DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you allowed to fly in nature preserves?

Reactions
I am staying near a place called the Little Rocky Glen which is a nature preserve in PA. It is relatively empty but I can't find anything on if I am allowed to fly there or not. Here is there website if anyone could find any information that I missed.

Thanks!

Reactions: Prop Wash
It looks like Countryside Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) NPO and NGO. They don't have any say-so about overflights. So as long as you're following FAA rules and regulations, you should be able to fly over them

However...

In a situation like this, you need to ask yourself if you really should. People visiting there likely won't appreciate you flying around. And odds are, the birds and other wildlife won't either.

This is a good example of "just because we can, doesn't mean we should...".

It looks like Countryside Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) NPO and NGO. They don't have any say-so about overflights. So as long as you're following FAA rules and regulations, you should be able to fly over them

However...

In a situation like this, you need to ask yourself if you really should. People visiting there likely won't appreciate you flying around. And odds are, the birds and other wildlife won't either.

This is a good example of "just because we can, doesn't mean we should...".
Thanks for the quick reply! If I were to fly there I would go at a time when there are no people and the only things I would be interested in filming would be the rocks. Would my mavic mini be too much of a disturbance to the wildlife? I am not sure how much wildlife there is around the rapid areas and the areas with rocks. I haven't had a chance to go there myself yet.

Thanks for the quick reply! If I were to fly there I would go at a time when there are no people and the only things I would be interested in filming would be the rocks. Would my mavic mini be too much of a disturbance to the wildlife? \
That's a call you'll have to make. Just remember you have to keep the drone in sight at all times. So that will limit how far you can fly into the area from outside.
I am not sure how much wildlife there is around the rapid areas and the areas with rocks. I haven't had a chance to go there myself yet.

That's a call you'll have to make. Just remember you have to keep the drone in sight at all times. So that will limit how far you can fly into the area from outside.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I will make sure to check it out before taking off.

I'd check on Airmap, B4UFly. There may be NFZs. May not show up, but it might. Along the California coastline, there are many spots marked with NFZs due to Marine Life Sanctuaries. They don't want people disturbing sea lion, otter, or bird habitats. These NFZs go for miles of coastline. Definitely agree w/ @Vic Moss. The more you know...

I'd check on Airmap, B4UFly. There may be NFZs. May not show up, but it might. Along the California coastline, there are many spots marked with NFZs due to Marine Life Sanctuaries. They don't want people disturbing sea lion, otter, or bird habitats. These NFZs go for miles of coastline. Definitely agree w/ @Vic Moss. The more you know...
The first thing I did was check B4UFly and I didn't see any NFZs near the area. Thanks for the advice👍

You might also check to see if there are any protected wildlife in the area. We have one nearby that happens to have Bald Eagle nests. Flying around them is a no no, and it can also be dangerous for your drone. If they have eggs or eaglets, they WILL protect them. They can spot a rodent three miles away, and I personally know of drones being crushes a mile from their nest.

Reactions: 280
If that area is a state park, most likely no drones. There are a few Pa state parks that allow drone use, but only in a specific area.

A nature preserve maybe controlled by the Pa Game Commission. If it is, no drone use. I wouldnt want to argue with a Pa GC Officer either. I've seen them in action.
As a another Pa resident, I wouldnt fly there until you know who controls it and what their policy is on drone use.

If that area is a state park, most likely no drones. There are a few Pa state parks that allow drone use, but only in a specific area.

A nature preserve maybe controlled by the Pa Game Commission. If it is, no drone use. I wouldnt want to argue with a Pa GC Officer either. I've seen them in action.
As a another Pa resident, I wouldnt fly there until you know who controls it and what their policy is on drone use.
If you go to their website, you'll notice they are a private organization They have no state or federal affiliation.

I wanted to do some pro bono work for a wildlife refuge in my neighborhood. I enjoy going there and wanted to thank them. When I went to speak to the Director, she said that she would rather that I did not because there were birds that used the refuge as a migration stop, and did not want to disturb them.
After some discussion, we were able to come up with a date and time that was workable. I then created a panoramic print for them, which I donated to the refuge. They do meaningful work.Hoffler Creek Pan1.jpg

I don't know about PA but all the nature preserves and state parks are no fly zones in NJ. I vaguely recall hearing the same for a few other states. It sucks but it is what it is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos