DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone still on their original battery?

After losing my platinum and upgrading to M2P I was amazed by the performance increase. I used the original battery(still do) over 500 flights and 5500000' flown(÷5280 for miles) I recently bought a new battery and set my longest flight distance 10.9 miles in 3-5 mph wind. The old battery swells but the drone always returns

My concern with the swelling batteries is that if they swell enough they may dislodge themselves from the latches allowing a disconnect and a crashed drone. Especially if that particular battery happened to be like the one that I had replaced by DJI that didn't latch properly. As mentioned before, I will still use the batteries but I will no longer fly with them.

I bought three batteries over a year and a half ago when I purchased my MP2Z and, knock on wood, they still seem to be in great shape so far...

Reactions: Coskier
Three of my 4 original batteries for the M2P are still I service doing fine after over 600 hrs total flight time. The one began to show some swelling and is retired to ground work only.

Mavic 2 Pro purchased March 2019

Batteries:
#1 39 Charges-10/2018
#2 37 charges-11/2018

No swelling

Reactions: Coskier
I received one of the first M2P's in Australia when they came out. The three batteries from my Fly More Kit have all swelled up right on 12mths of use and can no longer be used. I will have to check the manufacturer's date. All three contributed to around 160 flights and 50hrs in the air. All were charged the same way using the Fly More multi charger. I have reported to DJI twice and both times they have said they werent aware of this being an issue with anyone else and that after 12mths I'm not covered by any warranty. I would like to push it further though. I've just replaced three batteries and I'm not about to do that every 12mths.

Attachments

• IMG_7652.jpg
    IMG_7652.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7656.jpg
    IMG_7656.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Your pics are certainly dramatic, I'm sure many of the battery disconnects (sudden power loss) in flight would have been caused by swollen battery cases, even much less than yours.

I'm on my first drone, the M1P . . . 3 years now.
Still with original flymore 3 batteries, 1 more bought within the first couple of months, and another 2 added recently.
The original 4 show no swelling whatsoever, and are all perfectly performance wise still . . . the new pair also are fine of course.

Hoping this lasts.

I charge mine before flight now, set to discharge at 5 days.
Sometimes (like at the moment waiting for some cool weather to fly) I'll press the battery buttons on x number of them to override discharge, but other than that I either finish flight at 20 - 30%, or let them discharge as scheduled between flights.

Some people use the flymore USB charging adapter to drain their remaining fully charged batteries down to 50% or so, charge phone or controller etc.
Near the end of trips, I will sometimes use partially charge batteries to download photos or shorter videos using wifi.

DJI should certainly have had many cases of swollen batteries on record, not sure how they can deny it, unless no one reports this ?
They only warranty batteries for 6 months, which goes to show they can have a short life, and they probably have the short warranty because batteries can be abused in charging, storage and in use.

LIPOs are pretty touchy items when you look at the threads on them here.
Once damaged or swollen, they can literally be a very hazardous item to own, in or out of the aircraft.

That's why I stopped using them, within one day all three swelled to the point where they would pop one retaining clip. Worth noting once one side clip is popped it was still very secure and hard to pop the second one.

*swelled to the point they would pop one clip after a flight.
I should note the swelling was progressively getting worse over a couple of weeks before this.
Not any different to conditions in the past. Spring weather, no extremes.

Still using the same batteries on the mavic 2 and the Phantom 4 Pro going on a few years now. Considering all the storms they have been through, that is pretty amazing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm
Coal

Mine are probably too new to be relevant, but here goes. I bought the M2P a month ago with one extra battery, then 2 more batteries a couple weeks later. I’ve got a combined 56 flights, 7 hr 33 min, and 98,849 ft. No swelling so far. But 3 of the 4 batteries were manufactured in the dreaded Jul/Aug 2019 range so I am watching them closely. As these things often go, I expect 3 of them to swell suddenly a few days after the 6 month warranty expires. ?

Mine are probably too new to be relevant, but here goes. I bought the M2P a month ago with one extra battery, then 2 more batteries a couple weeks later. I’ve got a combined 56 flights, 7 hr 33 min, and 98,849 ft. No swelling so far. But 3 of the 4 batteries were manufactured in the dreaded Jul/Aug 2019 range so I am watching them closely. As these things often go, I expect 3 of them to swell suddenly a few days after the 6 month warranty expires. ?

I think the critical dates are from 2018 (not 2019) when the drone was first released but I could be wrong.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Same three from the release and one has been under water all three still work great! Dont even know the one that went under [emoji1306][emoji1303]

My three swollen batteries were from July / August 2018.
Currently have instruction from DJI to send them into repair centre for analysis which is more than they've done previously.

Reactions: ff22
Currently have instruction from DJI to send them into repair centre for analysis which is more than they've done previously.
If they cover them, please report back, but expect them to decline coverage based upon the 6 mo battery warranty.

I am pleased to say the batteries were received by the service centre and the report came back saying they were swollen (duh) and that they will be repaired for free, valued at the price of three new batteries. I can only assume they will send three new ones and not repair the old ones.

My advice to anyone with swollen batteries (especially early batteries) is to start a claim and ask to escalate it if the initial response is 'sorry they are no longer under warranty'. Tell them this is a know problem and you must acknowledge this issue under (insert country) consumer law.

I am pleased to say the batteries were received by the service centre and the report came back saying they were swollen (duh) and that they will be repaired for free, valued at the price of three new batteries. I can only assume they will send three new ones and not repair the old ones.

My advice to anyone with swollen batteries (especially early batteries) is to start a claim and ask to escalate it if the initial response is 'sorry they are no longer under warranty'. Tell them this is a know problem and you must acknowledge this issue under (insert country) consumer law.
Glad you got it sorted! Unfortunately, Australian consumer law does not apply to the United States, so replacement will still be completely voluntary and not compulsive in the U.S.. However, escalation is certainly worth the effort. The higher you go, the more discretion they have! Thumbswayup

For reference, I have had my M2Z about a year. I have the original battery that was made in 12/2018. I have 42 charges and an equal number of flights that averaged 20 minutes.

I usually charge the battery after it cools from flight, or about 30 minutes after flying. It has self discharged 3 times due to travel or wx related down time.

There are no signs of swelling.

Anyone ever had a new Mavic 2 battery report an Initial Capacity in Airdata of greater than 3750 mAh after the initial charge and first flight? The Mavic 2 battery is rated by DJI at 3850 mAh, but fresh out of the box, after an initial charge, all my 12 Mavic 2 batteries (Production Dates of 2018.10 to 2019.11) all showed 3706-3726 mAh and quickly declined over the first 3 flights to 3560 mAh. It appears that DJI has overstated the mAh capacity of the Mavic 2 batteries by almost 10%!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54