DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone know what causes this?

Paul Harvey

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The attached is four still frames from a video I took of my MA2s taking off. I shot the vid at 30 frames per second (I know...it should have been 60 :/)

Anyway, note how the props look like they're flying off in pieces in the top two images and the props look curved in all of them.

Of course, the props were fine, straight, and intact. Does anyone know what causes this optical illusion?

Thanks,
Livingstonmavic collage.jpg

That's classic rolling shutter. Many detailed explanations exist online you can research but it's essentially caused by the way the camera sensor records each frame. The sensor scans the image one row of pixels at a time, from one side to the other, from top to bottom. When attempting to record something with extremely fast motion, like a drone rotor, the scan speed of the sensor is not fast enough to accurately capture the object in motion. So you get those weird looking bend and tear artifacts. There are cameras with what's called global shutter and they don't suffer from that issue. They expose an entire frame instantaneously (just like a film frame) and are ideal for capturing fast motion. They also have other benefits. But they are significantly more expensive and not common in consumer gear.

This is rolling shutter. This happens to all cameras that have an electronic shutter. Depending on your shutter speed it might not happen, instead, the props will look blurry. I also found it looking funny, it happened to me too when I took a photo with my phone of my S500 drone:

1647851987116.png

At first I really thought the props were bending, but of course that isn't possible because they are made of plastic.
But when I was taking a photo of a mavic from a mavic, this didn't happen, probably because the shutter speed is different, the props just got blurry instead, just like they appear in reality, here is a photo:

1647852110667.png

That's classic rolling shutter. Many detailed explanations exist online you can research but it's essentially caused by the way the camera sensor records each frame. The sensor scans the image one row of pixels at a time, from one side to the other, from top to bottom. When attempting to record something with extremely fast motion, like a drone rotor, the scan speed of the sensor is not fast enough to accurately capture the object in motion. So you get those weird looking bend and tear artifacts. There are cameras with what's called global shutter and they don't suffer from that issue. They expose an entire frame instantaneously (just like a film frame) and are ideal for capturing fast motion. They also have other benefits. But they are significantly more expensive and not common in consumer gear.
Thank you! Never heard of rolling shutter before :/

This is rolling shutter. This happens to all cameras that have an electronic shutter. Depending on your shutter speed it might not happen, instead, the props will look blurry. I also found it looking funny, it happened to me too when I took a photo with my phone of my S500 drone:

View attachment 145543

At first I really thought the props were bending, but of course that isn't possible because they are made of plastic.
But when I was taking a photo of a mavic from a mavic, this didn't happen, probably because the shutter speed is different, the props just got blurry instead, just like they appear in reality, here is a photo:

View attachment 145544
Thanks, I'm going to try my mirrorless slr. Also shooting down on it at different shutter speeds...great idea!

This explains something that's been bugging me for years!

I've taken a lot of film pictures out of the windshield of single engine prop planes, and there was never an issue. Then, when I went to taking them with a digital lens, I started getting these same weird artifacts.

It was so annoying that I just stopped doing it.

But at least now I know what it is!

Thx!

:)

TCS

Reactions: Paul Harvey
This is similar to an effect found in old mechanical scanning panoramic cameras that sweep the lens from side to side, such as those used for wide-angle school portraits. Kids who were on one end of the scan would sometimes duck and dash over to the other end, so they appeared twice in the same photo.

In this case the scanning was much slower, of course, so distortion of shapes wasn't as evident.

There are 1080 lines in a HD picture, the camera scans the scene line by line just like a photo copier, and this takes time. Consequently each line is exposed a little later than the previous one and your propeller has moved to a new position as seen in the resulting final image.

...always reminds me of the bending pencil...lol.

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
...always reminds me of the bending pencil...lol.
A truly uncanny demonstration that the eye/optic nerve/brain system doesn't provide 100% accurate perception. However, since our vision doesn't use anything remotely resembling raster scanning, some other mechanism must be at work there.

As a child, I convinced several other kids that I really could make pencils become rubbery, and even vary how floppy it became (by varying how tightly I held the pencil and how I moved my hand).

• Haha
Reactions: NG Wildman
The attached is four still frames from a video I took of my MA2s taking off. I shot the vid at 30 frames per second (I know...it should have been 60 :/)

Anyway, note how the props look like they're flying off in pieces in the top two images and the props look curved in all of them.

Of course, the props were fine, straight, and intact. Does anyone know what causes this optical illusion?

Thanks,
LivingstonView attachment 145539
An effect called "rolling shutter". Look it up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne