DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Maintenance - A Different (?) Question

JMagnus

Reactions
In many threads I've read you should keep your batteries at about a 65% charge if you're not going to use your drone for awhile. I get that. However, and I'm sad to say this but, due to my home and work situation I'm not able to get out and use my drone much. I believe it's been 2 months since the last time I flew. Fortunately for me this will change come next year. In the meantime, here's my question.

What should I do to make sure my batteries stay in an optimal storage charge for the extended periods of time? Should I periodically recharge them to 65% or what? And does this apply to the controller battery too? Thanks!

Reactions: Slade
Hi @JMagnus!
The Safety Guidelines (page 4) have you covered if you are grounded for an extended perioded of time, see point 3:

So, hopefully, you get more time to fly soon!
For the controller, I would recommend it too, however not being a HV LiPo, it's not that strict - but every 3 months together with the flight batteries is the easiest way to keep track of everything imho. ;)

What should I do to make sure my batteries stay in an optimal storage charge for the extended periods of time? Should I periodically recharge them to 65% or what?
You should follow these tips:
HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

does this apply to the controller battery too?
The battery in the remote controller doesn't fail as often, but you still don't want to let it go flat. When it's down to about 25% (or one light), I charge mine until around the 75% level. When I'm going to fly, I of course charge it up to 100%.

Thank you @globetrotterdrone and @msinger ! This was very helpful.

I have one final question now. How do I fully discharge a battery every 3 months before fully recharging it? Is there any way to do it besides powering up the drone and letting it run until the battery is discharged?

Use the USB adapter to charge your phone, tablets or any other devices. You really have to cycle your batteries more often than every 3 months. My 3 Mavic batts are approaching 3 years old, but still have 80-90% of their original capacity.

Reactions: JMagnus
How do I fully discharge a battery every 3 months before fully recharging it?
This does not need to be done. If possible, try to fly with each battery at least once every 3 months. If that's not possible, then maintain them per my link above.

Also, has anyone talked about Li-Po storage boxes/cases? The flame/fire/heat-proof ones? Some of the training videos I've been watching as a part of the Part 107 training have been eye-opening. Tons of companies make hard and soft safety bags and boxes. Something to look into if you won't be using your batteries regularly and want to store them safely. I would imagine the batteries are at greater risk during charge and discharge, but maybe storing in a safe container is something to think about?

Also, I believe the DJI smart batteries automatically and intentionally discharge over time after a certain period of time of disuse?

In many threads I've read you should keep your batteries at about a 65% charge if you're not going to use your drone for awhile. I get that. However, and I'm sad to say this but, due to my home and work situation I'm not able to get out and use my drone much. I believe it's been 2 months since the last time I flew. Fortunately for me this will change come next year. In the meantime, here's my question.

What should I do to make sure my batteries stay in an optimal storage charge for the extended periods of time? Should I periodically recharge them to 65% or what? And does this apply to the controller battery too? Thanks!
The DJI web site has a very good PDF download that explain everything.
DJI has great support and many answers can be found there, in the associated manuals that come with the drone and their various tutorials...

has anyone talked about Li-Po storage boxes/cases? The flame/fire/heat-proof ones?
When my batteries are not in use, I keep them stored in a LiPo bag like this RCGEEK fireproof bag:

Batteries are usually pretty harmless when not being charged. But, I decided to use LiPo bags just in case since I store all of my batteries in my house.

For charging, I know some people like to use something more robust like the metal BAT-SAFE.

I believe the DJI smart batteries automatically and intentionally discharge over time after a certain period of time of disuse?
They don't automatically/intentionally discharge below the storage level. Like most batteries though, they will lose their charge over time if they are not maintained.

They don't automatically/intentionally discharge below the storage level. Like most batteries though, they will lose their charge over time if they are not maintained.

Oh, no, right...not below the storage level. But they will discharge to the storage level, I believe?

Hi @JMagnus!
The Safety Guidelines (page 4) have you covered if you are grounded for an extended perioded of time, see point 3:

View attachment 77364

So, hopefully, you get more time to fly soon!
For the controller, I would recommend it too, however not being a HV LiPo, it's not that strict - but every 3 months together with the flight batteries is the easiest way to keep track of everything imho. ;)
Both HV and Standard LiPO have substantially similar storage and use considerations when it comes to maintaining optimum service life and performance.

The reason you might need to be less particular in your care for the controller battery isn’t because it isn’t a HV lipo. It is simply because the controller provides a much lower current draw that that demanded if the flight battery. Increased internal resistance which is the most relevant outcome of poor battery care is much less of a problem at low discharge currents. A pack that will fail early delivering higher current will often provide close to its nameplate Ah rating a lower discharge rates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead