DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Belgium - Licence and registration

kiribati

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Belgium, and now I'm looking for information about how to register and get a licence. I'm only interested in flying for recreation, but I've seen that the current legislation it's quite restrictive.

This is the official website: Drones | SPF Mobilité

Does anyone here has experience getting the licence? How much it cost? How long does it takes? Where can be done?...

Also, I've seen that the legislation it's going to change by "mid-2020" but does anyone know if this is already confirmed, and exactly when it's changing?

More info about the new legislation here: EUKA website

It might be an idea to simply 'fly under the radar' for a few months, from what I have seen posted here on the forum, the new EU drone rules will likely be less restrictive than what you have there now.

Those rules for recreational flying are fairly restrictive for sure.

If you want to use your drone for private purposes, it is not necessary to register it, to hold a certificate or a remote pilot license or to have an authorization for the flight. Theft (? Google translate) for private use is nevertheless subject to restrictions:
  • the drone can only be used for recreational purposes;
  • the maximum weight of the drone at takeoff must be less than 1 kg;
  • the drone cannot fly at a height exceeding 10 m above the ground;
  • the flight can only take place over private property. If the private land does not belong to you, you must have the authorization of its owner;
  • the drone must always remain within the visual range of the remote pilot;
  • the remote pilot must comply with general security measures (This hyperlink opens a new window).

Thanks for your answer!

I'm aware of the current limitation in Belgium, but 10m doesn't sound real at all, right?. That's why I'm considering the licence.

Although the new "EU rules" would be more than reasonable for me, so my other alternative is to wait until that. But those new regulations has an established date? I couldn't find out.

What about getting a mini in the meantime ?
That might get you through, and be under 250g etc, you can fly it legally there ?
Maybe the camera rule is already in place, not sure.

But after the rules change (not sure when this is, but soon ?) you will then be able to register all drones you have.
What do you fly now ?

It might be an idea to simply 'fly under the radar' for a few months, from what I have seen posted here on the forum, the new EU drone rules will likely be less restrictive than what you have there now.

Those rules for recreational flying are fairly restrictive for sure.

If you want to use your drone for private purposes, it is not necessary to register it, to hold a certificate or a remote pilot license or to have an authorization for the flight. Theft (? Google translate) for private use is nevertheless subject to restrictions:
  • the drone can only be used for recreational purposes;
  • the maximum weight of the drone at takeoff must be less than 1 kg;
  • the drone cannot fly at a height exceeding 10 m above the ground;
  • the flight can only take place over private property. If the private land does not belong to you, you must have the authorization of its owner;
  • the drone must always remain within the visual range of the remote pilot;
  • the remote pilot must comply with general security measures (This hyperlink opens a new window).
Suggesting that someone "FLY UNDER THE RADAR" is really bad advise and only helps promote Negitive attitudes toward the drone community as a whole...what will happen if a mishap accrues and someone gets hurt or property damage happens...what about being stopped my law enforcement checking credentials...just sounds very irresponsible to advise someone to do that...JMO...be smart fly safe

Reactions: kiribati
What about getting a mini in the meantime ?
That might get you through, and be under 250g etc, you can fly it legally there ?
Maybe the camera rule is already in place, not sure.

But after the rules change (not sure when this is, but soon ?) you will then be able to register all drones you have.
What do you fly now ?

I believe that distinction of under 250g doesn't exist here.
Those conditions for private use you post earlier are the only non-licence conditions.

Suggesting that someone "FLY UNDER THE RADAR" is really bad advise and only helps promote Negitive attitudes toward the drone community as a whole...what will happen if a mishap accrues and someone gets hurt or property damage happens...what about being stopped my law enforcement checking credentials...just sounds very irresponsible to advise someone to do that...JMO...be smart fly safe

Yes I know, there's smart flying and not smart flying though.
Remote areas is a possibility without risk.
Certainly wouldn't recommend flying urban or from ones balcony.

The mini idea is probably better, or even a lesser know brand under 250g, cheap to get some flight practice in.
It's hopefully in on July 1st, only 2-1/2 months away . . .

Reactions: kiribati
I believe that distinction of under 250g doesn't exist here.
Those conditions for private use you post earlier are the only non-licence conditions.

Not sure what the current ruling is on that or the new proposed rules.
Maybe just double check by ringing that dept directly, you can get some better and correct advice and fly as best you can within the rules / laws of the time.

Hello everyone. Brand new pilot from Belgium (Flanders) here.

I took my A1+A3 Open cathegory pilot certification according to the new EASA regulations in effect from 31st December 2020 and I registered myself as an operator with the civil aviation authority.

Technically I can fly pretty much everywhere with my DJI Mini 2 while respecting the EASA regulations.

However, I would like to ask if there are any other local laws in place, like getting additional approvals from ministry of interior defence or something like that? I know that some EU countries are still requiring an explicit approval of a flight plan submitted in writting to the ministry of interior defence.

I would like to avoid getting detained for filming a high rise building in Brussels for instance, just because I was not aware of additional local laws.

Thanks for your feedback.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998