DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery mod thread

Very cool, very cool indeed... i've been checking out your progress from the shadows for a bit and normally don't post much (first post here) but i've been very impressed with what you've accomplished so far and am intrigued to see if you can reach that 60 min mark...
I also dig that you are actually doing real flight tests vs just static hover tests, whats the weather conditions like there?
Are you still using the 2 sanyo 3450 mah cells from the first post? and if so how many flights have you done with them so far?

The best cells I have used are 21700 Samsung 5000mah... Even when pushing 20amps through these cells test have shown they still give 4000mah.

So by overcharging them to 4.4v per cell (do at your own risk! Very dangerous!!!) I get close to the 5000mah at just under 150grams per battery pack.

So you take out the factory battery use the bms put this on top and you have a mini that weighs 300grams. Can't beat that!

Reactions: Emanáku and JS1600
The main key is to plug back into factory charger after the swap....

But if you did the initial battery update then this won't work....

I think the initial firmware on the battery didn't count how many charge cycles the battery did... I think this is why there was a new firmware released

Is there a way to check what firmware battery has installed? I got 2 new batteries but they already count the # of times being charged, I still did not update them, since I was not asked.

But using no dji battery ...we can avoid to reuse the bms of original battery as we made on mavic 1 ? I think that you already know that is possible change mavic mini parameter. Some people already try to put mini mavic as no dji battery?

But using no dji battery ...we can avoid to reuse the bms of original battery as we made on mavic 1 ? I think that you already know that is possible change mavic mini parameter. Some people already try to put mini mavic as no dji battery?

Do you know of a way to access the mavic mini parameters? Dji assistant 2 1.1.2 does not work for mini

With Python command : a) install python on your pc , b) install dji-firmware-tools o-gs/dji-firmware-tools , inside you found the latest comm_og_service_tool.py updated with mavic 2 and mini mavic (wm160) then sending command from window , using python you can read parameter and change .
in order to read : C:\........\dji-firmware-tools-master\comm_og_service_tool.py -vvv com5 WM160 FlycParam get vert_vel_down_adding_max --alt
In order to write : C:\.........\dji-firmware-tools-master\comm_og_service_tool.py -vvv com5 WM160 FlycParam set vert_vel_down_adding_max -7 --alt as example to write -7 at the vel_down parameter ......same for other parameter including battery_type
Default Value Min Max Parameter index
battery_type 1 0 3 960

With Python command : a) install python on your pc , b) install dji-firmware-tools o-gs/dji-firmware-tools , inside you found the latest comm_og_service_tool.py updated with mavic 2 and mini mavic (wm160) then sending command from window , using python you can read parameter and change .
in order to read : C:\........\dji-firmware-tools-master\comm_og_service_tool.py -vvv com5 WM160 FlycParam get vert_vel_down_adding_max --alt
In order to write : C:\.........\dji-firmware-tools-master\comm_og_service_tool.py -vvv com5 WM160 FlycParam set vert_vel_down_adding_max -7 --alt as example to write -7 at the vel_down parameter ......same for other parameter including battery_type
Default Value Min Max Parameter index
battery_type 1 0 3 960
I will try this out tonight

I will try this out tonight
In any case your way to modd battery is very interesting I summarize what I understand from your previous post : a) only if work in a battery non charged and no connected to mini and no updated by fw, b) practically we need to work in a soo called battery hibernation state = in factory condition , c) I can disassembled one than desolder cells take the Bms pcb and connect to other cells with more capacity d) than I need to connect the new battery with old bms and new cells to recharger in this case the bms recognize the new cells .....dear Justin is this correct ?

Reactions: Serhiy
Would hardwiring a "virgin" BMS to the MM and then just using 2x18650 packs, with some sort of diy connectors be somehow possible??

I already stated that if you don't do the battery update you can swap out cells all you want. Only requirement is after you swap them you have to plug it back in the factory charger. This resets it for the new cells.

I even have a bms that is plug and play with other batteries. This allows me to over charge the batteries, then plug into the bms, plug into factory charger, it will flash, then plug into the back of the mini and you're good to go. With this I am able to get 35min of flight time just on 2 cells
how do you stop the battery upgrade

Just read all these posts, and it got me thinking. I saw the post suggesting using solar panels. Are there “high intake-output” solar panels? Some kind that basically just sucks energy from available light? I know this sounds pretty far out there, but if someone could mod a solar panel to take in more energy than it does usually, and quicker, it would be extremely useful to drone modders. Even if it just extended the flight time, it might be useful to get to that 60-minute mark. I don’t know if you can use this or not, just something that came to mind.

Just read all these posts, and it got me thinking. I saw the post suggesting using solar panels. Are there “high intake-output” solar panels? Some kind that basically just sucks energy from available light? I know this sounds pretty far out there, but if someone could mod a solar panel to take in more energy than it does usually, and quicker, it would be extremely useful to drone modders. Even if it just extended the flight time, it might be useful to get to that 60-minute mark. I don’t know if you can use this or not, just something that came to mind.
It’s fantastic :)))) forget about it

Reactions: Tesla Hertz
Is there a way to check what firmware battery has installed? I got 2 new batteries but they already count the # of times being charged, I still did not update them, since I was not asked.

More than likely you did the update when you did the initial mavic mini update out of the box...

In any case your way to modd battery is very interesting I summarize what I understand from your previous post : a) only if work in a battery non charged and no connected to mini and no updated by fw, b) practically we need to work in a soo called battery hibernation state = in factory condition , c) I can disassembled one than desolder cells take the Bms pcb and connect to other cells with more capacity d) than I need to connect the new battery with old bms and new cells to recharger in this case the bms recognize the new cells .....dear Justin is this correct ?

A. Will work on whatever charge level. Just can not be updated. If you performed the battery firmware update, it will brick the bms no matter what you do.

B. You can perform the cell transplant in any battery state as long as you did not do the battery firmware update.
Just have to place battery with bms hooked to it on charge for 1 second so the bms will reset itself.

C. Yes you can do this no problem as long as you did not perform the battery firmware update.

D. Yes this is correct. However what I'm doing is I have a bms with a jst and Ballance connector with no battery attached to it. I charge the battery with a aftermarket charger. When battery is charged, I plug it into the bms via jst and balance connector. I then connect the bms in factory position on mavic mini, and put external battery on top via Velcro. I then just plug a micro USB into the mavic mini with power and that activates the bms. Now you can unplug the mini. Power the mini on and fly.

@Piranha LOL I know right? Just thinking outside the box mate. (Wayyyyyy outside the box...)??

Reactions: Piranha
Even better- why not a solar panel that works in the dark?

Can you imagine the solar technology being advanced to provide significantly higher efficiency and it not being implemented? You would have a better imagination than most.

Reactions: Cyber3xpert
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki