DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best display device?

Berf

Reactions
1. What is the single BEST display device for the Air2S?
2. What is the best BANG FOR THE BUCK display (phones excluded)?
3. What model Ipod Mini works best?

Reactions: tlswift58
I have just moved from a mini4 to a mini6. mini4 with iOS 14 became unusable because of video lag. However old mini2 with iOS 12 worked OK. mini6 is very powerful i.e. no video lag, caching of video on, photo sync on and I can record the screen too. Screen brightness is the same as the mini4. Sadly it is expensive, especially the 256G memory one.

1) Tripltek Tablets.

2) Tripltek Tablets.

3) As mentioned above, probably the mini 6 or 5. The mini 4 will get a CPU usage error due to the power hungry Go Fly app.

I had a mini 4 and almost purchased the mini 5, but the Tripltek tablet is brighter and has a battery that lasts all day.

I have the Tripltek Pro and the Tripltek 8 was just released.

Good feedback, question re the Tripltek @MA2 317 . . .

You are using the Air 2 controller, do you need a special mount for that or does it fit in the clamp area ok ?

I have older M1P and Spark drones, where the controllers fit the ipad mini 4 (and 5) in the arms just fine.
I know you have the Spark too, did you ever try the Tripltek in those arms by chance ?

I don't think it will fit, as the mini 4 is a bit of a squeeze, and that screen is 7.9cm, the Tripltek 8".

Just thinking, I might look for a Tripltek myself if it fits the arms ok . . . I do have a Lifthor mount I could use, and assume that would work with the 8" anyway, but very quick to just fly the mini 4 in the controller arms.

Reactions: MA2 317
Good feedback, question re the Tripltek @MA2 317 . . .

You are using the Air 2 controller, do you need a special mount for that or does it fit in the clamp area ok ?

I have older M1P and Spark drones, where the controllers fit the ipad mini 4 (and 5) in the arms just fine.
I know you have the Spark too, did you ever try the Tripltek in those arms by chance ?

I don't think it will fit, as the mini 4 is a bit of a squeeze, and that screen is 7.9cm, the Tripltek 8".

Just thinking, I might look for a Tripltek myself if it fits the arms ok . . . I do have a Lifthor mount I could use, and assume that would work with the 8" anyway, but very quick to just fly the mini 4 in the controller arms.

The Tripltek is too big for the Spark controller and it sort of fits the tablet holder I used when flying with the mini 4 and the Spark.

IMG_20211015_185419858~2.jpgIMG_20211015_185313789_HDR~2.jpg

The Tripltek will fit the MA2 controller with one of the adapters similar to the one used for the mini tablets.

I had one of the adapters but decided to purchase the LifThor Baldur rig since the Tripltek is heavy and I was afraid I may damage the antenna mast of the remote using the adapter.

IMG_20211015_185919698~2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and great photos, much appreciated :)
Looks like if I take it on it’s be Lifthor mount needed, not a deal breaker but a bit of extra time setting up, not a major problem except for short flights.

but a bit of extra time setting up, not a major problem except for short flights.

I customized my case so it will fit the controller with the holder attached to the remote.

IMG_20210320_213234274_HDR~2.jpg

I attach the tablet to the rig with the knob and plug in the cable when when I'm ready to fly.

It doesn't take any time at all to do.

If I had to attach and remove the frame every time, it would be time consuming.

Thanks for the feedback and great photos, much appreciated :)
Looks like if I take it on it’s be Lifthor mount needed, not a deal breaker but a bit of extra time setting up, not a major problem except for short flights.
I have the Lifthor and quit using it. Too bulky. I use this and love it: Tripltek Tablet adapter pack! | Mysite
It is quick, easy to use and stores well. I leave the lanyard adapter installed all the time.

I have the Lifthor and quit using it. Too bulky. I use this and love it: Tripltek Tablet adapter pack! | Mysite
It is quick, easy to use and stores well. I leave the lanyard adapter installed all the time.

Yes, I too find that with the Lifthor design, but it is sturdy and I can see the telemetry on both controller and device on the older M1P equipment.
Thanks for the link though, always good to know what's out there and someone here might be looking too.

Yes, I too find that with the Lifthor design, but it is sturdy and I can see the telemetry on both controller and device on the older M1P equipment.
Thanks for the link though, always good to know what's out there and someone here might be looking too.
While I don't have the Tripltek, my Lenovo 10 works great with the Skyreat adapter. It's aluminum (most of it) and pretty lightweight. Fits nicely on the Air2 RC as well.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
1. Tripltek seems to win hands down - yet very pricey - so that is a consideration for some.

2. Best bang for buck - 1,000 different answers from a 1,000 people. My Lenovo 10 MFD is not a bad tablet and has a decent price point. Like most tablets with lower "nits" - in direct sunlight it can be harder to see. Think the Tripltek is like 3-4x more nits (about 1,200) than the Lenovo (about 300) and probably the Apple stuff too. Don't own Apple, so no idea on their count.

3. Don't own Apple, so that is a moot point for me to discus. Many who do own Apple will chime in for sure.

2. 1,000 different answers from a 1,000 people.

Was my first thought . . .

Some will love the small easy setup of a phone, be it apple or android (and have the good eyes to deal with it !!)

Others will need / love the larger device 'space' on the screen, and on at least the go4 app you get more things showing on the larger screen, not sure about Fly, it seems simpler.

The brightness is a big one to consider, almost all of us fly on sunny days, and screens can be hard to see.
There are shades, and others learn to fly from under shade, and / or a big broad brimmed hat, etc.

I reckon start flying with a phone is ok, decide from there what you think might suit your needs.

I'm going to want a larger screen than a phone will give me, so what I'm searching for is a dedicated device to use with the Air2S, and I won't be purchasing a phone data plan for it. My main concerns are brightness and comparability.

I'm going to want a larger screen than a phone will give me, so what I'm searching for is a dedicated device to use with the Air2S, and I won't be purchasing a phone data plan for it. My main concerns are brightness and comparability.
Then you are going to want either a Tripltek 7 or Tripltek 8.

Reactions: MA2 317
My main concerns are brightness and comparability.

You will love the larger displays then, just that along makes viewing a lot easier.

I fly with an ipad mini 4 (450nits), the mini 5 is brighter at 500 nits, not sure about that latest mini 6, a quick search says 500 nits still.

The DJI smart controller is 1000 nits (5.5" screen), and the 7" Tripltek 1200 nits.
Both of these are android based I think.

So for $450 more when I buy the Air2S package, I can get the Mavic Smart Controller (5 inch screen) or I can spend $675 for the Tripltek 7 or $800 for the Tripletek 8.

So here's my question. Is the Tripletek really $250 - $350 better than the Mavic smart Controller?
At your age (121), I would think you'd want the biggest brightest screen you could find. ;) I started with a 5.5" Crystalsky and while it was bright, it was too small. The Smart Controller is the same size and like the CS it is old technology. For the Fly app, I bought the original Tripltek 7" when it first came out. I will probably upgrade to the 8" Tripltek next spring. Newer tech, larger screen, can be used as a tablet or a drone display. Can't do that with the Smart Controller. But the choice is up to you. iPad with larger screen but 500 nits, SC with small screen but 1000 nits or Tripltek with 7" or 8" screen and 1200 nits plus usage as a tablet on the side.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
So for $450 more when I buy the Air2S package, I can get the Mavic Smart Controller (5 inch screen) or I can spend $675 for the Tripltek 7 or $800 for the Tripletek 8.

So here's my question. Is the Tripletek really $250 - $350 better than the Mavic smart Controller?
Owning the SC - I'd have to say yes, a larger brighter screen is worth a couple hundred dollars.

The convenience of an all in one controller/screen like the SC is real, and shouldn't be dismissed, and if you have great vision, and looking at a 5 inch display at arms length allows you to read a micro-dot icon for battery status, the SC is almost bright enough 99% of the time. Like anything, your mileage may vary.

The convenience of an all in one controller/screen like the SC is real

Yep, just faster to get set up, no connecting a device to controller, one battery to be sure is charged before flight, one item to fire up to connect to drone directly.
If I ever get a drone that works with one, I will probably get a SC, even though the screen size is smaller than the ipad 4, 5, 6, Tripltek, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan