DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Besides flying Drones.. What other hobbies does everyone enjoy?

1/5 rc buggys,boats,planes,helicopters, drones,,,speedway, fishing,motocross,cutting up cars,McDonald's, lots of beer and ofcourse trying to enjoy life

Reactions: Rchawks
In 2020 I decided to get a motocycle again, after 31 years. Picked up a Bonneville t120.
Enjoy riding it a lot more than I thought I would.
20210502_140415.jpg

I also have a couple John Deere garden tractors that have a few years on them. So I fix and work them.
20210718_161039.jpg
And now a drone to fill any gaps in time, lol.
This work thing really cuts into my play time.

No more Harley-Davidson for me, alas. It isn't the roads, it's some of the other people on them. *grumble grouse*

I like music, listening and making. My main synthesizer is a beautiful Moog Matriarch 'cos I can't afford $35,000 for a new unit of the synth I learned on back in the early 1970s, the mighty and majestic Moog Modular IIIC. Also an iMac Pro and a Win10 box packed with literally hundreds of software synths, sample players, effects units, and nearly 4 TB* of sound libraries (including the latest EastWest collection), accumulated over a couple decades; a Roli Seaboard Rise 49 MIDI controller, which looks like a keyboard that melted; a Roland AE-10 Aerophone (a delight for controlling AudioModeling's SWAM physically modelled software saxophones and other winds); Alesis Strike Pro electronic drum kit plus Tama Iron Cobra pedals, a nice big set with mesh heads so they feel like drums, not practice pads (usually used to control BFD, software that's Big and for Drums); mid-1990s MIM Fender Telecaster, Takamine classical guitar, Yamaha dreadnought I can barely fit my arms around, Ibanez four-string bass, and Cordoba tenor ukulele; for PA, a pair of Kustom HiPAC 12" mains and a pair of Kustom PA50 dual 4" mids | horn tweeters; for studio work, Focusrite Clarett audio interfaces all around, and Behringer Truth B2031A 8" monitors (cheap clones of Genelecs that run into the tens of thousands per speaker).

Golly, all typed out like that it looks like a lot of gear. *blink* So why do I always think, "Just need one more…"? [Narrator: "Gear Acquisition Syndrome — it's universal."]

I also enjoy photography and videography, computer programming, computer graphics, computer this, computer that, and of course computer the other thing. Oh, and hobby electronics. Give me an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi and I can move Archimedes.

Not sure this counts, since it's for food rather than fun, but: gardening. I said it's for food. Deer food, as often as not. Oh well, it's their land too. Anyway, did my indoor planting of tomatoes and peppers today, in anticipation of less snowstormy days ahead.

* Not a typo. Close to four terabytes of audio sample files, not counting actual compositions. Had to buy a 4 TB SSD to store it all, the old hard drive wasn't fast enough. Needless to say, all 100% legally acquired.

I've been a Scuba diver for thirty years. I also enjoy RC cars and helicopters too. I'm a former biker but stopped due to a bike accident about twenty years ago that ended my LEO career. I'm an online gamer (FPS and MMORPGS) and my bike accident allowed me to jump more into my hobby at the time, which I've now made my career. I'm a professional and successful actor and director and I've just become a producer on a $2m feature film that I'm starring in too.

I'm also a music maker, only with one mildly successful track in the public domain so far. I use a Yamaha DX7 and a Mini Moog, with some cheap Novation midi controllers but a bleeding edge home built PC. Making music is very much a hobby at the moment; my acting career takes focus.

Oh I'm a petrolhead too. I've bought and sold some lovely cars over the years.

Last edited:
This is an old thread and I'm not sure if I have posted to it before, but I'll have a go at it. Drones were a natural for me because I have had a life long passion for flying. I am a retired Corporate Pilot, having flown more than 18,000 hours. I never tired of it but I'm old and can no longer hold a Medical Certificate.

Beyond that, I had a passion for on road, sporting motorcycles. My health and my sense of survival have ended that hobby.

I have been a life long shooter and hand-loader, which I still do.

Back to drones. Buying a drone re-kindled and interest in Photography. I'm not fully immersed in still photography and have a Sony "Dream Kit" of cameras and lenses. I wonder why I'm broke? Go figure!

I like to combine hobbies. I love to backpack which helps me find great places to fly fish and do some photography.

I also have more guitars than I know what to do with. :cool:

I like to combine hobbies. I love to backpack which helps me find great places to fly fish and do some photography.

I also have more guitars than I know what to do with. :cool:
Handgun shooting, teaching it and getting people concealed carry certified. 50 years of it and still love it.

I restore old antique tube radios and vintage test equipment. Have working radios from 1920 to 1958. I get a certain amount of satisfaction bringing them back to life after being unusable for decades. Both my mavics were unusable when I bought them too.

I'm into model railroading. On30 (1/4" to the foot). But the pandemic put that on hold because venues for our exhibits closed their doors.

I got bored and decided to try drones. I'm retired and have an understanding wife.

This is my favorite locomotive:

Climax on setup track with log cars.jpg
It's a CLIMAX.

One reason I got into drones is the hope that once this pandemic is over, I can get good aerial shots of our very large group layout in action.

Ken

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I'm into model railroading. On30 (1/4" to the foot). But the pandemic put that on hold because venues for our exhibits closed their doors.

I got bored and decided to try drones. I'm retired and have an understanding wife.

This is my favorite locomotive:

View attachment 147876
It's a CLIMAX.

One reason I got into drones is the hope that once this pandemic is over, I can get good aerial shots of our very large group layout in action.

Ken
That's very cool. I've never thought of using a drone to video a large display. Great idea!
I've got a buddy that does similar work and has a model of the Yosemite Valley RR that is a big display. Perhaps you know him?

That's very cool. I've never thought of using a drone to video a large display. Great idea!
I've got a buddy that does similar work and has a model of the Yosemite Valley RR that is a big display. Perhaps you know him?
Probably not. I'm down in Orange County. I've been to Yosemite Valley RR, as well as Felton. I may know his name though.

besides flying drones, I like to read about drones, talk about drones, dream about em, pet my little drone, whisper to him, and he whispers back sometimes, he tells me that he likes it when I pet his little gimble, he likes looking around when I take his gimble cover off, he's a sweetheart.

New to drones, but i used to do road cycling till i was nearly knocked off by an idiot driver. used to collect tarantulas, only a few left now as married.
I do hunting, target shooting with air rifles.
Love my music.
Would love to try a paramotor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ