 thru 3 are drones most folks will be able to buy while category 4 drones need a Part 21 certification and will likely not be cost effective for most folks.

Category 1 is for drones under 250 grams and they must have rotors that cannot cut human flesh. To fly over assemblies, the drone must have RID.

Category 2 must have rotors that cannot cut human flesh, be approved by the FAA as Cat 2 and bear a sticker that so states, not have an impact energy greater than 11 pound feet, and have RID to fly over assemblies.

Category 3 cannot fly over assemblies, cannot have an impact energy greater than 25 pound feet, must not have rotors that can cut human flesh, must have the Cat 3 sticker and related FAA approval. They also need RID. Then there are certain restrictive requirements to fly over people at all.

Read the new regs to get the full story.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnyaB
In the new rigs that were promulgated on 06 April 2021 and go live on 21 April 2021, the rules for flying over people are changed and create 4 categories of drones. Categories 1 thru 3 are drones most folks will ge able to buy while category 4 drones need a Part 21 certification and will likely not be cost effective for most folks.

Category 1 is for drones under 250 grams and they must have rotors that cannot cut human flesh. To fly over assemblies, the drone must have RID.

Category 2 must have rotors that cannot cut human flesh, be approved by the FAA as Cat 2 and bear a sticker that so states, not have an impact energy greater than 11 pound feet, and have RID to fly over assemblies.

Category 3 cannot fly over assemblies, cannot have an impact energy greater than 25 pound feet, must not have rotors 5hat can cut human flesh, must have the Cat 3 sticker and related FAA approval. They also need RID. Then there are certain restrictive requirements to fly over people at all.

Read the news regarding to get the full story.
Thank you for the explanation!

Yes, hype and technically not quite correct. As Stated, "you can't quite compare these two transmission systems...". That depends on the context in which you compare.

Based on technology, my realm of expertise, you'll note that the Current Smart Controller supports the DJI Air 2s!!! (Note the compatibility listed in the lower right of the image below.)
View attachment 127370
As such:

• Distance increase has to be achieved by increasing signal amplitude (power); this is done in routers all the time.
  • Latency and speed to react to the commands had to be addressed by reducing the work needed to convey and interpret the commands
    • Smaller strings, new formats to convey the commands
    • Fewer samples of the sticks & buttons so there's less to interpret
These would achieve real world results without requiring hardware changes; just change the approach in the software and be selective as to where you'd implement it.

Thankfully, it's been implemented in the DJI Smart Controller that was developed long before Occusync 3.0 was a thing (except, perhaps a milestone on a product roadmap).

Good news for folks with the smart controller that were on the fence about getting the Air 2S. If they were holding back, its compatibility with the Air 2S makes it a buy.

Seeing as my $1300 iPhone 12 Max Pro screen is 6.5” (as well as my iPad mini 5 being 7.9”) I can’t see the value of a $750 5.5” (yuch Android) screen. Yea, I know, brightness. But still ………and I’ll probably still end up getting one. ;)

What does Category 2 compliant mean?

In the new regs that were promulgated on 06 April 2021 and go live on 21 April 2021, the rules for flying over people are changed and create 4 categories of drones. Categories 1 thru 3 are drones most folks will be able to buy while category 4 drones need a Part 21 certification and will likely not be cost effective for most folks.

Category 3 cannot fly over assemblies, cannot have an impact energy greater than 25 pound feet, must not have rotors that can cut human flesh, must have the Cat 3 sticker and related FAA approval. They also need RID. Then there are certain restrictive requirements to fly over people at all.

Reactions: ATW

Thanks for answering. When I read further, I saw the answers, and tried to delete my post quickly, but seeing that I deleted to slowly.
You are a gentleman for answering, what I was just not the point in the thread yet, where it was answered. I appreciate you not calling me stupid for asking. This is the friendliest forum ever, I stopped using another forum, because it was full of mean people.

i got my air 2s today bought 2 of them with a friend... we both have blurry middle part on video with 5k or mastershot.. can someone confirm?
Haven’t played with mastershot yet, can test tomorrow and let you know.

I found out today that I live in the extended restriction zone of Wilmington airport when a “VIP” travels, so we will see how that works

i got my air 2s today bought 2 of them with a friend... we both have blurry middle part on video with 5k or mastershot.. can someone confirm?
wow thats not good ,seen a few mastersots videos on youtube but not noticed any can you post a link please ?

check this out the active track and point of interest are no way in focus !! the normal footage looks awesome the detail of the trees ect in the background is way better on the larger sensor

I bought a 2S tonight April 16. Updating Firmware now.
It's getting dark so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to fly it.

Reactions: mshmovie and ATW
Right out of the box I tried to pair with the Smart Controller and it didn't work. I used the supplied controller and smart phone to update the firmware and Fly maps. Then it paired with the Smart Controller.
I was able to fly for a few minutes at dusk. The video is a huge improvement over the Air2.

Reactions: mshmovie and ATW
Seeing as my $1300 iPhone 12 Max Pro screen is 6.5” (as well as my iPad mini 5 being 7.9”) I can’t see the value of a $750 5.5” (yuch Android) screen. Yea, I know, brightness. But still ………and I’ll probably still end up getting one. ;)
I can relate. I have an ipad mini 5 LTE with 256GB RAM I've used to fly; IOS devices don't charge from the DJI controllers like Android devices do (which is suboptimal and I prefer Android in all other respects - but my frame of reference is as someone that develops software platforms - not a typical user).

Regardless, the smart controller is super convenient and bright and you get flying without cables, tablet mounts and hoods; I like it a lot.

I won't go into Apple's value proposition, but I have a 16" MacBook Pro Core i9 with 64GB ram and a 8TB SSD and it's obscenely expensive compared to a similarly spec'ed Dell. The ideal setup is the one that makes you happy when you use it.

Enjoy every day, that's why we're on this forum. ?

Enjoy the weekend and happy flying.

Reactions: JustADude and ATW
I bought a 2S tonight April 16. Updating Firmware now.
It's getting dark so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to fly it.
Enjoy your new rig.

My AIR 2S is coming tomorrow; slight FedEx delay. Bought the Hanatora battery charger for the Air 2 (have it for my M2 Pro and it's great) so I can charge up to four batteries simultaneously; super handy.

AIR 2S Lens Hood? Does anyone have any info on a lens hood that works with the Air 2S? Do the ones designed for the Air 2 work? Or would they restrict the new camera/gimbal assembly?

Enjoy your new rig.

My AIR 2S is coming tomorrow; slight FedEx delay. Bought the Hanatora battery charger for the Air 2 (have it for my M2 Pro and it's great) so I can charge up to four batteries simultaneously; super handy.
It’s really really nice. I got one day with it but am currently sitting on the outer edge of the secondary no fly zone for Wilmington, DE so I’m stuck just looking at it until tomorrow night.

AIR 2S Lens Hood? Does anyone have any info on a lens hood that works with the Air 2S? Do the ones designed for the Air 2 work? Or would they restrict the new camera/gimbal assembly?
The camera gimbal is significantly larger on the 2S so they won't fit.

The camera gimbal is significantly larger on the 2S so they won't fit.
Thank you. You likely saved me a purchase and a return. I'll look forward to an Air 2S Lens Hood becoming available. Again, much appreciated.

It’s really really nice. I got one day with it but am currently sitting on the outer edge of the secondary no fly zone for Wilmington, DE so I’m stuck just looking at it until tomorrow night.
Sounds like something to look forward to. Mine comes between 10:05 and 3:30 as per FedEx, but thankfully, I'm far from grounded. :)

Sounds like something to look forward to. Mine comes between 10:05 and 3:30 as per FedEx, but thankfully, I'm far from grounded. :)
Well? How do you like it? I’m still grounded until Sunday night.. so nothing again until Monday morning. Next time I’ll drive the 30 minutes to a park as I’m right on the edge of the 28nm circle

Well? How do you like it? I’m still grounded until Sunday night.. so nothing again until Monday morning. Next time I’ll drive the 30 minutes to a park as I’m right on the edge of the 28nm circle
To soon to let you know - I'm afraid. All three batteries are charged, the drone is labeled with my contact info and UAS FAA info and I'll activate my 2 year DJI Care Refresh Sunday/tomorrow.

Today I focused on my Mavic Pro Platinum and flew it a couple of times (all still as good as new).

I'll fly the Air 2S Sunday and use the Mavic Pro Platinum to introduce another forum member to drones to assist with their first purchase decision; the MPP has two controllers and DJI RE Goggles bound to it - safe way to let someone new fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User