DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

At my wit's end... what am I missing (problem with M2P)

floyd

Reactions
Here's what I have:
• Mavic II Pro with the latest firmware
• iPad mini
• Standard DJI controller
• No modifications
• No aftermarket products (other than iPad mini)

Here are the symptoms of either many problems or a single problem:
• Unable to start props by moving controller levers down and in. (Props do start and it will hover if I press "take off" button)
• Once flying after using "take off" feature, Mavic slowly drifts forward.
• All controls work EXCEPT forward and backward.

Here's what I've tried so far:
• Calibrate controller (I was able to calibrate once and then the Mavic worked as it should, but then next flight back to same problems and controller calibration failed)
• Reinstalled firmware
• Calibrated obstacle avoidance sensors
• Deleted and reinstalled DJI Go app
• Calibrated gimbal (or whatever it's called when the drone is placed on its back, left/right side, and standing straight up)

After reinstalling the firmware then doing another controller calibration, the drone worked like new. But after landing, shutting down, then trying to fly again all the issues returned.

Am I missing something?
Is the problem with the controller?
Is the problem with the drone?
Is the problem with both?

Forgot to mention:
There was no crash, hard landing or any physical abuse previous to all these issues.

I hate to send it to DJI because it will take months to get back and will probably cost more than buying a new drone.

Please! Any ideas, solutions, advice is greatly appreciated.

Well it depends on how old it is I know I sent my son's sparks remote back because it didn't hold charge after only 3 flights warranty cover bought the white DJI for goggles 1 month old same prob did a firmware update battery died 5 mins into flight contact DJI sent me a paid mail sticker had to print it out mailed it in 2 weeks fixed both so it really don't take forever on everything but it could have been because of the age to

Here's what I have:
• Mavic II Pro with the latest firmware
• iPad mini
• Standard DJI controller
• No modifications
• No aftermarket products (other than iPad mini)

Here are the symptoms of either many problems or a single problem:
• Unable to start props by moving controller levers down and in. (Props do start and it will hover if I press "take off" button)
• Once flying after using "take off" feature, Mavic slowly drifts forward.
• All controls work EXCEPT forward and backward.

Here's what I've tried so far:
• Calibrate controller (I was able to calibrate once and then the Mavic worked as it should, but then next flight back to same problems and controller calibration failed)
• Reinstalled firmware
• Calibrated obstacle avoidance sensors
• Deleted and reinstalled DJI Go app
• Calibrated gimbal (or whatever it's called when the drone is placed on its back, left/right side, and standing straight up)

After reinstalling the firmware then doing another controller calibration, the drone worked like new. But after landing, shutting down, then trying to fly again all the issues returned.

Am I missing something?
Is the problem with the controller?
Is the problem with the drone?
Is the problem with both?

Forgot to mention:
There was no crash, hard landing or any physical abuse previous to all these issues.

I hate to send it to DJI because it will take months to get back and will probably cost more than buying a new drone.

Please! Any ideas, solutions, advice is greatly appreciated.

Just want to clarify that you stated that ( once you calibrated the mavic worked as it should, meaning it fixed the forward and backward problem, yes ?

With that said you mentioned that the you put the drone on its back when calibrating , which means you might be doing it wrong , You mention 3 steps but there are only 2 steps to the calibration for take off.

Just want to Clarify that .

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

Hi, Phantomrain.org...
Thanks for asking. Yes, after all the calibration the Mavic worked perfectly. Then I landed, shut everything down, restarted and the problem returned. I'm pretty sure I followed the each of the various calibration methods correctly. I may have skipped a couple of steps out of brevity.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm not sure on the other questions but on mine I have to do down and out to get it to start.
Have you tried controlling the drone without a smart phone/pad, using only the remote?

Reactions: Endeavor
When u put the drone on the ground etc on a few sides that is an imu calibration - the compass calibration is all done with it in your hands - imu and compass calibration on same pages in go4 app - if u just want to do a compass calibration toggle the sport mode button

I'm not sure on the other questions but on mine I have to do down and out to get it to start.
Have you tried controlling the drone without a smart phone/pad, using only the remote?
I tried down and out too. Still nothing. I did not try flying without the iPad. Never tried it.

Question when did this start and how long has it been doing this did its. Start after update firmware

so, what to try if your pots on the remote are shot... it is what may be happening, as during calibration you push em hard, so they give value 255 in edge position, but in pre-flight they only reach 253 or 252 and arming does not happen.
do a new calibration, and during that calibration do not move sticks all the way into the lower inner corner, leave a tiny bit of space left. that will give you some space for an error during the initial flight. try it.

i think you need to take controller apart and check the screws that hold those pots, they probably developed a bit of a play and it messes you up. on a proper radio you would see readouts of your pots on the screen, on dji it is of course not so easy, so, do the calibration trick first.

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help me regain my sanity!

But I have an update:

I had some time on my hands today and thought I would wrestle once again with my M2P and its host of issues. So I got everything together, went out to driveway, plopped down my Mavic and proceeded to get the iPad and remote controller attached/hooked up. Sure enough, as soon as I turned the controller off it started squawking the "calibrate the sticks" alarm. I thought, "D4mn (really? Can't write it out properly) it! Here we go again." So I went through the whole routine of calibrating the sticks, pressed finish and turned on the Mavic. Past flights I wasn't able to take off using the sticks down and in method, but today it worked! Yes! So far so good! I took off and hovered about ten feet off the ground, and the Mavic stuck perfectly still! Yes! Another problem seemingly fixed. In the past it would slightly drift forward. Then I lifted to about 200 feet and tried the forward/backward controls. Again! Success! Wow! But I'm holding back any jumps for joy because it has worked just fine like this yesterday, only to have ALL the problems return after shutting down then restarting.

So I landed, turned everything off, whispered a prayer to the drone gods, then powered everything up.

And...

It all worked perfectly fine! I repeated the shutdown, power-up process a few times. Each time she flew like she was brand new! I went through a few automated maneuvers... NO PROBLEMS!

I have no idea why it worked today. I did nothing today that I didn't try yesterday. But I'm not going to complain! I gave the Mavic a big sloppy kiss (not going to tell you where), packed her up, and proceeded to pour myself a glass of wine in celebration. Now... if the next time I fo flying and all the problems return, my drone days are DONE! :)

You mentioned you never crashed it or had any hard landings. Don't worry about that. It wasn't until about my fifth major crash until the thing hit its stride. (after I fixed the gimble with my fingers) (and replaced the props again)

Reactions: floyd
The Mavic doesn't use the toilet so kiss it where ever you want.
OK, the belly does tend to touch grass and who knows what's been done to that grass.

I suspected RC control calibration issues. A few have reported having to do it a few times before it stuck.
When calibrating the RC, don't forget the gimbal tilt and zoom wheels.

Wait, you have a Pro. I think that wheel is aperture

Unfortunately my Mavic is out of warranty.
How is that even possible? It hasn't even been 12 months since release!
Did you somehow buy it before day one?

"At the end of August, the “See The Bigger Picture” event both revealed and launched the Mavic Pro 2, which was originally scheduled to take place on July 18th."

Reactions: TampaTC
How is that even possible? It hasn't even been 12 months since release!
Did you somehow buy it before day one?

"At the end of August, the “See The Bigger Picture” event both revealed and launched the Mavic Pro 2, which was originally scheduled to take place on July 18th."
Hmm... maybe it is in warranty. I'll have to check!

Well...

Good thing you commented on my claim the Mavic is out of warranty. IT'S NOT! I bought it on August 29, 2018. I've got a couple weeks left.

So, the drone appears to be back to working normally, BUT should I contact DJI, explain what happened, and send it send it in for a warranty repair just in case the issue is intermittent?

Well...

Good thing you commented on my claim the Mavic is out of warranty. IT'S NOT! I bought it on August 29, 2018. I've got a couple weeks left.

So, the drone appears to be back to working normally, BUT should I contact DJI, explain what happened, and send it send it in for a warranty repair just in case the issue is intermittent?
Now, on their dime, or on your own dime later! Certainly worth an inquiry and setting up a case. I believe you have up to 30 days to send it in before the ticket gets cancelled.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25