DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autel Evo 2 and Mavic 2 Pro Comparison

That's a pretty impressive beast. I hope it doesn't take another year to see it on the store shelves. With no geo-fencing, it will make quite a game-changer.

Reactions: strdr and Shon
I'm curious why their upgraded camera with the 1 inch sensor will only shoot in 6K, but the camera that shoots in 8K has a half inch sensor?

Reactions: xspwhite
I'm curious why their upgraded camera with the 1 inch sensor will only shoot in 6K, but the camera that shoots in 8K has a half inch sensor?

Larger sensors aren't always better with video where they can suffer more from overheating and pixel readout issues, also smaller sensors usually get more advanced tech first since they're easier to manufacture. For example, Sony release the first widely available BSI (BackSide Illuminated) sensor for a mobile phone in 2009, Samsung were first with a BSI APS-C sensor five years later in 2014 then in 2015 Sony released a full frame BSI sensor.

I don't know specifically the reasons why in this case but would assume it's something along those lines.

Holy cow is the right word! This might blow the M2P right out of the water.

Edit: Tom's Tech Time has a better review here

This thing has a takeoff weight of slightly more than 1kg
We will have to see how it performs, but if past experience with the Evo gives us any hints as to how the Evo 2 will perform, we may be looking at a new heavy weight champion.
At least until DJI drops the Mavic 3 out of nowhere in the next few months!

We will have to see how it performs, but if past experience with the Evo gives us any hints as to how the Evo 2 will perform, we may be looking at a new heavy weight champion.
At least until DJI drops the Mavic 3 out of nowhere in the next few months!
It really looks promising. It is bulky for sure compared to the M2P but it packs a lot in. But there are also a few design choices that could have been improved as mentioned by the review I linked above (the 1/2" sensor option makes little sense - despite the massive megapixels; dual IMUs but a single compass - why?; and the voice feed back is horrible - is it really expensive to hire proper voice actors to read a few lines?). But I am really liking this, might be my next drone. I am outgrowing the capabilities of my MA and I am due for an upgrade soon; and between this and what ever DJI might throw in to the mix to counter it, I will be spoiled for choice. I am sitting here rubbing my palms and grinning like a fool. It is going to be an excellent year for droning!

Reactions: Shon
It really looks promising. It is bulky for sure compared to the M2P but it packs a lot in. But there are also a few design choices that could have been improved as mentioned by the review I linked above (the 1/2" sensor option makes little sense - despite the massive megapixels; dual IMUs but a single compass - why?; and the voice feed back is horrible - is it really expensive to hire proper voice actors to read a few lines?). But I am really liking this, might be my next drone. I am outgrowing the capabilities of my MA and I am due for an upgrade soon; and between this and what ever DJI might throw in to the mix to counter it, I will be spoiled for choice. I am sitting here rubbing my palms and grinning like a fool. It is going to be an excellent year for droning!
I think the Aperture Fstop goes all the way to like .8 so it will allow more light in. The .5”

I think the Aperture Fstop goes all the way to like .8 so it will allow more light in. The .5”
Yes that is indeed correct; but I was under the impression that this feature is available in the EVO II PRO only. This is from their site, no mention of an adjustable aperture in the specs for the base model with the 1/2" sensor.

lighter

Current SD cards are one big holdback. If you used the 1 inch sensor and 8k the files would be massive and couldn't write the info fast enough. If you look at a Red camera on the high end drones they use a proprietary SD card that costs over $500 so for now it's not going to happen.

Current SD cards are one big holdback. If you used the 1 inch sensor and 8k the files would be massive and couldn't write the info fast enough. If you look at a Red camera on the high end drones they use a proprietary SD card that costs over $500 so for now it's not going to happen.
I saw where it has 8GB onboard storage and SD Storage 32GB with a max supported of 256GB.

I saw where it has 8GB onboard storage and SD Storage 32GB with a max supported of 256GB.
Total storage isn’t the problem it’s the write speed. I understand it but maybe someone with more camera knowledge than me can probably explain much better why it becomes such a problem for the combination of 1” sensor and 8k.

Then if you get into video a typical card will break the video into 4mb sections and with the massive information of a 1” sensor combined with 8k even if you could write too the card fast enough your 10 minute video will be broken into way too many pieces.

That’s not even mentioning the capabilities your computer would need to have to combine all of these 4mb sections into one video.

8K is 8K, it's the same size of output regardless of the sensor but other factors such as bandwidth, container etc. set file size and required transfer rate. A higher resolution sensor may require more processing depending on the required quality but that's coming before it's writing to the storage media.

Red cameras do not use proprietary media, they just use a custom enclosure around standard flash storage products:

How is Autel's customer support? I have to say this has been a big downfall for me with DJI, it feels pretty clear that they don't really give 2 squats about service. Incredibly frustrating to deal with them AFTER the purchase.
This drone could certainly be the jump for me, loving what i'm seeing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa