DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ascending/descending while yawing / Weird compass 2 values

sirrraj

Reactions
I received my new Mavic yesterday. After updating the fw, went out today to do a test flight. Everything is OK but I noticed something strange: when I yaw the craft to the left, it descends about 1 foot, when yaw to the right, it ascends 1 foot (or vica versa, I can't recall it). Also when yawing some full 360s, it goes up and down a bit (1-2 feet). Is this normal behaviour? I did not calibrate anything yet, but checked the sticks on the calibration screen and it's absolutely fine. My Expos are 0.20/0.20/0.20 and stick filters set to 70/70/70. Didn't touch gains. Lightning conditions were poor (right after sunset), VPS on, 15-20 feet AGL. My previous Mavic (went back for serious focus issues) didn't do this with the same settings, same conditions (apart from much better lightning), at least as I remember.

Also my Compass 2 showed some yellow values (well over 200) when I checked them in the app (while motors off, craft in hand, turning & pitching - with unfolded arms/legs, of course). Should I be worried about this? Doing a compass cal should solve this I assume?

Thanks for all your input.

Reactions: Joetso
So you didn't calibrate the sticks? I would. Sounds like your getting ascent and descent inputs with your yaw.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Is it possible you are inputting a little elevator stick while yawing? Check your flight log and turn on your controller stick display to see.

If your stick values are all zero at rest, nothing more can be done.

Is it possible you are inputting a little elevator stick while yawing? Check your flight log and turn on your controller stick display to see.

If your stick values are all zero at rest, nothing more can be done.

Thanks. Absolutely no throttle input, the log also shows this clearly.

So you didn't calibrate the sticks? I would. Sounds like your getting ascent and descent inputs with your yaw.

Thank you. I will calibrate the sticks. However they looked 100% OK when I checked them on the calibration screen. All zero at center and 100% on each ends on both sticks.

Seen that on phantoms (groups). Was it sunny ?

I think I recall it had something to do with the internal altimeter.

Oh. Wait. That was on the Bebop. But it was the altimeter.

I just wanted to let you know that Mavic's ascending/descending while yawing issue is solved. Thank you guys for all your help, much appreciated! I did the following (don't know what solved the issue but I'm quite sure it was the compass):

1. Calibrated sticks (although I was quite sure there is no problem, checked the stick cal screen's data and log file to be sure there was no throttle input at all while yawing)
2. Restored my Expo/Stick filtering settings to default
3. Did a nice and clean compass calibration with no metal objects in place or on body (I even put my belt and wedding ring away)

Today I did a test flight in very bright, sunny weather with VPS on and now Mavic is rock solid even when yawing full speed in Sport mode.

Thanks again for all your input guys.

Awesome little craft!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky