DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody excited for Air 2S?

I just talked to the DJI support and it does not have a CE class identification. They say the industry specification isn't ready yet, and I have heard elsewhere that EASA isn't done with the specification. I guess the Mini 2 is the only option for me right now but it doesn't have a good enough camera. Tough situation.

The Air 2s does look really nice though.

Reactions: Benmavicpilot
just spoken to DJI chat ,he confirmed that the Air 2 S has Airsense in europe now that was from the engineers 2 minutes ago. :p

where does it say ocusync 3 ?
arh yes cool just got the specs.

O3
2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz Auto-Switching (compatible with OcuSync 2.0)
4-antenna 2T4R

Reactions: gcubed
That is a reasonable ramble.

I would assert there's more data being sent from the drone (AC) to the controller than the controller to the Aircraft; you need much less data to express directional and gimbal commands.

However, 0ccusync 3.0 is stated to have less latency which is not a function of transmission power. It would likely be a rework of what is packed into the data stream so less data needs to be sent to execute a command, less compression and decompression and/or less time marshalling and unmarshalling the data from the packets so the commands can be received at the same time (a limit of physics), but extracted, interpreted and executed faster. (I'm a CTO with a little over 40 years of software development; that's what I'd do using the same communications conduit to improve efficiency.)

Needless to say, I love this stuff.

LOL, I think I may have been close. Check out at 6:00 in this video:

MMMM confused, i have now been told that the ADS-B feature is still being finalized for europe ,wish they would make there minds up !!! :(

MMMM confused, i have now been told that the ADS-B feature is still being finalized for europe ,wish they would make there minds up !!! :(
You guys on the other side of the pond are in such a weird window where unless you are ok with a potential temporary drone the mini 2 is the only “new” option if you want to fly around people.

Reactions: Benmavicpilot
You guys on the other side of the pond are in such a weird window where unless you are ok with a potential temporary drone the mini 2 is the only “new” option if you want to fly around people.
Not at all if you join a recognised club or get the A2cofc certificate it gives great options.especially flying within article 16 CAA.

Yes is frustrating as sure a lot of us in the UK would buy this drone in an instant if it was marked as C1. If it were then we could fly it under A1 rules just like a mini2 except ‘minimising flying over uninvolved people.’.

As it isn’t classified, come January 2023 we are restricted to fly away from people and over 150 metres from a built up area. Following the rules under A3 means not flying anywhere where the pilot believes uninvolved people might be present in range of the flight.. basically no public spaces.

Yes is frustrating as sure a lot of us in the UK would buy this drone in an instant if it was marked as C1. If it were then we could fly it under A1 rules just like a mini2 except ‘minimising flying over uninvolved people.’.

As it isn’t classified, come January 2023 we are restricted to fly away from people and over 150 metres from a built up area. Following the rules under A3 means not flying anywhere where the pilot believes uninvolved people might be present in range of the flight.. basically no public spaces.

8.1 Model Aircraft with an MTOM between 250g and 7.5Kg

Our Authorisation stipulates that model aircraft (other than free flight aircraft) between 250g and 7.5Kg cannot be operated:

• Within 30m of any uninvolved person. (Uninvolved Persons are those who are not participating in the UAS operation or who are not aware of the instructions and safety precautions given by the UAS operator). This distance may be reduced to 15m for take-off and landing subject to adequate local mitigations to protect uninvolved persons and the completion of a risk assessment.
  • Within a horizontal distance of 30m of assemblies of people. (Assemblies of people are gatherings where persons are unable to move away due to the density of the people present).
  • Article 16 CAA

8.1 Model Aircraft with an MTOM between 250g and 7.5Kg

Our Authorisation stipulates that model aircraft (other than free flight aircraft) between 250g and 7.5Kg cannot be operated:

• Within 30m of any uninvolved person. (Uninvolved Persons are those who are not participating in the UAS operation or who are not aware of the instructions and safety precautions given by the UAS operator). This distance may be reduced to 15m for take-off and landing subject to adequate local mitigations to protect uninvolved persons and the completion of a risk assessment.
  • Within a horizontal distance of 30m of assemblies of people. (Assemblies of people are gatherings where persons are unable to move away due to the density of the people present).
  • Article 16 CAA
Is that a section from the BMFA rules / regs?

Not sure on how that plays with the rules on drones but guessing it doesn’t override legacy drones only being able to fly in group A3 come Jan ‘23?

I am not a lawyer though :) just know I ain’t doing a grand on a drone without a C classification at this stage.

We've had the Mavic Air 2, Mini 2, and DJI FPV all in a span of one year. The Mavic Air 2S is on the horizon and may even have an April release. When is the point where you'll have too many drones? Even the richest people I know upgrade phones once a year. I think that DJI drones are great but c'mon, does anyone really spend thousands of dollars collecting drones? Personally speaking, from someone who has the original Mavic Air and Mini 2, do you think that the Air 2S would ALSO be worth getting and should I keep my other drones if I do get this thing?
No

LOL, I think I may have been close. Check out at 6:00 in this video:

Yes, hype and technically not quite correct. As Stated, "you can't quite compare these two transmission systems...". That depends on the context in which you compare.

Based on technology, my realm of expertise, you'll note that the Current Smart Controller supports the DJI Air 2s!!! (Note the compatibility listed in the lower right of the image below.)
1618513861763.png
As such:

• Distance increase has to be achieved by increasing signal amplitude (power); this is done in routers all the time.
  • Latency and speed to react to the commands had to be addressed by reducing the work needed to convey and interpret the commands
    • Smaller strings, new formats to convey the commands
    • Fewer samples of the sticks & buttons so there's less to interpret
These would achieve real world results without requiring hardware changes; just change the approach in the software and be selective as to where you'd implement it.

Thankfully, it's been implemented in the DJI Smart Controller that was developed long before Occusync 3.0 was a thing (except, perhaps a milestone on a product roadmap).

Good news for folks with the smart controller that were on the fence about getting the Air 2S. If they were holding back, its compatibility with the Air 2S makes it a buy.

Is that a section from the BMFA rules / regs?

Not sure on how that plays with the rules on drones but guessing it doesn’t override legacy drones only being able to fly in group A3 come Jan ‘23?

I am not a lawyer though :) just know I ain’t doing a grand on a drone without a C classification at this stage.
i think it will be changed before that date the clubs are working with the CAA to get the A2cofc into the mix by then there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

I'm pretty sure that the legacy grace period will be extended, or they will at least grandfather in <1kg stuff in to the C2 class of the Open category. Then we can fly under A2 regs.
I don't think there's any way the Air 2 could ever be C1 class due to the following requirement:

"Designed to minimise injuries to people"

That's pretty much going to require ducted props and bumpers.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian