DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are You Putting Off Buying A Drone Til The DJI v Congress Issues Are Settled?

Fat Pappy

Reactions
Are you currently in the market for a new drone but are putting off buying til the current proposed legislations related to DJI drones resolve themselves one way or the other?

I am in wait & see mode. If they ground my Air 2, so be it, but I’m not going to buy a new drone right now…

Are you currently in the market for a new drone but are putting off buying til the current proposed legislations related to DJI drones resolve themselves one way or the other?

I am in wait & see mode. If they ground my Air 2, so be it, but I’m not going to buy a new drone right now…
That is part of the reason I am waiting. Also waiting for the Air 4.

I am in wait & see mode. If they ground my Air 2, so be it, but I’m not going to buy a new drone right now
Or should the waiters and see-ers be quickly buying them up instead? While Congress can certainly do/change anything, it appears their current direction is only to try ban future sales from Chinese companies.

Source:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And if you're in the camp that doesn't want DJI to be banned, you should go here and send an email to your local lawmakers. They aren't going to be scouring the Internet forums to gauge the voice of the people, so consider making your voice heard today.

Or should the waiters and see-ers be quickly buying them up instead? While Congress can certainly do/change anything, it appears their current direction is only to try ban future sales from Chinese companies.

Source:
This is what I was thinking. I feel like whatever happens - it will impact future drone development. Whether its a total ban of future sales until they meet some future requirements or whatever.

Pretty sure you will be various answers to this question across the board from those in complete denial that a ban could ever happen so buy whatever you want....to buy now before a potential ban so you can grandfather in....to wait and see what happens with this first round of legislation but make plans from there going forward. I fall into the latter category since we could have better visibility on a potential outcome shortly. But only if your risk is substantial meaning I wouldn't worry if you only plan to buy a single hobby drone for example.

No one knows what will happen and anyone can voice their opinion, but unless you are personally taking on the risk (meaning your money is on the line), it honestly doesn't count for much. Too many people will say go ahead, live for now, have fun with it but if it were their money, their opinion might change a bit (even though they won't admit to this). If you are upgrading a fleet or planning to start a business, it only makes sense to do the analysis. Government regulations have always impacted small and large business decisions and drones are no different. Again it's all about risk so if a new DJI drone is launched tomorrow for $3k and it would be a good time technology-wise to upgrade your aging fleet, you should think twice before buying 20 new drones for your company. However, if the market causes these drones to go for only $1k, that's a different decision.

Ask anyone with an Autel drone what it feels like to buy an impressive drone while the Company is fully operational compared to what it feels like when the situation has changed and you are adversely affected. Think about what it would feel like to own an expensive DJI drone after they are raked over the coals. No more MRs? No new compatibility? Discontinued or change in Care Refresh? Diminished post launch support? Ask Skydio owners what it feels like to fly fairly new equipment some of the best tech available but your maker is defunct and has absconded. We don't know what will happen. It's your risk to take. In this situation which I have fully anticipated we would face harsh legal scrutiny for years to come, I am completely risk tolerant so absolutely nothing has changed for me.

Last edited:

Source:

And if you're in the camp that doesn't want DJI to be banned, you should go here and send an email to your local lawmakers. They aren't going to be scouring the Internet forums to gauge the voice of the people, so consider making your voice heard today.
I have already sent e-mails to my rep and senators on the pending bills. Thanks for posting the links however.

Reactions: msinger
Pretty sure you will be various answers to this question across the board from those in complete denial that a ban could ever happen so buy whatever you want....to buy now before a potential ban so you can grandfather in....to wait and see what happens with this first round of legislation but make plans from there going forward. I fall into the latter category since we could have better visibility on a potential outcome shortly. But only if your risk is substantial meaning I wouldn't worry if you only plan to buy a single hobby drone for example.

No one knows what will happen and anyone can voice their opinion, but unless you are personally taking on the risk (meaning your money is on the line), it honestly doesn't count for much. Too many people will say go ahead, live for now, have fun with it but if it were their money, their opinion might change a bit (even though they won't admit to this). If you are upgrading a fleet or planning to start a business, it only makes sense to do the analysis. Government regulations have always impacted small and large business decisions and drones are no different. Again it's all about risk so if a new DJI drone is launched tomorrow for $3k and it would be a good time technology-wise to upgrade your aging fleet, you should think twice before buying 20 new drones for your company. However, if the market causes these drones to go for only $1k, that's a different decision.

Ask anyone with an Autel drone what it feels like to buy an impressive drone while the Company is fully operational compared to what it feels like when the situation has changed and you are adversely affected. Think about what it would feel like to own an expensive DJI drone after they are raked over the coals. No more MRs? No new compatibility? Discontinued or change in Care Refresh? Diminished post launch support? Ask Skydio owners what it feels like to fly fairly new equipment some of the best tech available but your maker is defunct and has absconded. We don't know what will happen. It's your risk to take. In this situation which I have fully anticipated we would face harsh legal scrutiny for years to come, I am completely risk tolerant so absolutely nothing has changed for me.
I haven't paid attention to Autel. Curious...what are you referring to?

I'm wondering....if the bill does pass in a version that allows 'grandfathering' in drones purchased before a certain date....and that date is like 2 or 3 or 4 weeks after passage...

would you consider buying a drone to get it covered under the grandfather provision? I have a Mavic 3 already. But it might be tempting to buy a Mavic 3 Pro. That would be a considerable investment though. I just wish DJI didn't force the DJI RC down out throats

Don't wait.

If they Senate adds the Countering CCP Drone Act language to their version of the National Defense Authorization Act, at worst, the FCC will no longer approve any FCC licenses for DJI gear. While there is nothing that prevents the FCC from revoking current DJI FCC licenses, it's highly unlikely.

Reactions: msinger and Torque
I fly for fun, relaxation, and improving my skills. I take a picture or video once and awhile. Yes, I’ve got some money invested in my drones, but, it’s not my life and I’m not too concerned about any of it. If it all happens, it happens, but I’m not putting my life on hold because of this. Just my opinion.

It seems the important thing is drone files going to china, well china’s military in particular. If the usa wants to end this, then all drone users should be able to opt out of sending files to dji to legitimize their operation here in the usa. Over 250g drones would send to a usa based computer system, i guess faa. Or maybe i’m too new to understand.

It seems the important thing is drone files going to china, well china’s military in particular. If the usa wants to end this, then all drone users should be able to opt out of sending files to dji to legitimize their operation here in the usa. Over 250g drones would send to a usa based computer system, i guess faa. Or maybe i’m too new to understand.

That hasn't been an issue at all.

@Vic Moss it appears DJI caught wind of a possible reason for this ban:

Reactions: Torque
I wrote both of my US Representatives (Idaho) and got one response that the most concerning thing is that DJI - and therefore the China Government - has access to FCC airwaves and that the drone data is not the real concern...

I wrote both of my US Representatives (Idaho) and got one response that the most concerning thing is that DJI - and therefore the China Government - has access to FCC airwaves and that the drone data is not the real concern...
does that make any sense at all?

I mean, are Mavic & Mini drones the only way China can "access" FCC airwaves?

It goes to show the paranoia of our Gov't and their misunderstanding of the technology

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916