DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bait/payload release - Dronefishing.com

raylo32

Reactions
I ordered one of these things and am having some issues and I am wondering is anyone else here has one. If so please PM me. Having problems both with the device and vendor support. I'll have more to post on this later depending on how things work out.

I have one of the Gannet Bait release and have no problems with it. I'm not using it for fishing, though.

Which model drone and Gannet do you have? I have a M2 Pro and bought the M2 specific Gannet that activates from the M2 aux light under the main body. Only problem is it doesn't work. The Gannet light sensor simply ignores the M2 LED and the release pin remains open when it should shut. I also tested the Gannet using my iPhone flashlight LED and it works just fine. So there is something different between the two LEDs... intensity, color temp, etc. that makes the Gannet "blind" to the M2 LED. The company is pretty poor in responding. They claim to be having e-mail inbox issues and losing or misplacing e-mails. So far all I have gotten from them is to "try to calibrate the sensor". I mean that cursory a reply that doesn't offer a clue as to how to do that... and the unit itself has no calibrate or reset button, only an on-off switch... and their website doesn't have a manual or technical support link. Maybe it is something like flip the on-off switch 3 times to put it in cal mode then shine the light on the sensor for 5 seconds... or, who knows??

Yes, these can be used for many applications. Maybe teach the wifey to fly and have her send me cold beers out in the yard? But I plan to take it to Florida for some fishing.

I have one of the Gannet Bait release and have no problems with it. I'm not using it for fishing, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5haman
Which model drone and Gannet do you have? I have a M2 Pro and bought the M2 specific Gannet that activates from the M2 aux light under the main body. Only problem is it doesn't work. The Gannet light sensor simply ignores the M2 LED and the release pin remains open when it should shut. I also tested the Gannet using my iPhone flashlight LED and it works just fine. So there is something different between the two LEDs... intensity, color temp, etc. that makes the Gannet "blind" to the M2 LED. The company is pretty poor in responding. They claim to be having e-mail inbox issues and losing or misplacing e-mails. So far all I have gotten from them is to "try to calibrate the sensor". I mean that cursory a reply that doesn't offer a clue as to how to do that... and the unit itself has no calibrate or reset button, only an on-off switch... and their website doesn't have a manual or technical support link. Maybe it is something like flip the on-off switch 3 times to put it in cal mode then shine the light on the sensor for 5 seconds... or, who knows??

Yes, these can be used for many applications. Maybe teach the wifey to fly and have her send me cold beers out in the yard? But I plan to take it to Florida for some fishing.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and the single release version, they also make one that you can drop two items from. I have my set to the C2 button and it takes two clicks to activate. I have not used it in sometime. It is very easy to put it on backwards and cover part of the Downward infrared sensor, obviously will not work that way, been there, done that. I make sure the sensor is facing backwards. I would cycle through your controller using the C2 or whatever button you have it set to since the light will activate without the Gannet bait release being on. It the light turns on with your C2 button or whatever button your using put the Gannet Bait release on. I have found when I have not used it for awhile, I have not moved the slide button to power up the Gannet Bait release and obviously it won't work in that case either. 1) Set up the customizable button 2) Power up Mavic 2 Pro 2) Cycle through and make sure the downward landing light is coming on 3) If all is well, place the Gannet Unit on and back sure the sensor is over the landing light, sensor faces backwards on drone 4) Make sure the Gannet is charge and slide the power on button 5) Cycle the Bait release through, it will first be in the unlocked position, hit the button until the release closes. 6) And yes, they said to watch a none existent video and I did not get a response from them either.

I have just been in contact with Gannet and apparently the unit they shipped me has the wrong circuit board and software version to work with M2. Apparently the M2 aux lights are frequency modulated, IOW their brightness depends on "flickering" on and off faster than the eye can see. This is similar to high end motorcycle LED aux lights like Clearwater. But the software/board installed in this particular Gannet unit is set up for a steady on LED, hence it is essentially blind to the lights as I said above. They are shipping me another one. I wonder how many of these were manufactured wrongly? Glad you got one that works, must have been from an earlier batch.

Last edited:
I have just been in contact with Gannet and apparently the unit they shipped me has the wrong circuit board and software version to work with M2. Apparently the M2 aux lights are frequency modulated, IOW their brightness depends on "flickering" on and off faster than the eye can see. This is similar to high end motorcycle LED aux lights like Clearwater. But the software/board installed in this particular Gannet unit is set up for a steady on LED, hence it is essentially blind to the lights as I said above. They are shipping me another one. I wonder how many of these were manufactured wrongly? Glad you got one that works, must have been from an earlier batch.

Interesting an earlier version works and a later one would not, mine does take a double click to close the thing. I'm glad you heard from them, since I never did.

Not a version issue, it was a manufacturing mistake, using a board programmed for a different Gannet product designed to work on a different drone.

The double click thing is not a Gannet issue, that is how DJI has the aux lights set up to work. The programmed button cycles through on-off-auto so when you click though the auto choice it doesn't change the light state. If you look at the app screen as you click you can see this happening.

Interesting an earlier version works and a later one would not, mine does take a double click to close the thing. I'm glad you heard from them, since I never did.

Not a version issue, it was a manufacturing mistake, using a board programmed for a different Gannet product designed to work on a different drone.

The double click thing is not a Gannet issue, that is how DJI has the aux lights set up to work. The programmed button cycles through on-off-auto so when you click though the auto choice it doesn't change the light state. If you look at the app screen as you click you can see this happening.

Just glad you got a response and they are sending you a new one. I just use mine to drop parachutes for kids or while using my grappling hook to drop the whole unit before landing. It's just toy to me.

Reactions: passedpawn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky