DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BBC flaunting the rules?

Jupeuav

Reactions
I recently finished my PfCO so naturally with all the regs still fresh in my mind I’m noticing a lot (ok a **** tonne) of people flaunting the rules. Most notably the BBC.

A lot of their reports feature what is obviously a drone getting shots over houses and things like that. A guy on my course actually worked as a camera man for BBC Manchester and said he used his quite a lot for reporters without a PfCO (the reason he decided to get qualified). Surely the BBC who constantly publish stories about drone safety should be checking themselves on their own safety guidelines.

Having said that they could be operating with an OSC. Unlikely though.

Reactions: MavicScot and Piggy
The Dutch broadcasters do exactly the same. Frustrating.

I worked for the BBC as a director for about 5 years and I would be very surprised if they hadn't obtained the relevant permissions.

Every shoot needs to have a risk assessment filled out and they are very thorough (and a pain to write!).

That said, if not was an independent non BBC camera op, could be..

We commercial pilots see shots every day that nobody could get a permission for, not even with a special procedure. Thus we can safely conclude that some contractors are most probably amateurs.
I'm convinced the BBC itself wouldn't do illegal operations. Neither do our broadcasters. But they do show illegal shots every day.

Reactions: Blades
We commercial pilots see shots every day that nobody could get a permission for, not even with a special procedure. Thus we can safely conclude that some contractors are most probably amateurs.
I'm convinced the BBC itself wouldn't do illegal operations. Neither do our broadcasters. But they do show illegal shots every day.

Fair enough. You know better than I. Could even be that the risk assessment says there's a drone shot without specifying the composition. Thus almost worse as could be interpreted as knowingly dodgy.

The BBC have a strict policy on Drones but they use a lot of production companies nowadays. The days of the BBC actually filming shoots are near over. Its the third party production companies commissioned to do work for the BBC who take the risks.

Do you think it’s actually financially lucrative anymore in the UK to actually pay for a PfCO license and advertise as a business?

There are that many people shooting with drones does having a license and getting paid for a job actually work anymore or has the market become saturated therefore your lucky to get paid a couple of quid with the competition (if your lucky)?

Do you think it’s actually financially lucrative anymore in the UK to actually pay for a PfCO license and advertise as a business?

There are that many people shooting with drones does having a license and getting paid for a job actually work anymore or has the market become saturated therefore your lucky to get paid a couple of quid with the competition (if your lucky)?
Good point. As far as I see it, the golden days are over for good. Only the established operators with a customer base still are able to ask a decent price. Newcomers are having a very hard time.

Good point. As far as I see it, the golden days are over for good. Only the established operators with a customer base still are able to ask a decent price. Newcomers are having a very hard time.

I thought this much. I knew someone with their license who tried to start a drone business having left their normal day job and unfortunately had to return to their old job as the work didn’t materialise.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE