DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery weight on flights

minipro3

Reactions
How do I determine Watt hour or battery weight for airline regulations ? Restriction info from airline below:
"Each lithium ion battery must not exceed a Watt-hour (Wh) rating of 100 Wh; or for lithium metal batteries, a lithium content of 2 grams"

You will be fine.
If you have a mini 3 like your screen name states. A mini 3 battery is 28.4 WH.

Most airline regulation is for large lithium ion batteries (think scooters e bikes), not so much consumer electronics.

How do I determine Watt hour or battery weight for airline regulations ? Restriction info from airline below:
"Each lithium ion battery must not exceed a Watt-hour (Wh) rating of 100 Wh; or for lithium metal batteries, a lithium content of 2 grams"
It's probably printed on your battery.
All the other models that I've seen from DJI do.

Or you can check in the specs.
According to the specs for the Mini 3 pro, the battery has a stored energy of 18.1 Wh

ps ... it's not the weight of the battery, but how much energy is stored in the battery.

Reactions: minipro3
I know they like to scrutinize R.C. Airplane batteries, but to be honest they have really never said anything to me when my drone is in its hardcase they just glance at it and sometimes they never say a thing and I just board with it I know for sure they will put them in the baggage compartment (as long as its in a case of some kind) lol

I did not realize that. I'll just say I took a very busy American Flight from Las Vegas and the stew checked my drone case. To be honest I don't think the local airport people really know that those little bricks in your drone case are Batteries lol. I know when I fly with My R.C. stuff its such a hassle that I Mail my batteries beforehand

Reactions: minipro3
It's probably printed on your battery.
All the other models that I've seen from DJI do.

Or you can check in the specs.
According to the specs for the Mini 3 pro, the battery has a stored energy of 18.1 Wh

ps ... it's not the weight of the battery, but how much energy is stored in the battery.
Thank you !

Some airlines limit the number of batteries you can take into the cabin regardless of wH rating of each unit, so well worth checking with your airline.

I’ve flown recently and just opened my drone case while it went through x-ray security. No issues whatsoever.

Battery weight is listed in the User Manual published by DJI. For example, the Air 2S battery is 198 g. This is not a "lithium metal" type battery.

What's funny is that, as far as I am aware, you are technically allowed to carry an unlimited number of lithium ion batteries on flights in the US so long as each one is below 100Wh.

This is great, as the total number can easily add up for people like me who regularly carry many different devices (think phone, laptop, 3 drone batteries, gopro battery, 6+ camera batteries, remote controller batteries, strobe batteries, repeat ad infinitum).

Some airlines may have different policies, Air Canada for example only allows 20 lithium batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks