DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Arizona

So I just had my first flight here near price and Willis. Went perfect. Flew her 2500M or 1.5 miles. Never lost signal strength, GPS etc. maybe could have gone further but I figured this was ok for a first flight. Lol

Reactions: BluesDragon
So I just had my first flight here near price and Willis. Went perfect. Flew her 2500M or 1.5 miles. Never lost signal strength, GPS etc. maybe could have gone further but I figured this was ok for a first flight. Lol
Very nice! Looks like weather was on your side this morning.

Yep. Even had some trees to stand under. Lol

So it doesn’t land right away. This is where it is verifying the ground is level and able to land fine?

Yep. Even had some trees to stand under. Lol

So it doesn’t land right away. This is where it is verifying the ground is level and able to land fine?
Yes, it drop to around 3ft and pauses for couple seconds to make sure ground is suitable for landing.

Nice man! Yeah I've gone 26,000' here before. @Phxbird loves this spot!

It's like that first time group ridin' with the bike. Just keep to your comfort zone and you'll get there in your own time. ;)

Maybe a crazy question but I’m in Tempe...if I call sky harbor and get clearance can I fly over the zoo in the Papago park area? How about Big Surf (not in flight restriction area)

Seems confusing. I can take off outside of protected areas and fly in those areas but can it take off or land IN those areas?

Not a whole lot of spaces to fly within the city I guess

Maybe a crazy question but I’m in Tempe...if I call sky harbor and get clearance can I fly over the zoo in the Papago park area? How about Big Surf (not in flight restriction area)

Seems confusing. I can take off outside of protected areas and fly in those areas but can it take off or land IN those areas?

Not a whole lot of spaces to fly within the city I guess

Well the tower doesn't give you clearance. You're giving them notification.

But if your within 5 miles of SkyHarbor you can't fly period.

Ok. I bought that was the case but on the “before you fly” app the area is green and says to call. Do you use an app to check for clearance?

Ok. I bought that was the case but on the “before you fly” app the area is green and says to call. Do you use an app to check for clearance?

You know I don't. I find it's a little overly cautious.

I alway look at UAVFORECAST OR KITTYHAWK.IO apps.

In class D you're usually in good shape as long as you're under 400'.

However if you're inside of the 5 miles of a major airport you shouldn't fly there. Have I? Yes. Again under 400'. If you're inside of the "critical" zone 1 or 2 miles you may see aircraft below 400' then you shouldn't fly at all.

A good rule is if it's Class D stay under 400'. Anything just stay away.

I think I'm going to head out to the new Cub stadium and do some flying there. Should get great shots of he baseball fields and park right there.

So the Hover app said I was all good but the B4UFly app says flight restriction even though I'm 6.6 miles from the airport which is odd.

Anyhow this is not the best place to fly. Lots of interference as there are poles and lights etc everywhere lol

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLightSpeed!
AZ flyer here as well. @AZrrt you sounds like you are very close to me. I live on Elliot and Dobson. Was also thinking about going to desert breeze soon as well as the baseball fields as you mentioned. Just had my first flight last weekend. I actually just met another member this morning out in south Chandler. Unfortunately we were in a NFZ at Tumbleweed Park so we didn't get our mavics up. Is ASU/ Tempe town lake a NFZ? I wanted to get a few shots of the new stadium (obviously when its empty).

I have been checking here DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

ASU looks like its an enhanced warning zone but not a NFZ.

Yep I’m off baseline and hardy. I have seen all kinds of flights on YouTube over Tempe town lake and asu etc. and most within the description said they got clearance ahead of time. Seems odd as that is in a direct take off/landing slope

Coming to Sedona today from San Antonio. It sounds
Like the area is pretty anti drone. Any suggestions on places to fly and anyone going to be flying in the area?

Coming to Sedona today from San Antonio. It sounds
Like the area is pretty anti drone. Any suggestions on places to fly and anyone going to be flying in the area?
Howdy. I live in Gilbert AZ but flying in Sedona is hard do to restrictions. You might want to download the app named AirMap for better info of the area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998