DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autel Evo 2 and Mavic 2 Pro Comparison

Not much of a test but FlyPath has an OA and tracking test of the EVO II here

At 7:06, 8:38, and a few more times after that a "Warn" message appears on the screen in Chinese characters. App still in beta?

Wow! That is some seriously impressive obstacle avoidance, clearly that is better then DJI's avoidance system. Going around that chain link fence is not something I would do with my M2P.
And yes the warning message in Chinese is because it's in beta mode with a handful of testers.

Wow! That is some seriously impressive obstacle avoidance, clearly that is better then DJI's avoidance system. Going around that chain link fence is not something I would do with my M2P.
And yes the warning message in Chinese is because it's in beta mode with a handful of testers.
Sure you could. Just get more practice before trying.

It did really well and I too am impressed. But can it detect a single wire? Or a small sticky branch? I would have liked to see a test of that.

They are not still fixing huge bugs. The Evo is solid and stable. It is only slightly less powerful than occusync 2. The drone is an excellent machine. It's video IS on par with the M2P and zoom. Actually, the video from the Evo is slightly better than that produced by the M2P. All the stuff you are saying about the Evo is untrue.

I agree with you. I had an Evo and was quite pleased with it. Not sure why people choose to talk smack about the Evo, but I had no complaints. So long as you are fully aware of what you are purchasing and it's real world capabilities, there should be no complaints. The range of the Evo was never an issue for me. That bird will fly miles. I still feel the video quality of my Evo was better than my M2P, except for low light situations. It certainly came home with precision every time, never had a fly away, never experienced much latency at great distances, definitely enjoyed no geo-fencing, liked the ability to download maps so I could fly when I had no internet on my phone, etc. Autel customer service is FAR better than DJI's IMO. Try getting DJI to replace your M2P that flew off, and let me know how you make out. Some of my dislikes were no true tracking of anything that did not have the GPS remote, it's inability to read terrain elevations and adjust in flight, it's lack of 360 obstacle avoidance, and last but not least, the weak aftermarket following from 3rd party companies. But I pretty much knew all of this stuff before I bought my Evo. There are virtually no companies that make cool aftermarket parts for the EVO to help better it's use, and that bugged me more than the previously stated dislikes. But for a $1000 you would be hard pressed to get a better flying camera platform. I passed my Evo on to my son and I moved on to the M2P. Next on my list is an Enterprise Dual.

I would love to be wrong, but my experience in dealing with them over the EVO is that they are completely clueless, badly mismanaged, and underfunded, and use their lack of resources as an unapologetic excuse for everything they do wrong!

The best thing about them is their hype may get DJI to give us a longer battery life! [emoji6]
Then, I won't care whether Autel ever does or not!
If they handle the drone repairs like they handle their scan tool repairs i would avoid them like the plague. Minimum 2 month repair times and regulary returned with the same fault.

FlyPath has another good video comparing footage from the EVO II, the M2P, and the M2Z - all shot on auto.

And here is another dynamic track test of the EVO II; very impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Until Joeseph Consumer gets his hands on the drone and tests it for real, we will never know. I'm guessing MID-SUMMER.

Just saw this Video, decided to Share:
Watched this last night, and came away MORE impressed by the MP2 1 inch sensor version than the EVO II. Even the Zoom version looked a little better. Was a little disappointed in the EVO II.

Stand corrected, this isn't the video I was talking about, it was this one.

It all depends how soon it is released. I'm getting itchy fingers to buy a new drone. I've had the mini since release and it's got me desperate for a proper drone. Maybe the Mavic 2 Pro will drop in price? Maybe DJI will release something else. Either way I hope they get things sorted as this looks to be epic.
I'm reading all the comments in this thread thinking the EVO 2 sounds good. I know I like Mavic. I'm in the Mavic forum because I like conversations about the Mavic. I don't need to love one and hate the other. When the EVO 2 start selling then we'll learn more, just like we have with MM.
I can guess that some of the long-time pilots have more than one type of bird.

So they've only released it to some Youtube influencers?

Yep

I'm reading all the comments in this thread thinking the EVO 2 sounds good. I know I like Mavic. I'm in the Mavic forum because I like conversations about the Mavic. I don't need to love one and hate the other. When the EVO 2 start selling then we'll learn more, just like we have with MM.
I can guess that some of the long-time pilots have more than one type of bird.

I agree. If it works good, I like it. I have an Autel, a Phantom, a Mavic, a Hubson and an Eachine.

Tom's Tech Time has sample DNGs from the EVO II for download (link below). I would really like to hear from people with an M2P on how these hold up against the ones from the later.

Tried to download and 1/2 of them just point back to the main Autel website, at least from my browser.

The 48Mp chip, 1/2 Inch, with a fixed aperture of 1.8, will have some issues IMO. Very Very dense chip, for pixels, thus noise/DR will possibly be an issue. More important for video, the 1.8 fixed aperture points to strong ND filters for all use, and possibly for a lot of standard photo use.

I am more interested to see what they do with the 1" chip, as that chip in the right camera (Sony RX100 series) can do very good work up to ISO800, however DJI's implementation more oriented to video, leaves a lot on the table in regards to DR. Forcing 5 shot brackets since DJI will not allow a 1 stop full bracket instead 0.7, which I don't believe is a limitation of the chip, but I would need to see what Sony allows with the RX100 cameras. Bracketing should have nothing to do with the chip, just what your firmware tells the chip to record. Also the M2 Pro has pretty limited camera (take the Hasselblad name for only that), they did not contribute anything special to the camera (if they did they should be ashamed). DJI camera is limited by distortion towards the edges and really no matter what aperture is selected, you tend to see softness towards the edges. It's variable by drone as I have used 3 different M2 Pro's and all three had different sweet spots for best focus.

Hopefully Autel uses a better lens/processor on the 1" chip.

However most Drone companies are totally obsessed with Video, and consideration for still photography seems to take a distant 2nd row seat.

Paul C

I downloaded three of them (one seems to be an AEB set Inna zip), it is only the first link that points back to the main Autel site. But I don't have my editing laptop with me at the moment so I can't do anything with the files. Will run them through LR tomorrow and see if this thing has real promise for photography.

Curious if LR/ACR will open them as not sure if last update included them. Might be there.

C1 should open them as native DNG but will need a lot of help.

Paul C

So I opened the AEB set and merged the 5 exposures into a single HDR image in PhotoShop (took an awefully long time for PS to do this). Unfortunately, the scene Tom captured is a black and white landscape, looks like some where in Antarctica. The scene is so dull, all it has is a lot of white, some gray, and a little black :(. The image does appear to be sharp though but it is really hard for me to judge the capabilities of the EVO II's camera from these images. But what do I know about photography, I am only learning. Perhaps such a grey picture taken in low light is better to judge the performance of the camera? I don't know! If any of you pros in this forum can form an opinion from these samples, I would love to hear your take. I was so looking forward to seeing a sample still from the EVO II and I am left thoroughly disappointed with these.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian