DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

attn goggle owners!!!

genesimmons

Reactions
hi all, i am a very new piolot and have only flown 3 times, i struggled all 3 times with seeing the screen on the phone in the bright sun, i have tried 3 different phones my sony is best but still not great, i am intested in the goggles to be able to see better and for the very cool factor they provide, would u goggle owners reccocmnd them for such a new piplot such as myself, i also wear glasses and my vission is different in each eye, thanx for any advice, also i see many posts regarding 100 off, does this apply to canadian buyers as well, thanx

I am also in that situation. Having DJI's goggles RE edition and normally using bifocal glasses i have to use the additional corrective lenses supplied from DJI (additional cost).
The setup is not perfect but it works.

To fly in a bright sunlight environment i recommend the Crystal Sky (CS) monitor.
Either the 5.5" or the 7.85" version.
You will be surprised on how bright the screen is! And .. you can use your normal glasses. :)
For me, the CS is perfect.

Have a look on DJI website: CrystalSky

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
thanx for the reply, wow ohh wow those are expensive, i thought the goggles were pricey haha, i like the idea of the goggles and no outside light coming in, i think they are overkill for me but looking for advice from owners

Reactions: chazzm
Just so you know, if you are in the US and using goggles, the law requires that you have a spotter.

Here are some of the goggles/glasses most commonly used by Mavic owners:

i see many posts regarding 100 off, does this apply to canadian buyers as well
Those $100 off coupons are only good for the original DJI Goggles. And they can only be used if DJI sent you a coupon via email.

Last edited:
if you are in the US and using goggles, the law requires that you have a spotter.
It looks like the OP is flying in Canada. However, if he wants to fly in the US, he'll of course need to follow the same rules as other hobbyists in the US.

Per the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the aircraft must be flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft. That means (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model. If interested, you can find more details here.

The only way to legally fly with a spotter is if you have a Section 333 Exemption, a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA), are flying commercially under FAA Part 107, or you're flying indoors (which is not regulated by the FAA).

Last edited:
Regardless, I own the RE edition DJI goggles and I can honestly say that they blow my Fat Shark Dominator V3 Goggles away!!! Sharp crystal clear view! I’ve even been super impressed using analog signals as well!

I got a pair for Christmas from my wife and daughters. I think I'm going to like them but they are taking some getting used to. That hasn't quite happened yet as flying time here in WI this winter has been limited.

1st off, I wear bifocals so I ordered a pair of prescription reading glasses (really inexpensive from an on-line glasses site) in order to be able to focus on the display.. Wearing bifocals, off the rack "cheaters," or going without glasses entirely wasn't going to work at all. The display is now clear but I'm still having a little difficulty getting the PD adjusted just quite right. I can go from stop to stop without finding a spot that feels really comfortable. Seems like wherever I position the lenses, I feel varying degrees of "cross eyedness" (is that even a word???) I think I'll get used to the best position but it just isn't quite right for me.

Also, I have to use another poster's hint to wear a baseball cap on backwards. I could not fit the goggles securely enough to my head to allow me to use one hand to flip them or to look down. Using the backwards baseball cap completely resolved that issue.

Where I really think they'll be fun is in letting a companion wear them and enjoy drone flying while you are enjoying the actual piloting. It'll be like the different feeling one gets when flying an aircraft solo vs the feeling you get when taking along a non-pilot passenger for a ride. The goggles will be a good way to wow people and share the enjoyment of drone flying. Who knows, maybe using them that way will be useful in helping justifying to Someone (capital "S") the costs of our hobby! Also, wanting to share the goggles with others might be a good reason not to invest in lens inserts.

I got a pair for Christmas from my wife and daughters. I think I'm going to like them but they are taking some getting used to. That hasn't quite happened yet as flying time here in WI this winter has been limited.

1st off, I wear bifocals so I ordered a pair of prescription reading glasses (really inexpensive from an on-line glasses site) in order to be able to focus on the display.. Wearing bifocals, off the rack "cheaters," or going without glasses entirely wasn't going to work at all. The display is now clear but I'm still having a little difficulty getting the PD adjusted just quite right. I can go from stop to stop without finding a spot that feels really comfortable. Seems like wherever I position the lenses, I feel varying degrees of "cross eyedness" (is that even a word???) I think I'll get used to the best position but it just isn't quite right for me.

Also, I have to use another poster's hint to wear a baseball cap on backwards. I could not fit the goggles securely enough to my head to allow me to use one hand to flip them or to look down. Using the backwards baseball cap completely resolved that issue.

Where I really think they'll be fun is in letting a companion wear them and enjoy drone flying while you are enjoying the actual piloting. It'll be like the different feeling one gets when flying an aircraft solo vs the feeling you get when taking along a non-pilot passenger for a ride. The goggles will be a good way to wow people and share the enjoyment of drone flying. Who knows, maybe using them that way will be useful in helping justifying to Someone (capital "S") the costs of our hobby! Also, wanting to share the goggles with others might be a good reason not to invest in lens inserts.
Wise man. As the old saying goes, "If Someone isn'y happy, nobody's happy."

awsome thank u owners for the great replies, i sent dji a email regarding the 100 coupon, if they give me one ill pull the trigger, i dont think canada has the spotter rule for goggles, not yet anyways haha

Hi Gene,

I own the RE edition goggles and have used them quite a bit. Basically I like them. I have given rides to several people and their vision situations were all different. Some wore their glasses successfully others had better vision without their glasses while a couple of people probably needed the optional (Fixer Lens) because nothing worked. If you are 20 years old with perfect vision they probably work great right out of the box. Anyone else will probably have to adapt a little bit to what works for them.

Personally, I wear bifocal glasses. (different correction in each eye) I CAN see well enough with my glasses to fly with the goggles but it isn't quite as crisp as I would like. The solution for me was easy. I simply use the goggles without my glasses. I keep my glasses in my shirt pocket. The goggles simply tilt up so it is real easy to slip my glasses on if I need them. That just happened to work for me. It might not for you? I think you will figure out something however.

Just one tip. Don't use the headtracking feature of the Goggles for awhile. Get used to the goggles without that feature being turned on. It will only confuse you. Once you are fully comfortable with the goggles work into the headtracking. It is really neat once you get the feel for it.

Best of luck!

Hi Gene,

I own the RE edition goggles and have used them quite a bit. Basically I like them. I have given rides to several people and their vision situations were all different. Some wore their glasses successfully others had better vision without their glasses while a couple of people probably needed the optional (Fixer Lens) because nothing worked. If you are 20 years old with perfect vision they probably work great right out of the box. Anyone else will probably have to adapt a little bit to what works for them.

Personally, I wear bifocal glasses. (different correction in each eye) I CAN see well enough with my glasses to fly with the goggles but it isn't quite as crisp as I would like. The solution for me was easy. I simply use the goggles without my glasses. I keep my glasses in my shirt pocket. The goggles simply tilt up so it is real easy to slip my glasses on if I need them. That just happened to work for me. It might not for you? I think you will figure out something however.

Just one tip. Don't use the headtracking feature of the Goggles for awhile. Get used to the goggles without that feature being turned on. It will only confuse you. Once you are fully comfortable with the goggles work into the headtracking. It is really neat once you get the feel for it.

Best of luck!
thanx so much for the great write up, i dont wear bifocals,,,yet haha, but my prescription is pretty strong,not sure i could fly without them, quick question, are the goggles wireless to the rc? or do u use a long cord.

I’ll toss in another vote for CrystalSky. The 7.8” comes with two batts and they can be “hot swapped”, can be viewed in brightest of light and you still will have Visual Line of Sight.

i have the regular DJI Goggles and bought focus fixers for them. reading glass lenses that come preassembled with a 3D printed frame that clips right to the viewfinders. i bought the goggles for fun, but i also have a ipad air with a sun visor thing that helps a ton.
i didn't get the RE goggles because i only film and have zero interest in racing drones.
get 'em - they're fun!

thanx for the reply, wow ohh wow those are expensive, i thought the goggles were pricey haha, i like the idea of the goggles and no outside light coming in, i think they are overkill for me but looking for advice from owners

I have the RE DJI Goggles and fat shark Dominator v3 goggles also, the RE goggles are incredible! I’d highly recommend them, they blew my FS goggles away on clarity! Even with wearing bifocals!

It looks like the OP is flying in Canada. However, if he wants to fly in the US, he'll of course need to follow the same rules as other hobbyists in the US.

Per the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the aircraft must be flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft. That means (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model. If interested, you can find more details here.

The only way to legally fly with a spotter is if you have a Section 333 Exemption, a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA), are flying commercially under FAA Part 107, or you're flying indoors (which is not regulated by the FAA).
I think you can fly with a spotter if you are a member of AMA and you are following their rules. FAA, think has an exemption for a community based organization. I can't get you a source as I am on the road. Maybe someone here could provide a link. I will when I get home.

I think you can fly with a spotter if you are a member of AMA and you are following their rules. FAA, think has an exemption for a community based organization. I can't get you a source as I am on the road. Maybe someone here could provide a link. I will when I get home.
I'm guessing you're referring to AMA Document #550? It states the following:

"AMA pilots, when flying sUAS either manually or utilizing FPV, stabilization, or autopilot systems for automated flight, must at all times maintain the sUAS within VLOS."

"All FPV flights require an AMA FPV pilot to have an AMA FPV spotter next to him or her maintaining VLOS with the FPV sUAS throughout its flight."

And, then on the next page:

"AMA members must be aware of and observe any laws regulating the ownership and operation of sUAS"

So, the document seems to contradict itself. On one hand, it's advising AMA members to use a spotter. And, then later in the document, it's recommending AMA members follow US law (which requires the pilot to maintain VLOS).

LOL, it's a mess. I vaguely remember something on the FAA side regarding a following community based organization rules.
Probably it is just wishfull thinking on my part. I am going go with what you're saying due to your extensive experience in all things related to RC and quadcopters. Great respect to you, Sir

Hopefully, FAA will clarify that soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi