DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bay Area Pilots Sound Off

Does anyone has a list of confirmed State Parks in Bay Area that allow drones?
The park I know that does allow drones is Baylands Park in San Jose. You can fly into a state park if you take off and land from outside the bounds of the park grounds.

Successful first flight!

80ba56cf6e11dbc952a31e5ace506191.jpg

Reactions: dubberz
Hey All!

Just got my Mavic on black friday. Thing kicks *** so far.

Been flying R.C. Planes and quad copters for years but finally decided to take the plunge.

Would be cool to get a meet going and pickup some tips and tricks

-Kyle

Reactions: Bolo156
Any other places apart from Baylands. I went towards Santa theresa and Los Gatos where you have that country lane hill. Even though more than 5 miles from Airport, the approach due to runaway alignment feels frightfully close, more so since you are on a hill few hundred feet high.
Thinking of flying near Quarry park as its aligned away from all approach paths and no Air traffic nearby. Any tips on Location

I am in Hayward for a month wanting to fly my drone anyone wants to meet up and know a good location where to fly around this area. Just message me

Vacaville ca.......and i need help ...hands on help...anyone interested in meeting up sometime to help me figure out this mavic....willing to drive to you...yup newbie here

Reactions: Bolo156
A lot of us go to baylands park in sunnyvale ok weekends. You can swing by there

Planning on flying my MPP for the first time this weekend before it starts raining. Want to start low in Beginner mode and just get familiar and be good in maneuvering. Any open area close to San Francisco you guys can suggest? Thanks in advance!

Planning on flying my MPP for the first time this weekend before it starts raining. Want to start low in Beginner mode and just get familiar and be good in maneuvering. Any open area close to San Francisco you guys can suggest? Thanks in advance!
Treasure Island

Hey Everyone I live in Downtown San Francisco and fly literally every single day thru out the Bay Area. I will be flying the Lyon St. Steps tmrw AM. If anyone EVER NEEDS OR WANTS TO FLY, OR HELP DONT HESITATE.

Hey Everyone I live in Downtown San Francisco and fly literally every single day thru out the Bay Area. I will be flying the Lyon St. Steps tmrw AM. If anyone EVER NEEDS OR WANTS TO FLY, OR HELP DONT HESITATE.
Hello, I’m a newbie and am very disappointed that there are VERY few places where it’s legal to fly in the Bay Area because of FAA airspace restrictions and local regulations. Are you certified with proper waivers, or just hoping to not get caught? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey MMCCompton ok so from my understanding if you are a hobbyist, meaning you do not take any money for work flying your drone and simply fly for fun the following rules apply....
1.Register your drone with the FAA, cost is 5.00
2.Can not fly over 400 ft. anywhere within the US
3.can not fly within I believe 5 miles from major airports?? I have never been close enough for that to matter so I haven't worried about it.
I know what you mean concerning laws within the bay area and restrictions on flying but this has been my experience flying almost daily for the last 6 months in San Francisco, have respect of others, and the main focus for all of us is safety, NEVER FLY OVER PEOPLE and OR INFRINGE on anyone's rights to enjoy the same space you are attempting to fly in. I can count on one hand how many times I have been asked to not fly my drone by a citizen, and I have always been respectful and immediately bring it down and move on, its just not worth it. I have had a park ranger one time inform me it is illegal to fly in any national park and or state property...etc so again comes the problem there is literally pretty much no where you would be able to legally fly if you are that worried about it. My advice, as I said show respect, have common sense, look around and take a minute prior to flying to figure out situational awareness and safety precautions in the event something happens...etc other than that I would say have fun.
I know for a fact there will be folks on here that will correct me and hopefully not bash me to hard for my advice to you but this is how I have been flying and it has worked out great for me. My experience is the public either hates drones and or they are fascinated by them, I would say 90% is the latter, so understand when they approach with all the same questions...how high, how fast, how much.......etc try to be friendly and understand we represent the community of folks that do this hobby.
I will tell you this I was told by a gentlemen I met flying one day that has over 20 year experience here in the bay as a photographer and 10 flying drones here commercially to STAY OUT OF MARIN, they do not play around, they will arrest you, take your drone, and it is severe punishment??? That is what I was told not experienced but I have taken head to that.
Again if ever you want to go fly I routinely get together with other pilots in the area and we go out together let me know.

Here from San Jose area! I am fairly new but been exploring places to fly. I went up to Muir Beach overlook yesterday in the hope of flying as the State park website says its legal still. Came back disappointed as the b4ufly app showed an airport in vicinity. ****!

I flew in Seacliff wihtout problems, but ever since been looking for a place to fly. If anyone like me wants to explore places around where we can fly safe and legally, do hit me up. Would love some company. I have a mavic air and spark. And heres some shots I took with my spark before

Hey MMCCompton ok so from my understanding if you are a hobbyist, meaning you do not take any money for work flying your drone and simply fly for fun the following rules apply....
1.Register your drone with the FAA, cost is 5.00
2.Can not fly over 400 ft. anywhere within the US
3.can not fly within I believe 5 miles from major airports?? I have never been close enough for that to matter so I haven't worried about it.
I know what you mean concerning laws within the bay area and restrictions on flying but this has been my experience flying almost daily for the last 6 months in San Francisco, have respect of others, and the main focus for all of us is safety, NEVER FLY OVER PEOPLE and OR INFRINGE on anyone's rights to enjoy the same space you are attempting to fly in. I can count on one hand how many times I have been asked to not fly my drone by a citizen, and I have always been respectful and immediately bring it down and move on, its just not worth it. I have had a park ranger one time inform me it is illegal to fly in any national park and or state property...etc so again comes the problem there is literally pretty much no where you would be able to legally fly if you are that worried about it. My advice, as I said show respect, have common sense, look around and take a minute prior to flying to figure out situational awareness and safety precautions in the event something happens...etc other than that I would say have fun.
I know for a fact there will be folks on here that will correct me and hopefully not bash me to hard for my advice to you but this is how I have been flying and it has worked out great for me. My experience is the public either hates drones and or they are fascinated by them, I would say 90% is the latter, so understand when they approach with all the same questions...how high, how fast, how much.......etc try to be friendly and understand we represent the community of folks that do this hobby.
I will tell you this I was told by a gentlemen I met flying one day that has over 20 year experience here in the bay as a photographer and 10 flying drones here commercially to STAY OUT OF MARIN, they do not play around, they will arrest you, take your drone, and it is severe punishment??? That is what I was told not experienced but I have taken head to that.
Again if ever you want to go fly I routinely get together with other pilots in the area and we go out together let me know.

Hello, thanks for the prompt and thoughtful reply. What you describe sounds like responsible piloting to me.

My concern is whether local (SF) ordinances prohibit flying downtown or in city (not state or national) parks. For example, a Santa Clara County park ranger told me two days ago that in Santa Clara County, drones are only permitted on private property. never in parks or on/over any public land.

I have also heard stories of pilots getting ticketed in Golden Gate Park, with the officers citing Section 3.09, which prohibits all "apparatus of aviation" in any SF park. That ordinance was written in 1981, so I suppose one could argue that it wasn't intended to cover models/drones, but it still sounds risky.

Regarding Marin, I hear you. I have read that Airplane Hill, near Four Corners on Mt. Tam, permits drone flights. May have to check that out some time.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll hit you up sometime when I'll be coming to SF!

New Mavic Pro owner in Oakley, have had it just over a month spent first couple weeks just reading up on all the features, is the delta a NFZ cause I think around it would be some really cool places to fly and I'm not aware of any airports other than Byron.

Hello, thanks for the prompt and thoughtful reply. What you describe sounds like responsible piloting to me.

My concern is whether local (SF) ordinances prohibit flying downtown or in city (not state or national) parks. For example, a Santa Clara County park ranger told me two days ago that in Santa Clara County, drones are only permitted on private property. never in parks or on/over any public land.

I have also heard stories of pilots getting ticketed in Golden Gate Park, with the officers citing Section 3.09, which prohibits all "apparatus of aviation" in any SF park. That ordinance was written in 1981, so I suppose one could argue that it wasn't intended to cover models/drones, but it still sounds risky.

Regarding Marin, I hear you. I have read that Airplane Hill, near Four Corners on Mt. Tam, permits drone flights. May have to check that out some time.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll hit you up sometime when I'll be coming to SF!
Virtually all of the Santa Clara County parks, open space reserves and the California State Parks 'in Santa Clara County' have restrictions as does almost all of the ocean and bay coastline (marine protection areas where you can't fly below 1000' - i.e. you can't fly your drone there). Strictly speaking you should not be flying over the pier at Seacliff, only in the field at the edge of the park. Hopefully over the next few years a few parks can open up nice areas to fly without bothering people too much. Right now restrictions are pretty much a negative knee jerk reaction to something relatively new.

Reactions: ksmusa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne