DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone still on their original battery?

This is the Mavic 2 Discussion thread.
Mavic Pro batteries are not relevant, and posts about them do not belong here.
On topic, please.

My oldest two batteries, each manufactured Sept of 18 I think and each with just over 100 cycles, exhibit *no swelling or negative issues EXCEPT, and this is a big one, NEITHER would allow my M2Z to fly after I updated from 1.00.0400 to 1.00.0510 firmware. That newest firmware gave warnings that each of those two batteries needed replacing and would refuse to fly or would fly for a minute and then throw some (BOGUS) warning about critical battery level and proceed to land without warning (with near 100 percent charge showing), twice almost causing my bird to crash into water. Ticked me off royally. Needless to say, I downgraded back to 1.00.0400 firmware and tested the two batteries in question thoroughly with high voltage demand flights on sport mode and automated flight modes. Both of the batteries in question passed the flight tests with flying colors (ie perfectly). Also needless to say, I won’t be upgrading back to 1.00.0510 firmware.

*Note that flight duration on each of these two older batteries is shortened by three or four minutes compared to newer batteries, but that is the only difference in performance that I can observe. Seems that DJI went overboard in their effort to combat swollen batteries in the .0510 firmware version.

Last edited:
My four batteries from July and August 2018 are doing fine. Three have about 60 cycles, I save one lesser used for missions that may take longer it only has 30 cycles.

Last edited:
My 5 from December 2017: have one with slight bulge (retired from flight) and the other 4 going strong after well over 100 charges and flight discharges each although flight time now is 22-23 min. They started with 26 min. I’m not unhappy.

My 5 from December 2017: have one with slight bulge (retired from flight) and the other 4 going strong after well over 100 charges and flight discharges each although flight time now is 22-23 min. They started with 26 min. I’m not unhappy.
How did you get a hold of an M2 in 2017? It wasn't released until August 2018.

Got 3 batteries flown a total 125 flights with my mavic2pro since January...no signs of swelling yet

Received my M2P in early Nov. 18, with fly more kit.
#1 Battery 47 charges, no swelling or other issues, flight time remains good.
#2 Battery 45 charges, very noticeable swelling, flight time remained good. (This battery is no longer used in flight as of 7 days ago)
#3 Battery 41 charges, very noticeable swelling, flight time remained good. (This battery is no longer used in flight as of 7 days ago)

More batteries were added through the year as I am now up to 8. Come spring time I will buy 4 more as I will no longer be using #'s 2 & 3. 10 flyable batteries should keep me airborne with the current charging set up I have.

I try to not fly my batteries below 30% but it does occasionally happen.

I keep all my batteries and equipment charged at 100% all the time. If something should come up that I needed the drone there would not be time to charge it up. Having to occasionally replace an aging battery is part of the cost of enjoying the hobby.

Reactions: SturdyFlamingo
Received my M2P in early Nov. 18, with fly more kit.
#1 Battery 47 charges, no swelling or other issues, flight time remains good.
#2 Battery 45 charges, very noticeable swelling, flight time remained good. (This battery is no longer used in flight as of 7 days ago)
#3 Battery 41 charges, very noticeable swelling, flight time remained good. (This battery is no longer used in flight as of 7 days ago)

More batteries were added through the year as I am now up to 8. Come spring time I will buy 4 more as I will no longer be using #'s 2 & 3. 10 flyable batteries should keep me airborne with the current charging set up I have.

I try to not fly my batteries below 30% but it does occasionally happen.

I keep all my batteries and equipment charged at 100% all the time. If something should come up that I needed the drone there would not be time to charge it up. Having to occasionally replace an aging battery is part of the cost of enjoying the hobby.
Can you provide "Production Dates" for the three batteries, as displayed in GO 4, under the Battery Details/Advanced?

If your swollen ones are original production ones, you probably with some persistence get DJI to replace them.

Ok, let me straighten out my lies.

#1 Battery has 35 charges and a mfg date of 2018.10
#2 Battery has 47 charges and a mfg date of 2018.7
#3 Battery has 40 charges and a mfg date of 2018.9
#4 Battery has 25 charges and a mfg date of 2018.11
#5 Battery has 21 charges and a mfg date of 2018.11
#6 Battery has 13 charges and a mfg date of 2019.3
#7 Battery has 9 charges and a mfg date of 2019.3
#8 Battery has 10 charges and a mfg date of 2019.3

So far the only ones having swelling problems are #'s 2 & 3

There was one of my batteries that was replaced by DJI for latching issues. I remember putting a video on here about it but I cannot remember now which one it was. I do feel like the batteries swelling with short of 50 charges on them is definitely not good but on the other hand I choose to ignore suggested guidelines about not keeping them at 100% all the time. If the issue gets bad enough I may be forced to only keep half of them topped off and the other half at 65% but that is absolutely not what I want to have to do.

If I am faced with a situation where I need to put the drone in the air I can put the 65% batteries on charge while in route to location and depending on driving distance they will get some amount of charge. Once on location, set up and flying they can continue to charge while I fly out the first half of the batteries. What adds to the cycle time is the fact that you have to cool the batteries before they will start to charge. We do this by placing them over the air conditioner vents. Adding 4 additional batteries come spring time will help to ease the issue. I can keep the two that are swelling charged up for auxiliary power for the controller, ipad, phone etc.

The goal is to be able to keep the drone airborne 100% of the time minus what time it takes to land, change the battery, and take off again. Soon we will likely add an additional drone to the stable so we can get the second one in the air before we bring the first one in.

Three batteries bought when M2 was released.. no swelling, no issues at all...

Ok, let me straighten out my lies.

#1 Battery has 35 charges and a mfg date of 2018.10
#2 Battery has 47 charges and a mfg date of 2018.7
#3 Battery has 40 charges and a mfg date of 2018.9
#4 Battery has 25 charges and a mfg date of 2018.11
#5 Battery has 21 charges and a mfg date of 2018.11
#6 Battery has 13 charges and a mfg date of 2019.3
#7 Battery has 9 charges and a mfg date of 2019.3
#8 Battery has 10 charges and a mfg date of 2019.3

So far the only ones having swelling problems are #'s 2 & 3

There was one of my batteries that was replaced by DJI for latching issues. I remember putting a video on here about it but I cannot remember now which one it was. I do feel like the batteries swelling with short of 50 charges on them is definitely not good but on the other hand I choose to ignore suggested guidelines about not keeping them at 100% all the time. If the issue gets bad enough I may be forced to only keep half of them topped off and the other half at 65% but that is absolutely not what I want to have to do.

If I am faced with a situation where I need to put the drone in the air I can put the 65% batteries on charge while in route to location and depending on driving distance they will get some amount of charge. Once on location, set up and flying they can continue to charge while I fly out the first half of the batteries. What adds to the cycle time is the fact that you have to cool the batteries before they will start to charge. We do this by placing them over the air conditioner vents. Adding 4 additional batteries come spring time will help to ease the issue. I can keep the two that are swelling charged up for auxiliary power for the controller, ipad, phone etc.

The goal is to be able to keep the drone airborne 100% of the time minus what time it takes to land, change the battery, and take off again. Soon we will likely add an additional drone to the stable so we can get the second one in the air before we bring the first one in.
Batteries #2 and #3 are the ones with the early Production Dates that have been known to swell. The later Production Dates are much more immune to swelling, and if not abused (don’t leave them in hot cars), should be fine.

"#2 Battery has 47 charges and a mfg date of 2018.7
#3 Battery has 40 charges and a mfg date of 2018.9"

Reactions: TR Ganey
Three batteries bought when M2 was released.. no swelling, no issues at all...
"Production Dates" of the three batteries, please, as displayed in GO 4, under Battery Info/Advanced when connected.

Batteries #2 and #3 are the ones with the early Production Dates that have been known to swell. The later Production Dates are much more immune to swelling, and if not abused (don’t leave them in hot cars), should be fine.

"#2 Battery has 47 charges and a mfg date of 2018.7
#3 Battery has 40 charges and a mfg date of 2018.9"
Actually it was months 7 and 8.

Actually it was months 7 and 8.
I am happy to include September 2018, too, since it is on the cusp, and the changes may have occurred early in the 2018.09 Production run, which may be why we haven't seen many others from that 2018.09 Production Date.

After losing my platinum and upgrading to M2P I was amazed by the performance increase. I used the original battery(still do) over 500 flights and 5500000' flown(÷5280 for miles) I recently bought a new battery and set my longest flight distance 10.9 miles in 3-5 mph wind. The old battery swells but the drone always returns

Ive abused the battery EVERY time I fly
After losing my platinum and upgrading to M2P I was amazed by the performance increase. I used the original battery(still do) over 500 flights and 5500000' flown(÷5280 for miles) I recently bought a new battery and set my longest flight distance 10.9 miles in 3-5 mph wind. The old battery swells but the drone always returns

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3