DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone going to swap out their mavic pros with the new mavic air?

2.4 mile range (never went this far with my mavic)

Thats a crucial point. Not much people need 7km range. However a signal that can go that far is stronger and thus super reliable even at small distances with a lot of interference around. A feature that provides security. It looks to me that DJI is shifting the usage of their consumer drones to small distance with lots of preprogrammed flight maneuvers, made more foolproof.

I‘m a bit concerned that the successor of the Mavic Pro (which the Air is not) will come with reduced range and consequently a less stable signal.

Aside from the portability (and really cool looks) one of the things that attracted me to the MP was Occusync. I also have Parrot Bebop 2 Power and it uses WiFi and has a 2km range, and if you’re in an area with any type of interference you’re lucky to get half of that distance.

100mbps is the only thing tempting me at the minute. That should cope with high amounts of complex detail in scenes much better than the 60mbps of the Mav. However, there's a lot of other factors that could make or break it. I really do hope they've fixed their over aggressive NR and the 1080 footage. I'll wait to see if those are sorted, and if so, I may swap out for the Air and put any money left over towards a 25mm for the X5R.

The only issue for me is the battery life. Even so, that's an easy fix by just having additional batteries. Casey Neistat already posted a good new comparison video. Of course, it has to be taken with a grain of salt since they probably pay him for the review, but based on the eye test, I think it looks fantastic.

Casey dose not get "paid" to do a video for a DJI product from DJI, but they do give him free stuff. He has said that in a few of his videos. He gets a ton of crap from companies to "review" but he is not paid as is such with most youtubers/Vloggers. It is just the new way of promotion for manufactures these days. Send the heavy hitters free stuff and they will make a video about it, The youtuber gets paid based on add sense and the manufacturer gets a free commercial. Win Win!

No. I like the sleek form of Mavic Air, but I’ll wait to compare Mavic 2 with Autel’s Evo drone. The Mavic Air is an advanced selfie drone. The Mavic Pro is an explorer.

Reactions: Greg Smithski
Based off the specs its pretty tempting 4k 30fps @ 100mb, 3-axis gimbal, 2.4 mile range(never went this far with my mavic), front and rear sensors, even smaller size...anyone thinking the same?

I'm probably going to stick with the Mavic Pro but if I'm a new drone buyer I would definitely get the Mavic Air for sure. As I mainly use the Mavic Pro for creating videos and I do a lot of traveling, hiking. The benefits for me is the 4K 30fps @100mb and the even smaller size.

Check out my youtube channel if you want to see some of my drone footage Jeff B

It’s 4km distance in USA and 2km (6500ft) everywhere else

I blast 6000ft everytime I fly my Mavic Pro so no way, why trade for a much worse drone I don’t get that.

The 100mbps bitrate and smaller size are enough for me to switch and after downloading sample images and video from Tom's Tech Time and editing them per my usual routine, I'm sold. The video quality is so much better than my Mavic - in both colors and detail. The better bitrate is very noticeable to the trained eye, but maybe not so much for a novice. I'll do my own testing if I can find one at a local store tomorrow.

Reactions: philh24
Remains to be seen if the 100mbps rate will translate to better real world IQ. Is that bitrate available in all modes or just at the highest resolution/frame rate?

I'll pass on the Air and hope that the introduction of the Air pushes the MPP replacement closer to my ideal platform.

I bought it but I’m not excited about it. I was really hoping for the Mavic pro 2. I’ve had my Mavic Pro from day one of launch. I like it but I’ve never seemed to get the video quality I’ve expected. Could be me, but I’m thinking I may have gotten one of the bum early production ones that had aberrations. Never confirmed it though. The 100mbps seems will make a significant difference as well.

I also do not like the focusing on the Mavic. Because you can’t always see it on the screen I don’t like always wondering if I have it focused right. I like the fixed focus on the Mavic Air.

I never feel the Mavic Pro is bulky, but I have a 3 week trip to Thailand and I figure the smaller the better.

I think I may actually use the APAS for videos. Currently I like to shoot shots where I’m buzzing closely over things like trees. I can never be too close and it’s always a gamble so it would be nice to have something like APAS watching out for me.

All that said I hate the shorter distance, decreased flight time and possible glitchier video when flying with obstructions in the RF signal. I rarely go beyond 2.5 miles, and if I do it’s really just to see how cool it is to go that far. I’m usually not filming anything useful and I’m always concerned I’m too far away. So I do t think the distance limitation will be that big of a deal as long as it has a solid signal that far out and comparable connectivity quality at that distance in variable obstruction circumstances.

I’m not thrilled about the batttery life but will just have to see if those 6 min really feel significantly shorter when I fly.

So, I wish I had all things on my wish list but I’m hoping the sacrifices aren’t too bad and the improvements live up to the hype. But I sure wish they would have announced the Mavic Pro 2, but I suspect that will be somewhere around October.

Z

Reactions: AAPhoto
The only thing I don’t like about my mp is I feel the gimbal is a major point of failure, feels so flimsy. Plus adding and removing lenses is scary haha

21 minute flight time, WiFi signal & no upgrade to the camera? No thanks.
This should've been called the Spark Air.Smaller isn't always better.
Waiting for an actual upgrade to the Mavic Pro's camera.

Mavic pro: 4k 30fps, 3-axis, 4.3 miles, front/bottom sensors, longer flight time (27 mins), still compact enough for traveling.
Mavic air difference: smaller, slightly faster, rear sensors

...21 minute flight time, WiFi signal. No Thanks.

Based off the specs its pretty tempting 4k 30fps @ 100mb, 3-axis gimbal, 2.4 mile range(never went this far with my mavic), front and rear sensors, even smaller size...anyone thinking the same?

I'm probably going to stick with the Mavic Pro but if I'm a new drone buyer I would definitely get the Mavic Air for sure. As I mainly use the Mavic Pro for creating videos and I do a lot of traveling, hiking. The benefits for me is the 4K 30fps @100mb and the even smaller size.

Check out my youtube channel if you want to see some of my drone footage Jeff B

No but I might swap it out for the autel evo!

I have my P3P and Mavic Pro which are both fine for my needs and interests. Not getting the Air or P5 or ?, instead moving on to a new adventure, the PowerRay Underwater drone. Just waiting for the ice to come off in my neck of the woods to start exploring. And a bonus ...no regs yet, just use common sense.
PowerRay Underwater Robot | Redefine Recreational Fishing

i think if you already have a mavic then no but if you were considering buying a mavic then this might just put the cat amongst the pigeons LOL. plus if you use the goggles then the mav is the way to go.

No, I'm going to hang on to my Mavic Pro. It's the first and last Mavic that you can mod. The Air seems like a great drone for backpackers, or the selfie crowd that wants a drone to fit in their pocket. We'll see what the Mavic Pro 2 looks like or the Autel’s Evo.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica