DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beach Vacation - Punta Cana (Bavaro)

looks good, now what settings do you use? I can't seem to dial in the camera yet, love the mavic but not loving the camera yet.

How did you end up getting permission to fly there? I hear it's impossible to get the permit. I'm going in April and would love to film there.

@jazzy2788 I didn't end up getting a permit. I looked into it about a month ahead of time and tried to phone IDAC (Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil) but had a lot of trouble communicating with them. I emailed afterward but received no response. Decided to just fly anyway and nobody bothered me. The resort security guards invariably came out and chatted with me out of their own curiousity.

One caveat is that helicopters fly quite low along that beach due to heli tourism, so I made sure I had constant LOS and kept and eye and an ear out for low flying R-22s. I think they were coming down as low as ~ 400 feet, so I also made sure to stay below that.

You can try to reach them if you like and might have better luck than I did:

809-221-7909
[email protected]

@josh lindhorst I just followed some video tutorials that seemed to make sense. I am still new to filming, and drone filming on top of that. So your mileage may vary.

Video settings

Camera / gimbal control

How did you end up getting permission to fly there? I hear it's impossible to get the permit. I'm going in April and would love to film there.
I've been researching the rules for flying in DR, and contacted the IDAC (www.idac.gov.do). They sent a 19 page PDF in Spanish which iTranslate had difficulty converting to English.:rolleyes:

Their definition of a Drone requiring a permit is between 2-25 Kilos. A Phantom or smaller doesn't need a permit, but they have similar rules to the US which do apply, VLOS and airports, ect.

If you want a copy of their 2015 Resolucion and guia requisitos, PM me your E-mail address and I can forward it to you.:)

BTW, I'm taking a Mavic over in May, hoping for good weather!

Reactions: dirkclod
No issues with airport security/customs... I have heard that they confiscate drones and batteries and hold them for a length of time if you have no permits is this not true? Also hear that they make you take out of case when leaving dr and then say they are not permitted and confiscate

I'm definitely leaning towards taking it… But don't feel like losing $1500 worth of drone and batteries because the airport security either doesn't know what it is and can't take it in… Or somehow told me I can't take it back home with me

Thats a valid concern. I didn't know about these rumours before I went, and might have thought twice about it if I had known.

That said, I had zero problems with customs on either end. I took the drone and 4 batteries as carry-on in a hard case pouch slung over my shoulder. Looks like a camera bag from the outside. Inside under x-ray it probably looks less like a drone than a Phantom or some other non folding drone. Doesn't have that "quad" shape. Perhaps that's what saved me?

Reactions: Fplvert
I took my mavic pro back in January 2017 with 1 battery in a carry on bag with my computer and dslr camera to the iberostar resort. No problems or questions asked with customs. I did take off the props and packed them in a separate bag so I could make the case that it was just being used for its stabilized camera. (Who knows if this would have worked) Also be mindful about when and where you fly. I never flew directly over the beach during peak times when a large number of people were out. I definitely recommend waking up early a few mornings and doing a sunrise flight. The video is amazing! Like other have said keep an eye out for helicopters. One last thing if you are close enough there is a ship wreck that is pretty cool to check out. Astron (ship) - Wikipedia

Yup, the wreck is pretty cool, its about 900m off shore so not a problem for the Mavic. My video has some shots of it!

For those who, like me, had trouble finding GPS coords for the ship, here you go: GeoHack - Astron (ship)

I found that the wind was lightest during the early morning (before 9am) and late afternoon/evening (4:30pm onward). During the mid day its still flyable but much more windy.

I know this is an old thread. My wife and I are thinking about making a trip Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I we decide to make the trip, I will bring the Mavic on this trip. Did you go there and brought the Mavic last April?.

I know this is an old thread. My wife and I are thinking about making a trip Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I we decide to make the trip, I will bring the Mavic on this trip. Did you go there and brought the Mavic last April?.

I went in August a couple of weeks back, go for it ! no one will ask you anything at the airport and customs. After that you are most likely staying at a resort so unless the resort security team prevent you from flying you are fine. i dident even ask. I just flew, no one bothered me.

Hi Guys,

I know this post is very old but I just bought my Mavic Air (like one week ago) and I'm thinking to take it to Punta Cana in next October. So I'm really afraid to lose and would like to know if any one had problems in the custom in this past year?

Cheers,
Everton

Hi Guys,

I know this post is very old but I just bought my Mavic Air (like one week ago) and I'm thinking to take it to Punta Cana in next October. So I'm really afraid to lose and would like to know if any one had problems in the custom in this past year?

Cheers,
Everton
Customs dont look in yours bags so i dont see an issue, and on my way out i just left it in my backpack which got scanned by security, and no questions asked. easy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu