DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery mod thread

I have now made a new bms mod for external batteries. I think it looks pretty good :). Some people are going to say the balance lead doesn't supply enough power..... I've done about five 40 min flights with it this way and no problems so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20191208_225757.jpg
    IMG_20191208_225757.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20191208_225733.jpg
    IMG_20191208_225733.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20191208_225802.jpg
    IMG_20191208_225802.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 317
I have now made a new bms mod for external batteries. I think it looks pretty good :). Some people are going to say the balance lead doesn't supply enough power..... I've done about five 40 min flights with it this way and no problems so far.
Cool man. How are you routing the batt leads to it? Through the door I mean... Or is that just a balance plug that's recessed further in the batter bay with BMS and your battery is still connected through a second Jst connector on top?

Last edited:
Cool man. How are you routing the batt leads to it? Through the door I mean... Or is that just a balance plug that's recessed further in the batter bay with BMS and your battery is still connected through a second Jst connector on top?

That's just a bms. The entire drone is powered by the balanced lead of the external battery. I would not use the jst connector at all. Battery just plugs into the but now lol.
Is easily removable, and undone.

That's just a bms. The entire drone is powered by the balanced lead of the external battery. I would not use the jst connector at all. Battery just plugs into the but now lol.
Is easily removable, and undone.
Got it. So the battery door stays open or are you planning to leave it off/cut a notch?

Force land happens at 5% @ 3.3v.
Whats the "Cliff" voltage for LiIon batteries? DJI LiPo's would force-land on 10% and cliff voltage was about 3.2v.
My concern with this new quad is DJI's inexperience with this type of battery- dont know if they're cutting it close or being too conservative.

Full charge voltage is 4.14v or so. I tend to store them with 50% charge, then charge up and fly that day so they dont sit >4v for too long (preferably <12hrs). Once flown, cool to room them and charge back to storage level ready for next time.

My interest is given DJI was trying to get this <250g - if there was perhaps a higher capacity battery (official/aftermarket) for those who are already registered and dont care about the 250g limit.
They are definitely being conservative! I would put the cliff at 2.8V - 2.7V. Major transition begins close to 3.0V. (YMMV)

Best thing about this way, is you can overcharge it, use the bms and it tell you how much volts it has. Leaves you with 40min flight time minimum with right around 300grams all up weight. May not look the best, but it works the best.

I've gotten up to 47min with severe overcharging and the last 2 min are hovering without being able to make the mini acend anymore. Pretty much after 2.85volts the mini has a hard time lifting itself up. It can hover but not climb

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986