DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else seeing large battery drain on iphone?

Tested earlier with airplane mode enabled, GPS/location services still ON, video caching off. Battery usage remain the same, roughly 1% per minute, so GPS isn't what is killing the battery

Going to try again in an hour or so with the same settings except turn video caching on and see what happens

I have not yet received my Mavic to see if it happens, but I have the OSMO and the DJI app drains the phone (iPhone 6) from full charge to less than 10% in 75 minutes of recording. That is with no other apps running, only the WiFi (required for the OSMO). Pretty sure it is the app to blame, not the OSMO (or Mavic). Problem does not happen however when I fly my P3P but I tend to use my iPad rather than iPhone.but the few times I have used the phone I did not observe the drain.

Took the Mavic for a couple of flights this morning.
At the end of the first 5 minutes flight I noticed that my iPhone 6 had shut down (completely shut down).
After I powered it up, it showed around 60% battery left.
Took off again for a 5 minutes or so flight and the phone completely shut down again towards the end of the flight - black screen! Landed the Mavic, which was nearby. Easy, but definitely disturbing.
Powered up the phone again and sure enough, around 55% battery left.
So: random complete sudden iPhone shutdowns when flying while there is plenty of juice left in the phone.
Phone's power button is unobstructed and I am nowhere near touching it.

This is not good.....I'll try flying some with my iPad Mini and see what happens.

Are you using the old GO app or the new v4?

Try disabling video caching also and see if that helps. I got it down to about 1% per minute of flight time with those settings

I've only briefly played with the new app but it seems to be similiar

If you're looking for it on the app store you have to specifically search for "DJI GO 4" to find it

Reactions: Frits
Are you using the old GO app or the new v4?

Try disabling video caching also and see if that helps. I got it down to about 1% per minute of flight time with those settings

I've only briefly played with the new app but it seems to be similiar

If you're looking for it on the app store you have to specifically search for "DJI GO 4" to find it
Thanks for that!
Downloaded DJI4, works fine.
Question: where do I disable video caching? (it still records to the phone. In the App's settings I can clear the cache - and disable using cellular data to upload) but I have not found where to disable caching.

It's on that same screen "Cache during video shooting" is what it's called in the v4 app. I don't recall on the earlier ones but it's labeled in a similar way

It's on that same screen "Cache during video shooting" is what it's called in the v4 app. I don't recall on the earlier ones but it's labeled in a similar way

Thanks, really appreciate your help!

I don't see that. It shows:
- use cellular data to upload (disabled)
- camera view quick launch (enabled - not sure what this does)
- clear cache
- reset beginner guide
- privacy
- language
- rate us

Checked around as much as I could, but did not find anything to disable caching into the iPhone.

Strange, here is a screenshot from mine

Attachments

• iPhone 006.PNG
    iPhone 006.PNG
    361.1 KB · Views: 67
Strange, here is a screenshot from mine
Hah, just found it!
I was looking in the wrong place (just in the App itself). I found out that you need to connect up the system and then click on the top-right to go to settings and it got me there.
Found this YouTube video also:

I'll try again later with the V4 app and caching now disabled.

Thanks again!

Has anyone tried using there original iphone lighting/usb cable when connecting their iphone to the mavic controller? The reason i ask, is the original cable has circuitry in the lighting connector to provision pins and identify it to the iOS.
I am going to try mine later.

I did a flight yesterday (iPhone 6) and it was unbelievable. With a fully charged battery, I got a warning after 4 minutes and 45 seconds that I was at 10%. By the time I got the Mavic landed (30 seconds later), the phone was totally flat and dead. The interesting thing was when I plugged it in to charge, it was back to 85% in eight minutes. Note that I tired an iPad and there is no problem at all so it appears to be uniquely related to the iPhone. And now I have to wait eight days to get into the Apple store. (Incidentally, I was using DJI Go 4)

Has anyone tried using there original iphone lighting/usb cable when connecting their iphone to the mavic controller? The reason i ask, is the original cable has circuitry in the lighting connector to provision pins and identify it to the iOS.
I am going to try mine later.
I just tried to fly iphone 6 @75% battery, and controller @ 84%. And my phone, airplane mode on, wifi and bluetooth off. Video cache disabled, hardware accel enabled. Background refresh off, and no other apps running. My phone went low battery warning in three minutes and shutdown a minute later using DJI Go 3.1.1.

Going to reattempt with DJI Go 4.

I'm sure the apple store will have something insightful to try like resetting your phone back to factory defaults :eek:

I'm sure the apple store will have something insightful to try like resetting your phone back to factory defaults :eek:

Apple store is useless in my opinion. Few years ago they were great and would swap phones, now its simply go buy a new one. And once the next one comes out your current one is already in self destruct mode haha

Yup. I used to be able to walk in with pretty much any miniscule problem and if they couldn't fix it I'd get a new phone on the spot, no issue at all. Now they run tests for an hour (after I wait an hour past the appointment time I set up a week ago), say they can't reproduce it, so there's nothing they can do. Pretty annoying

My opinion is this is what you get with an operations guy running the company instead of Steve Jobs

Reactions: Squamer
Below is the battery usage if iphone 6 & 100% charge less than two hours before, and DJI go 4 wasnt even running at all, even in the background. And it wasnt hooked up to the mavic controller, it was hust being a phone in my pocket with no usage.

Than after a hard reboot the phone reported that it was at 91%.

There is a serious issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.PNG
    IMG_1738.PNG
    104.3 KB · Views: 54
Took the Mavic for a couple of flights this morning.
At the end of the first 5 minutes flight I noticed that my iPhone 6 had shut down (completely shut down).
After I powered it up, it showed around 60% battery left.
Took off again for a 5 minutes or so flight and the phone completely shut down again towards the end of the flight - black screen! Landed the Mavic, which was nearby. Easy, but definitely disturbing.
Powered up the phone again and sure enough, around 55% battery left.
So: random complete sudden iPhone shutdowns when flying while there is plenty of juice left in the phone.
Phone's power button is unobstructed and I am nowhere near touching it.

This is not good.....I'll try flying some with my iPad Mini and see what happens.

This is exactly what happens with my iPhone 6 as well when I fly my Phantom. Specially in cold weather. It can be a matter of ten minutes before the phone turns off.
Luckily with the P3Standard I can connect a power bank to the phone. Not so with the other Phantoms or the Mavic I believe...
That's why I am sceptical to buying a Mavic if I can't use my iPhone while connected to a power bank.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

have you guys tried disabling video caching, putting it in airplane mode and disabling location services? I was able to get better usage down to about 1% of iPhone battery per minute of flying when I did all of that. I haven't figured out which thing in particular helps the most but doing all of those things made a huge difference on mine.

There are obvious negatives from doing this but it's better than having the phone go dead..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60