DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad press and negativity towards drones

iocassieopia

Reactions
So I open up my sky news app and once again I'm hit with a news headline that sounds like imminent armageddon for everyone thanks to these nasty drones that are going to ruin the world. Then I read the article and it's actually barely got anything to do with drones at all and the bit that does refer to drones is nonsense anyway.
News companies like sky and the BBC use drones for near enough everything they do on TV now yet they still keep fuelling the scare tactic brigade and giving drones a really bad press.
I find the general public are completely uneducated about consumer drones, have absolutely no idea of drone laws even though they all claim to know what's illegal and what isn't, and everyone seems very suspicious or wary of someone flying a drone anywhere near their vicinity. I can't help thinking that all this negative press is making it worse and worse which is a shame. You can go to a tourist spot where nobody blinks an eye at hundreds of people walking round snapping shots on their phones or cameras but the second you launch a drone they all start shouting that your invading their privacy, infringing rights etc it's bonkers.
I'd be interested to see what others think about the general trend towards drones and if they've been confronted etc.
I was confronted by a woman on a beach who seemed to think my drone shooting a shot of the beach from about 800 ft away was infringing her privacy rights and I was breaking the law, I mean seriously what are these people thinking.

Here's the article btw
Bot and drone misuse could lead to cybercrime explosion

I was flying recently and a female 55-60ish came in to sight so I made sure i moved off and was nowhere near her. She approached me and asked me if it was a drone and did have a camera. I said yes and she asked to have a look. Next thing, she's asking me to do her a favour, converted to a drone fan

> I mean seriously what are these people thinking.

For the officials, we are a nuisance
For the full scale pilots we are the bicyclists of the sky
For the public we are the predator drones watching their every move

I was flying recently and a female 55-60ish came in to sight so I made sure i moved off and was nowhere near her. She approached me and asked me if it was a drone and did have a camera. I said yes and she asked to have a look. Next thing, she's asking me to do her a favour, converted to a drone fan

This is the best way. Show people that there's nothing sinister about our toys. That the consumer drones can't really see all that much unless they are really close, that they are nothing like the military UAVs with high power optics capable of loitering in place for hours.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan