DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery maintenance questions and myths (?)

jakub

Reactions
Sorry if this topic is already somewhere here - couldn't find it.
I have a few questions about batteries

1. is it true that first battery DIScharging should be to 0%?

2. Is it true that I should discharge batteries to 0% every 20 cycles?

3. Is it true that discharge timer resets every time you press a button?

4. How many cycles have your batteries lasted for?

5. What voltage difference between cells is acceptable?

I couldn't find answers for those questions in the manual or anywhere in the forum. If it was already answered let me know please
Thank you!

Reactions: jakub
I work for a company that makes LiPo cells on large scale, (0.5Million cells/month) we spend loads of money on R & D and have an extensive testing facility, in summary:

Lithium Batteries will have a long life with simple care, there are many theories about how to make them last a long time, truth is the factory carries out the first and most important charge that determines the life span of a Lithium Cell. This first charge creates the SEI Layer within then cell, how well this forms determines the overall life of the cell.

They don't like being discharged to nothing, the intelligent controller of a DJI battery will prevent this.

They don't like being 'topped off' on a regular basis, now and again will be OK, better to top off rather than fly on a partially discharged battery;

If you store them, 40% to 70% is the sweet spot for them, remember that when the Intelligent Battery goes into hibernation it will slowly discharge due to the overheads placed on the battery by the controller.

They don't like being chilled. So don't fly them cold, in low temperatures keep them warm, body temperature is ideal.

They don't like being charged as soon as they are flown, let them cool first.

Apart from that they are maintenance free. Don't worry too much and go and fly them, that will keep them happiest.

Sorry if this topic is already somewhere here - couldn't find it.
I have a few questions about batteries

1. is it true that first battery DIScharging should be to 0%?

2. Is it true that I should discharge batteries to 0% every 20 cycles?

3. Is it true that discharge timer resets every time you press a button?

4. How many cycles have your batteries lasted for?

5. What voltage difference between cells is acceptable?

I couldn't find answers for those questions in the manual or anywhere in the forum. If it was already answered let me know please
Thank you!
Don't think you looked hard enough, and never, never discharge your battery to 0% and answer to #5, DJI says 0.10Vs and to #4, still using my original batteries.

Don't think you looked hard enough, and never, never discharge your battery to 0% and answer to #5, DJI says 0.10Vs and to #4, still using my original batteries.
Well, I didn't find anything, sorry. "still using my original batteries" - could you please specify what does that mean in your case?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan