DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Level Indication

hpilot

Reactions
Am I the only one that hates the battery level indication on the app? I can never read it because 1) it's way too small 2) The color of the font is white, and it usually blends in with the sky - which is usually close to white on the display. In short, it's almost impossible to read - especially out in bright light. This is the most important data point on the display, and it should be in large bold font in green until the battery gets low, then in red. This is really stupid UI design.

Last edited:
I agree. you can hit the battery icon and see each cell voltage if you didn’t know.

Totally agree!

There have been a number of posts concerning this, since the app originally came out for the Mavic Mini, including in the DJI Forum, but unfortunately nothing has been done to correct it yet.

We can only hope!

Reactions: gb160
actually if you use an ipad to fly your drone, since a couple of app updates ago, the white lettering you are referring to,both at the top and bottom of the screen view are now over the black
bars that run at the top and bottom of the screen, and are really easy to read now

Reactions: hpilot and gb160
actually if you use an ipad to fly your drone, since a couple of app updates ago, the white lettering you are referring to,both at the top and bottom of the screen view are now over the black
bars that run at the top and bottom of the screen, and are really easy to read now
Yeah it makes using an iPad even better for flying.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yeah it makes using an iPad even better for flying.
I haven't got the best eye sight in the world but can see it okish lol
My limited experience to date is 2 outings running 3 batteries flat both times
When they get to 20% or somewhere around there it tells you the status and automatically goes to return to home mode
Like i said previously
FANTASTIC

Reactions: davemorts and gb160
I haven't got the best eye sight in the world but can see it okish lol
My limited experience to date is 2 outings running 3 batteries flat both times
When they get to 20% or somewhere around there it tells you the status and automatically goes to return to home mode
Like i said previously
FANTASTIC
@Mel 08 this is not me lecturing you on how to fly your new drone,more some advice on keeping you drone safe and being able to cope with unexpected situations
(1) just waiting for the battery to get really low, and then relying n RTH to bring it home is not always the best outcome
(2) imagine the drone is on its way back and getting ready to land and out of nowhere appears a flock of sheep or herd of cattle ,and even a large group of people standing right where the drone is going to attempt to land
yes you can cancel the RTH but unfortunately by now the battery is about to reach critical level and the drone is just going to land regardless
(3) the point i am trying to make is learn to fly the drone back yourself before the battery gets too low, keep an eye on the level on the screen ,then if you are not able to land as in the previous scenario, then you will have some time to assess the situation and act accordingly,yes the auto flight modes are very nice but if they fail then you need to know what to do to save the day yours OMM

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbez1
this is not me lecturing you on how to fly your new drone,more some advice on keeping you drone safe and being able to cope with unexpected situations
(1) just waiting for the battery to get really low, and then relying n RTH to bring it home is not always the best outcome
(2) imagine the drone is on its way back and getting ready to land and out of nowhere appears a flock of sheep or herd of cattle ,and even a large group of people standing right where the drown is going to attempt to land
yes you can cancel the RTH but unfortunately by now the battery is about to reach critical level and the drone is just going to land regardless
(3) the point i am trying to make is learn to fly the drone back yourself before the battery gets too low, keep an eye on the level on the screen ,then if you are not able to land as in the previous scenario, then you will have some time to assess the situation and act accordingly,yes the auto flight modes are very nice but if they fail then you need to know what to do to save the day yours OMM
Totally understand what you're saying.
When it returns to home it's got 20% left.
If it's supposed to be 30 odd minutes flying time per battery grounding the drone at said 20% is knocking a fifth off the time ie 6 minutes.
I'm only flying a few hundred metres distance at the most at the moment but still by my reckoning it would have enough left to fly over a mile.
If it returns on it's own as I'm flying now the 6ish minutes should be ample to avoid a flock of sheep.
Please don't think I'm trying to tell you how to suck eggs and I appreciate you're input but I try and consider every scenario and have previously mulled this over

Cheers Mel

Reactions: old man mavic
Totally understand what you're saying.
When it returns to home it's got 20% left.
If it's supposed to be 30 odd minutes flying time per battery grounding the drone at said 20% is knocking a fifth off the time ie 6 minutes.
I'm only flying a few hundred metres distance at the most at the moment but still by my reckoning it would have enough left to fly over a mile.
If it returns on it's own as I'm flying now the 6ish minutes should be ample to avoid a flock of sheep.
Please don't think I'm trying to tell you how to suck eggs and I appreciate you're input but I try and consider every scenario and have previously mulled this over

Cheers Mel
no problem my fellow flyer, i just want you to have a successful experience with your new hobby enjoy,the stated time is in perfect conditions and not a real world time i'm afraid

Reactions: Mel 08
It's ridiculous. I had to face my camera toward a dark background just to check battery.

Looks like you're a pilot..use your watch..fuel burn is fuel burn right?;)..but like others say..plenty of info if you tap on it. I like that it shows what happens when you gas it.

Looks like you're a pilot..use your watch..fuel burn is fuel burn right?;)..but like others say..plenty of info if you tap on it. I like that it shows what happens when you gas it.
Unfortunately, the rate of fuel burn is not linear in a real world environment with wind and speed changes.

I agree it's hard to see but if you tap on the little icon it exspands and you can see more info and it's a lot bigger.

I’ve never tried it as I’m pretty conservative, but if a drone was really far away (illegal in itself), and the battery started getting low, would it fly FURTHER in P mode or Sport mode? Assuming no extreme winds.

I’ve never tried it as I’m pretty conservative, but if a drone was really far away (illegal in itself), and the battery started getting low, would it fly FARTHER in P mode or Sport mode? Assuming no extreme winds.
Based on the return to home function, I believe the "fuel economy" of P mode is better than S mode as this would be why DJI programmed it to behave this way.
We probably have the data in the logs to calculate this out, but we need some big brains to do some comparisons on meters per mAh at the different speed and it would become more obvious.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manu Gopinath