DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody excited for Air 2S?

I pulled the trigger on an Air 2 because I doubt the Air 2S will be compliant with Category 2 standards and will likely be a couple hundred bucks more than the Air 2. I plan to use the Air 2 until a Category 2 model comes out with a decent camera. Then I will reassess what might be the best tool for the job.
I bought the Air 2 last year and like you I will wait until the new certified drone comes out in the UK to allow me to take benefit from my A2CoC certification Flying in the Open category A2 with the benefits that will bring. Maybe the Air 2S can be retrospectively certified but it seems unlikely. I hope the smart controller can be used with the Air 2 and the Air2S and with the new certified drones when released but until confirmation I will wait As the Air 2 is already an awesome little drone.

I bought my Air 2 last month on Amazon then bought the FPV after watching all the hype on YouTube. I really love the FPV flying with the goggles and the with the motion control is so immersive. I was instantly addicted. Then a few days later the internet posted that the Air 2S has Occusink 3, compatible with the goggles and motion controller. I was lucky enough to return the 2 S now I’m waiting a few days for the Air 2S release. I think this would be a great addition to those who own the DII FPV.
i have read rumors about the ocusync 3.0 lets hope its right for your goggles use ,the only thing that makes me doubt the 3.0 is the controller looks the same externally...i do hope it is 3.0 ,as for the users of the smart controller i can see you may have issues if it does have ocusync 3.0 but it is a 3 year old bit of kit and dji will be bringing out a replacement soon i guess.i did read somewhere about a possible replacement but cannot think where it was.

if this is real its ocusync 3 chaps.
:D

I'm just interested in how they handle the backward compat. Like, is the remote the same and it has OS3 built on but drop to OS2 with other remotes? Is the remote actually different?
Could be slightly different internals ! may only work with its remote and nothing else .

Reactions: Droniac
Another interesting video side by side comparison. More fun guessing since we will know more tomorrow.

yes i saw that good clear images ,no mention of ocusync on spec sheet but clearly shows on the promo video.

its there under transmitter power. Its a more powerful transmitter in the 2s and the reach specs at 12km vs 10
Yes I saw that but no mention of ocusync 3.0

The above video indicates the Air2s use the same controller as the Air2. The leaked promo video indicates the Air2s has OS3. Either the drone is capable of OS3 and only achieves that with the goggles and motion controller and not the RC231 controller, or the RC231 controller is capable of OS2 and OS3 through just a software upgrade.

Last edited:
Another interesting video side by side comparison. More fun guessing since we will know more tomorrow.

What I appreciated most about this video is confirmation of the batteries being interchangeable (actually identical); good for anyone on the fence that has MA2 as the barrier of entry to a MA2S can be the basic kit and can leverage the MA2 batteries.

Also of interest is the first unboxing listed the transmitter's part as being identical to the Mini 2 and MA2, but it's Occusync 3; I'm assuming Software Defined Radio and that DJI will decide if they'll program the smart controlled for O3 or thread us up the upgrade path.

Are you all sure that Ocusync isn't AC specific (more power on the downlink side) and really isn't anything other than a software "switch" to be enabled on the RC? That would make sense if you are doing FPV which viewing comes down from the A/C. The RC just has to RECEIVE in while the AC is doing the sending. As for sending COMMANDS from the RC just a more sensitive rcvr in the AC would cover the slightly less power on the uplink for max distance. Just ramblin' :)

Are you all sure that Ocusync isn't AC specific (more power on the downlink side) and really isn't anything other than a software "switch" to be enabled on the RC? That would make sense if you are doing FPV which viewing comes down from the A/C. The RC just has to RECEIVE in while the AC is doing the sending. As for sending COMMANDS from the RC just a more sensitive rcvr in the AC would cover the slightly less power on the uplink for max distance. Just ramblin' :)
That is a reasonable ramble.

I would assert there's more data being sent from the drone (AC) to the controller than the controller to the Aircraft; you need much less data to express directional and gimbal commands.

However, 0ccusync 3.0 is stated to have less latency which is not a function of transmission power. It would likely be a rework of what is packed into the data stream so less data needs to be sent to execute a command, less compression and decompression and/or less time marshalling and unmarshalling the data from the packets so the commands can be received at the same time (a limit of physics), but extracted, interpreted and executed faster. (I'm a CTO with a little over 40 years of software development; that's what I'd do using the same communications conduit to improve efficiency.)

Needless to say, I love this stuff.

Reactions: RetiredInFL
I'm excited to hear @vicvideopic say "the footage is excellent" in his wonderful Sicilian accent in a future video.

Reactions: vicvideopic
Last edited:
Instant buy for me.. except for the lack of C certification :(

Not going to spend £1169 on a drone that is relegated to use >150m from man beast or building in a year and a half here in the UK and Europe.

Hopefully air 3 in 2022 is certified.

Reactions: joeywestside
Nothing on Best Buy yet, guess I gotta go for a drive this morning

So the website specifically calls out the SC support. That’s interesting, guess no refresh there, and must mean there is a bigger layer of compatibility between OS2 and 3 than we thought

Last edited:
Ordered

nothing about airsense on the uk DJI site guess they bombed the UK out again !!!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21