DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto-braking on Mavic 2 Pro?

SamHir

Reactions
Just on my second flight. Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller.
I've got 3 batteries so I've managed some reasonable flight time in my first two flights.

So far everything is going smoothly, trying to read as much as possible, but I have encountered one thing which I don't quite get and I haven't been able to find conclusively::

• If I push forward completely (or during the automatic return to home) I will sometimes get a yellow pop-up telling me that the drone is braking and to release the sticks. I don't seem to be going faster than 20mph.
  • Not much wind if any though at 100+ ft. it may be hard for me to judge what it is like up there.
  • Height doesn't seem to affect this, but I've noticed it at multiple altitudes.
  • I have not tried Sports mode, have been flying in Position mode exclusively, though I've seen some posts/videos which say you can get quicker. I'm no longer flying with Beginner mode.
  • Distance isn't the issue, as it happens within 100-300 ft away and I don't believe it is a connection issue since I have strong signals when it happens and video is clear and uninterrupted.
  • I have read that the Sun can cause a sensor issue that matches this, but the direction of the sun does not seem to be involved, especially yesterday when it was totally overcast and I was getting the issue.
I was wondering if Position mode is what is causing it with some sort of stability or max-speed option that I haven't seen, but I can't find anything that would attribute it to this.

I did think it might be the stick calibration, so when I got home I re-calibrated the controller sticks, but I haven't had a chance to test since.

Anyone recognize this behavior and know whether it is normal?

My plan is to try Sport mode at lunch to see if the problem persists, but I'd love to hear if this is well-known or whether I should be contacting DJI support.

Flying into the sun isn’t the cause?
Try the same routine in sport mode.

Flying into the sun isn’t the cause?
Try the same routine in sport mode.

I don't believe so because I experienced it in both directions (both to and away from the sun)
Edit: that said, I am going to test that very specifically after work today to confirm.

Any aftermarket gimbal shield?

Nope, fresh out of the box.

a couple of weeks ago i was flying at 250ft and some 1200ft distance i had turned around to come home,as i was making my way back at around 1050ft out i got the braking message center sticks and the drone stopped, at the distance it was out i could just make out several small birds flying around the mav, i climbed up to around 300ft and continued to return home, as i got nearer and was descending, i again was mobbed by some birds and the sensors detected them and applied the brakes ,the best part came when upon returning home and watching the video the first incident showed just how close the birds had come to the front of the mav ,as they circled around several times, i dont think for one minute that the mav would have hit them, but it shows that the avoidance system does work

I get this error all the time, and yes it usually happens in 15 to 20mph wind situations and has nothing to do with the sun. It gets to the point where the aircraft is not flyable so I have to put in Sports Mode. I tried calibrating the vision sensors but the calibrate button wont highlight after the tutorial. I tried on 2 different computers, I heard it has something to do with the set resolution on the screen. Pretty frustrating.

a couple of weeks ago i was flying at 250ft and some 1200ft distance i had turned around to come home,as i was making my way back at around 1050ft out i got the braking message center sticks and the drone stopped, at the distance it was out i could just make out several small birds flying around the mav, i climbed up to around 300ft and continued to return home, as i got nearer and was descending, i again was mobbed by some birds and the sensors detected them and applied the brakes ,the best part came when upon returning home and watching the video the first incident showed just how close the birds had come to the front of the mav ,as they circled around several times, i dont think for one minute that the mav would have hit them, but it shows that the avoidance system does work

Interesting. I do see some birds in one of the videos I have, but they are quite far away... My plan is to test it out this afternoon and see if I can get a more concrete reproduction of it.

I get this error all the time, and yes it usually happens in 15 to 20mph wind situations and has nothing to do with the sun. It gets to the point where the aircraft is not flyable so I have to put in Sports Mode. I tried calibrating the vision sensors but the calibrate button wont highlight after the tutorial. I tried on 2 different computers, I heard it has something to do with the set resolution on the screen. Pretty frustrating.

Aha! This is what I was wondering... Both days I've flown so far had very minor winds (under 15 mph if I remember correctly) , but it may have been more gusty further up. My plan is to try Sports mode for the first time and see if full-throttle is interrupted as much as it was in Position mode.

Interesting. I do see some birds in one of the videos I have, but they are quite far away... My plan is to test it out this afternoon and see if I can get a more concrete reproduction of it.

Aha! This is what I was wondering... Both days I've flown so far had very minor winds (under 15 mph if I remember correctly) , but it may have been more gusty further up. My plan is to try Sports mode for the first time and see if full-throttle is interrupted as much as it was in Position mode.

The vision sensors are disabled in Sports Mode, so it should fly brake free.

Update: I think Conchman was correct. I went out yesterday when there was hardly any wind and I didn't even have to switch to Sport mode. I just couldn't reproduce the problem at all. I think what was happening on the first two flights was that I was hitting significant wind... the only thing that I don't understand now is why I didn't get the wind warning I've seen on a lot of mavic videos... is the threshold for that warning really high?

Just a data point: in the ~2 months since I've had my M2P, I've flown in fairly high winds a couple of times. I don't get a breaking message on DJI Go (at least, not one that I noticed). I simply get a "High Winds" message that also includes a recommendation to land.

Chris

Just a data point: in the ~2 months since I've had my M2P, I've flown in fairly high winds a couple of times. I don't get a breaking message on DJI Go (at least, not one that I noticed). I simply get a "High Winds" message that also includes a recommendation to land.

Chris
Interesting, out of curiosity are you flying in Position mode?
The only other variable I changed was re-calibrating the controller. Going to fly again tomorrow with a bit more time on my hands so I'll see if the issue returns.

Interesting, out of curiosity are you flying in Position mode?
The only other variable I changed was re-calibrating the controller. Going to fly again tomorrow with a bit more time on my hands so I'll see if the issue returns.

Yes, always in P mode in those cases.

Chris

Others have seen the braking message too (I think I saw that in this thread), so you're not the only one.

I just wanted to point out that I have seen a different message during flights in wind.

Chris

i dont think that the drone would brake due to just it being windy,i to have had the high wind message if it has been gusty, but the only time i have had the braking centre sticks, was when some birds flew closely in front of my drone

When this happens a few times I have gotten a warning like "unsafe angle" or "unsafe tilt" (cant remember exact words) when flying the AC in P mode during windy conditions (15 to 20 mph). I believe the AC tilts too hard during wind, causing the automatic braking. Just a guess though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky